Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
hooligan67 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Q: Ideal Weight distribution for Tug/Tub?

What is the ideal weight distribution between the Tug and Tub?
I have myself as the pilot at 200lbs, the chair monkey at 200lbs and a pillion passenger at 100lbs.
On top of this I have about 70lbs of gear that needs to be distributed?
Thanks for your insight and inevitable comments....
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Weight should be within the 'Triangle of Safety' for safest and best location.

Triangle in plan form (viewed from above) formed along bike centre line from front spindle to rear spindle and from front & rear spindle to sidecar wheel spindle.

That`s the utopian ideal,but it`s never exactly that.

Just try to spread it evenly and defo avoid heavy loading on the front of the chair if you`ve got a nose rack...I just put bulky but light stuff like sleeping bags and ground mats on the front.

Really weighty stuff goes in soft throwover panniers between the tractor seats on my Urals.

Other stuff on the rear rack and in the sidecar boot,trying to keep the heavier items nearer the front of the rack or boot than at the back where its totally outside the 'Triangle'.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......

Tarka screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 01:15 PM
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan67 View Post
What is the ideal weight distribution between the Tug and Tub?
I have myself as the pilot at 200lbs, the chair monkey at 200lbs and a pillion passenger at 100lbs.
On top of this I have about 70lbs of gear that needs to be distributed?
Thanks for your insight and inevitable comments....
See this from another thread on this forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=54

You don't say what kind or size sidecar you have. I think a pillion passenger is a recipe for disaster in most cases.
Sidewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
hsblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan67 View Post
On the bike you have 300 lbs straddling the tip over line between the front and rear wheel. That line comes into play on turns toward the sidecar. Load your saddlebags with that in mind.

Henry
hsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
hooligan67 OP
Adventurer

Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Weight should be within the 'Triangle of Safety' for safest and best location.

Triangle in plan form (viewed from above) formed along bike centre line from front spindle to rear spindle and from front & rear spindle to sidecar wheel spindle.

That`s the utopian ideal,but it`s never exactly that.

Just try to spread it evenly and defo avoid heavy loading on the front of the chair if you`ve got a nose rack...I just put bulky but light stuff like sleeping bags and ground mats on the front.

Really weighty stuff goes in soft throwover panniers between the tractor seats on my Urals.

Other stuff on the rear rack and in the sidecar boot,trying to keep the heavier items nearer the front of the rack or boot than at the back where its totally outside the 'Triangle'.
Thanks Tarka,
I figured this would be the way to go, but appreciate the 'triangle of safety' definition.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
No disaster recipe here. I checked your profile and see you have a BMW 1200 GSA with a EZS RX5 Roadster, a very substantial rig. I have an EZS RX5 conversion on a Honda ST1100. Even though it's a 1 1/2 wide sidecar if you can't get both passengers in it your seating arrangement would be correct providing your small pillion passenger has some grab rails to hold on to, side forces can be quite strong in tightening sweepers. I'd keep that 70 lbs of luggage in the sidecar trunk up close to the seatback. Leave the panniers for the real light stuff.
Sidewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
hooligan67 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewise View Post
No disaster recipe here. I checked your profile and see you have a BMW 1200 GSA with a EZS RX5 Roadster, a very substantial rig. I have an EZS RX5 conversion on a Honda ST1100. Even though it's a 1 1/2 wide sidecar if you can't get both passengers in it your seating arrangement would be correct providing your small pillion passenger has some grab rails to hold on to, side forces can be quite strong in tightening sweepers. I'd keep that 70 lbs of luggage in the sidecar trunk up close to the seatback. Leave the panniers for the real light stuff.

Thanks for the reassuring words of advice, Sidewise. I planned on stuffing the sleeping bags in the side cases and leaving the other gear for the trunk.
Cheers!
Looking forward to hitting the road and heading to Salem next week for the MOA Rally.