ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #60886
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I was considering it, there is another rally I'd like to attend as well as doing a few other trips has strapped both my time and cash. Send me a PM with your ideas on going
I'm going to make sure I can get the needed time off approved at work tomorrow, and then see if the campground CJ had the deal with still has sites and will let you know.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #60887
noob67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I originally thought you were fucking with us, but I looked at your post history and I suppose you might be legitimate. It would go a long way towards getting people to speak up and offer input if you completed your profile, listed a specific location, and made some sort of "hello" post introducing yourself.

Having said that, I don't think this is the place to ask to learn how to ride, nor how to ride "dirt". I understand you were not specifically asking people here to teach you, but obviously (based on responses) that was how it was perceived.

First off, no one knows you, and you don't know any of us. Teaching someone to learn to ride is a time consuming process, best left to someone who either likes you and will do it because you are friends or family, or someone who is getting paid to do it. Learning to ride requires that you select a good teacher, and again, since you don't know any of us, in the unlikely event you do hook up with a guy from here willing to teach you, he might turn out to be the worst fucking teacher ever and you'd have no way to know that. Also, some of these dudes are downright creepy, and it's entirely possible you might go into the woods with one of them on a "learning expedition" and wind up the subject matter of scary campfire stories for the next hundred years .

Second, "dirt" isn't the forte of this group. There are a few enduro level guys here, but most of us (myself included), are low to mid level riders who just plonk along on gravel roads or light off road stuff and just sort of explore aimlessly. While generally these sort of rides are open to anyone who cares to come along, there is an innate understanding that guys of similar skill set and with similar equipment ride together, and these rides are not the time to learn how to ride. They are great for honing skills, but not for creating them. See?

To answer your specific question, I would suggest this, more or less in this order:

-Contact people you know who ride (dirt or street) and pick their brains
-Go to a few motorcycle shops and nose around, ask questions, sit on some bikes, explain your situation to the sales guy and get his input
-Take a basic MSF street rider course (1-800-83-RIDER)
-Take a basic MSF dirt course
-Borrow a beater bike from a friend and do some riding on your own to develop some understanding of the skills you learned in the MSF course, then try to do a few rides with friends as you gradually gain confidence
-Look at local classifieds, Craigslist, etc., for a used bike that is in your price range and in the category you are interested in; take a buddy who knows more than you along to look at it
-Buy a bike, and begin riding it as much as you can, continuing to develop and hone the basic skills from the MSF course
-Read books, articles, and watch videos that will assist you in honing those skills - Rider Magazine's Staying Safe, the book Proficient Motorcycling, various non-buildit Youtube videos, and so on
-Take the MSF advanced course(s)

If you truly don't know anyone - family, friends, co-workers, neighbors - who rides and can render advice, then you have a harder road; but it's still totally doable. When I started riding, I was 21, had never been on a bike except once as a passenger on a Goldwing, and no one I knew had a bike except that Goldwing guy and he was no teacher. I bought an old Suzuki pretty much on a whim - only because it was cheap as hell and looked fun. I got a 10 minute lesson from the guy selling it about how to brake, shift, clutch, and so forth. It took me a few weeks to be able to get it out of first gear and into traffic without stalling it. I knew nothing about maintenance and paid a guy to adjust my chain and change my oil. Over the last 15 years I have gradually become a better rider and a little better mechanic (I change my own oil now, la dee fucking da! ), and have branched out to dual sport riding and involved other people I care about, like my wife, in the riding sports.

I guess the point here is this: while this is a great website, it's not a total beginners site. While a lot of guys here might say they would help you, the reality is no one is really going to want to help a total stranger with 0 experience. You're going to have to do this on your own, or at least start the process on your own by implementing the above suggestions.

Good luck.
lol alright, thanks for the advice sir, I appreciate it. I know that I am going to have to do it on my own, not really worried about it. More just looking for advice on some things about biking, but i do appreciate the input. I've gotten some good feedback from people here, so this site has gotten the job done for me so far.
-Thanks
noob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #60888
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob67 View Post
lol alright, thanks for the advice sir, I appreciate it. I know that I am going to have to do it on my own, not really worried about it. More just looking for advice on some things about biking, but i do appreciate the input. I've gotten some good feedback from people here, so this site has gotten the job done for me so far.
-Thanks
If I can make a suggestion.. 250-350cc dual sport. Streetable, but not losing too much dirt manner. Kinda best of both worlds for you in that regard. Plus you can practice on your own and enjoy all the rides posted here. Little bikes can go on big bike rides, or off to little bike rides that are more dirt oriented. The Wr250R seems to be one of the most popular 250's here.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #60889
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
If I can make a suggestion.. 250-350cc dual sport. Streetable, but not losing too much dirt manner. Kinda best of both worlds for you in that regard. Plus you can practice on your own and enjoy all the rides posted here. Little bikes can go on big bike rides, or off to little bike rides that are more dirt oriented. The Wr250R seems to be one of the most popular 250's here.
Come on this guy should buy my 426. I mean it is a actual dirt bike with lights is all and is set up for the MX track. What would be better?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #60890
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Come on this guy should buy my 426. I mean it is a actual dirt bike with lights is all and is set up for the MX track. What would be better?
A schwinn with a JATO duct taped to it? Yeah,that would work for him too..
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #60891
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,068
Quote:
But would he look as cool?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #60892
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Only if he's in pumpkin orange.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #60893
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Probably not for him but a lot of my stories start out with "I know this guy". He's a legend in my story circles which is about 6 people

I should send you some pictures you can keep in your wallet.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #60894
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:

That'd be perfect for you Dan, I rode with you once and you laid yourself out on the ground like a rag doll

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #60895
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,499
Danjal:

I'm done with those handguards, do you want them back or shall I pass them on to another needy soul?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #60896
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Hey everyone, long time no talk since I've had zero ADV screen time in quite awhile.

Hope you don't mind but I wanted to post here I'm selling two of our rides. Unfortunately the only seat time I get anymore is commuting on the KLR650 since our baby was born, and we're buying a new car this summer so it's time to say bye to some toys. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

2005 Suzuki VStrom DL1000:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/3918032456.html

And the wife's 2006 Honda Big Ruckus 250:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/3916420806.html

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #60897
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
That'd be perfect for you Dan, I rode with you once and you laid yourself out on the ground like a rag doll
Three times now at least. Braking down hill with nearly bald tw-42s was kind of an effort in futility,specially on that clay mess. My idea of using the outer sloped wall came about 3' short too. At least I roll good.

If you mean whitey's, I have a klx450r. I'll probably get it plated this winter. I had it down at Pete's for it's maiden voyage remember?

Danjal screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:43 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #60898
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Danjal:

I'm done with those handguards, do you want them back or shall I pass them on to another needy soul?
Either or, see if someone needs them,if not we'll work em back up here somehow. I'm tied up the next couple weekends chasing down machinery and parts kits.

Danjal screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:46 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #60899
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,499
Danville, Thursday, 1045am, little bikes for gravel, light off road, general exploring.

Alan, gonzo, a lurker dude, benly, me... anyone else?

Shit like this, at high speeds, with helpings of pie:

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:48 PM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #60900
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
I'm in...gonna be some slick, flooded shit down there this week.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote