Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #196
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,322
On Sunday I went on a way to an ambitious plan and didn't do anything all day except ride the hack rig around and end up exhausted.Did manage to take Justin for a hr long walk here: http://http://www.fws.gov/refuge/trempealeau/
Justin has managed to fulfill his terrier heritage , he's been on a streaky gopher killing binge in my back yard. He was a show/stud dog in a former life when I got him he had no idea what a squirrel was.
Stopped here :http://www.rocktonbar.com/
They cook 400 1/2 chicken dinners every Sun PM and riders from WI,MN,IA and IL show up to partake and kick tires always several hundred bikes there only one sidecar lots of trikes I have and anti trike bia's if I'm ever found driving one I have several folks who will euthanize me.
Changed final drive ratio's again from 3.1 to a 3.0 not much of a change I know I want to be able to run along in 6th over 60 and under 4500rpm this does it 4k rpm's is 61 and 4.5k is 68mph with 175/65/15 tires, we shall see about economy shortly.DB
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #197
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Economy Headway

Finally 33mpg with woman friend,Justin and windshield up driving WI back roads normally ! first tank in new FD was only 30 mpg though but there was lots of I'm having too much fun time ( going aggressively,chronic speeder) on that tank. I'm reasonably certain the economy sweet spot is between 3000 and 4300 rpm.DB

Dyno chart from San Jose BMW's web site stock gs 78 hp 69 ft torque, tweaked one 85 hp and 76 ftlb lower lines in top graph are torque curve, starts to pull hard at 3000rpm till 4500 a dip and then peak at 6500. I believe this confirms my thought that 3-4.5 k rpm is the most useable torque area(sweet spot). This is my old GS hot rod that has well over 90hp now in it's latest incantation.
Disclaimer: Hopping up BMW's is not for the weak of heart or fiscally conservative, in short don't do it !!!!!!!!

davebig screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 08:05 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #198
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Apparently I'm the problem !

Today's the 4th insignicant others working Justin and I went on a jaunt or two, yeaterday was out onto the great prarie flat steady throttle a bit of interstate only yeilded 32mpg.
Today down to the Mississippi River Valley, up and down look at the tourists everyones got his shiney whatever out, generally kind of boring and rode that way, almost 35mpg.I gotta get to be a better citizen.DB
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #199
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Best MPG I ever got was 36 with Kirby on board, windscreen removed, 6th gear, speed never over 55, flat road, still air. That was with the 31/11 FD.

Very difficult to not go over 55 for 200 miles so have never tried to duplicate that feat.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #200
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Best MPG I ever got was 36 with Kirby on board, windscreen removed, 6th gear, speed never over 55, flat road, still air. That was with the 31/11 FD.

Very difficult to not go over 55 for 200 miles so have never tried to duplicate that feat.
I'm guess I'm in good shape given that information. Woman friend Justin and I where out late this afternoon, lots of wind.I'm pleased with how it all feels 6th was fine at right angles to wind, head on I'm sure 5th would be more economical 4 k rpm is 55-56 in 5th,I'm pretty close to done may try a 145/80 front tire again so that I'm sure I like the little one better.The speedo hit 90k on way home it's currently of 10% but that means I've finally got about 8 k miles on the new top end it's running well and I have no complaints I'd like to try the road bike cams from the S,RS,RT but it's probably just a fools errand my dyno chart show's good power to 6500 rpm with the GS so be it.
Economy was down with all the wind 29.6 I'm guess that's to be expected.DB
If your thinking this guy likes the tweaking as much as riding you'd probably be right.DB
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #201
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
DB

Why do you care about mpg?

I just don't understand. There are so many other things that are more important.

You must be a miracle worker on final drive change-outs

JM2C Duncan
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #202
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
DB

Why do you care about mpg?

I just don't understand. There are so many other things that are more important.

You must be a miracle worker on final drive change-outs

JM2C Duncan
How's it going Duncan ? Old mechanics always want as much efficiency as possible, I worked for a guy years ago was the first and only local to get an engine dyno and later a chassis dyno he tuned by efficiency, but that was in the carburator era and it was allot harder, to get things right.DB

It's also somewhat irritating how really inefficient large motorcycles are and of course its a wind thing they just don't move threw the air very well lots of stuff sticking out.DB

davebig screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:38 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #203
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

One of my favorite little roads and why I like the winter tires I go up and down these all the time and it they are a little wet they turn to grease real fast.

The Nitto's last cruise down near Frontenac.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #204
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Off to Elkader IA Guzzi Rally

Not being real flush I'm not off to the BMW national, I may have set a record over 30 yrs of BMWMOA membership and I've never been to a national rally, so much for hale and hardy fellows well met.I believe I'm more a loner than a joiner.Or as Groucho said . "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
Justin,Mary and I are off to the Elkader IA Guzzi Rally one of the best little feeds you can attend the rally chair has a mini Schnauzer also so Justin will meet a new friend. Only problem it's always hot.
Drone is offended by my overbearing banter oh well, I thought his skin was thicker than it apparently is, my own ego gets out of control often. He'll get over it or not.At any rate I got a Panasonic Lumix camera on his and Coopdways recomendation great little camera. It took the images in the last post works great a little clunky to up load images but we'll get use to it.DB
Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #205
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
DB:
Which Lumix do you [and DRONE] have.
I need something better than my iPhone - "better" should also mean more idiot proof.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #206
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Elkader IA Moto Guzzi Rally

Last weekends fun actually it was cooler there than home in MN and did not rain.

Leaving Fri morning with and extra dog Lucy off to drop her off at the next sitter.

An early 60's Guzzi 2 stroke single and Aermacchi HD

Moto Morini 3.5 flat tracker with megaphones and she really barked and wheelied easily.

A CSM sidecar rig in an IA valley, all these secondary rds had lots of water damage(tropical spring) so lots of fresh gravel.

Things are very lush and green as they have been very wet, knats where thick.

The Odd Couple KLR and Globe WTF

Very nice Guzzi Sputnik for sale someplace I lost the info.

We walked down this one trying to figure out if the road was open.

Trusty Scout Schnauzer looking for hazzards we never did drive down as no tracks where recent using the GPS we turned around and found other end closed with and excavator sitting in a mud hole.

Another Guzzi single

Supper time the IA Guzzi rally is famous for its chow rural meals, roast beef Fri pork chops Sat and a Pancake Breakfast in there somewhere.Unusually poorly attended only about a 130 riders beautiful city park near Turkey River small town with a old Keystone bridge apparently the longest one west of Mississippi info here http://bridgehunter.com/ia/clayton/elkader/
Next outing will be WI Guzzi rally, less pretentious than BMW outings as their riders say " Going Out Of Business Since 1922" DB

davebig screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:19 PM
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #207
cuda
cuda

Oddometer: 30
Thumb Nice to find your posts

Met you after I had breakfast on my wet ride home from the Iowa BMW Rally. '08 Vstrom you followed me for awhile asked if I was ok when I had to check in (finally had phone service).

See you maybe next year at the MN BMW Rally? or Maybe I'll try the Going out of Business event... Doing the Very Boring Rally III in about a month. Cuda.
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #208
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Well my sometime Monkey and I went down to the Mississippi for lunch and I remembered someone had reported Sand Hill Cranes in Weaver Bottoms so we did a little off road and looking.

Weaver Bottoms back waters created where Whitewater river flows into Mississippi lots of wildlife and trout.

A pair of Sand Hill Cranes as soon as we stopped they moved off so we couldn't see them that little Lumix is a hell of a camera they where 200 yds away easily.

Huge mud hole in Snake Creek ATV area where we turned around, its a atv offroad motorcycle area we got around better than I expected but left with little exploring will try again when its dryer. as I said in my other thread 33/11 with 24" wheel a GSA is not geared deep enough,damn.

My sometime Monkey and his dog Millie he's a LEO an she had been a ferrel dog he helped the animal control folks capture her then adopted her from the pound oddly enough she and Justin get along well.DB
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #209
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Well my sometime Monkey and I went down to the Mississippi for lunch and I remembered someone had reported Sand Hill Cranes in Weaver Bottoms so we did a little off road and looking.

Weaver Bottoms back waters created where Whitewater river flows into Mississippi lots of wildlife and trout.

A pair of Sand Hill Cranes as soon as we stopped they moved off so we couldn't see them that little Lumix is a hell of a camera they where 200 yds away easily.

Huge mud hole in Snake Creek ATV area where we turned around, its a atv offroad motorcycle area we got around better than I expected but left with little exploring will try again when its dryer. as I said in my other thread 33/11 with 24" wheel a GSA is not geared deep enough,damn.

My sometime Monkey and his dog Millie he's a LEO an she had been a ferrel dog he helped the animal control folks capture her then adopted her from the pound oddly enough she and Justin get along well.DB
Lots of Sand Hill cranes here in FL, they can be noisy...
I've found that most dogs have more sense than we humans. If they could post you wouldn't find them dissin' each other!

Saw this on someone's FB page: "I didn't infer there was something wrong with your post, but if the shoe fits, lace that bitch up and wear it"!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #210
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Twain knew men and dogs

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”

Or better yet
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me.
― Mark Twain
I understand self deprecating humor and there is allot of folks on these forums who think this is important it's not.

davebig screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 06:18 AM