Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #376
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
It's funny how it's 'spotted' by a professional photographer.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #377
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I don't see very many in that class, BMW 800 and Triumph, who else? I wish there were more in that size.

I'd still like to find a 750 twin ADV bike to replace my KLR650. I need something that will cruise 75 mph on the freeway comfortably and carry 2 people when needed for shorter more off-road oriented rides without being the beast my Stelvio is. The Stelvio is awesome for long distance work but rather "beastly" for anything more than a graded dirt road.

I'd like some thing along the lines of a KTM 750 Super Enduro that was passenger friendly and didn't take 3 hrs to service. I don't really need "race ready", but more dirt capable than a Wee would be very nice.
Hmmm...could include some thumpers I guess, but they aren't really 'adventure bikes', more like big dualsports. KTM 690, Husky TR650, BMW Sertao. I understand Altrider did a built up NTX honda (or whatever it is) that was pretty darn cool. But I guess you're right, there's not a lot to choose from either. A DR650 I guess.

In the latter, you are describing the Tiger XC. Absolutely phenomenal bike. Don't go ride one unless you're prepared to plunk down the $$ for one. They are that good. But alas, about four grand more than a 650 VStrom
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #378
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hmmm...could include some thumpers I guess, but they aren't really 'adventure bikes', more like big dualsports....... But I guess you're right, there's not a lot to choose from either. A DR650 I guess.

In the latter, you are describing the Tiger XC. Absolutely phenomenal bike. Don't go ride one unless you're prepared to plunk down the $$ for one. They are that good. But alas, about four grand more than a 650 VStrom
I did ride both the 800 and 800XC. I'd say the 800XC is getting pretty close, but it's a tad more on the street side than I'd prefer for this purpose.

I'm thinking a modern Africa twin 750. I really like the transverse narrow angle V-twin layout for a slim ride in the dirt. KTM is on the right track if they scale down the 990 and loose a few yards of plastic.

Maybe this it a bit too far off topic, sorry if it is. I should be posting this stuff in some thread named "what I wish the Wee was....."
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #379
tokyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Apparently Yamaha has indicated that "there is lots of interest in Yamaha in an adventure version" of the new FZ-09 with the triple. That was on a Facebook page I think..

With the FZ09 at 414lbs wet and 113 HP an ADV model that targets the Tiger XC could be just what you (and a bunch of others) are looking for. Especially if they keep the price close to the FZ'z $8k MSRP.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #380
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
Apparently Yamaha has indicated that "there is lots of interest in Yamaha in an adventure version" of the new FZ-09 with the triple. That was on a Facebook page I think..
My YSP dealer in Japan said it's already in the works.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #381
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post

With the FZ09 at 414lbs wet and 113 HP an ADV model that targets the Tiger XC could be just what you (and a bunch of others) are looking for. Especially if they keep the price close to the FZ'z $8k MSRP.
It would make a ton of sense. It's clear Yamaha has Triumph in their sights and they understand the ADV market very well. Bring it on!!!

I'm hoping they pump up their ADV bike line up here, hopefully bringing in the 660 Tenere. There's very little to compete with that bike here right now, at least off the shelf. The KLR/DR are both more than a few steps behind the 660 Tenere.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #382
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
, hopefully bringing in the 660 Tenere. There's very little to compete with that bike here right now, at least off the shelf. The KLR/DR are both more than a few steps behind the 660 Tenere.
Thats a matter of opinion.

In NZ we have the DR, KLR and 660 Tenere. I know a couple of guys that have ridden and/or owned both bikes and there's pro's and con's each way. The Tenere is more comforatble on the road and has a better screen but it's also much heavier with a much higher centre of gravity. On unsealed roads there doesn't seem to be much in it but it seems generally accepted that once the going gets rough the Tenere is not as good off road.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #383
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
not congested in the Japanese mfg. segment!
only other option is the Super Tenere at will be more $ than this bike.
there are ALOT of riders that want to be on Suzuki reliable bikes plus many more that are ready to dump BMW because of issues and cost.

what is this new magical bike category that might appear?

people have move from sport tourers to these bikes because they are more comfortable and upright. people buying these are older riders who want comfort. don't see that age segment going any other direction. in the US we have too many cars on the paved roads yet tons of empty easy dirt roads. these bikes can ride those where as pure street bikes cannot. these bikes also have longer suspensions for bad paved roads all over the world. what other bikes have that plus the ability to travel long distances with passengers and luggage.

don't see this segment going anywhere but straight up!!!

Well, Honda Crosstourer and Kawi Versys 1000 should also be counted into this category, even though they are very much street-oriented. I don´t know, if you get these models in the US, though.

The trends have always come and gone in motorcycle industry, just like everywhere else. Ten years ago, sportsbikes were a big thing. And now their sales are close to zero, and the factories don´t even want to make new sport-models, because they don´t sell. Personally I´m glad to see, that ADV bikes have become so popular, as they´ve always been to my personal taste, and are very capable for almost anything. I certainly don´t mind, if they´ll stay popular for a long time.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #384
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...#axzz2YZtZMRZp

These "spy" pics were taken in the German Alps by a motorcycle magazine photographer who just so happened to know a ton about Vstroms.
Lucky shot for him, eh

Joking aside, it looks a nice bike.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #385
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Interesting, those "spy pics" give the bike much less of a Darkwing duck appearance than the red concept bike. I rather like it in white.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #386
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Thats a matter of opinion.

In NZ we have the DR, KLR and 660 Tenere. I know a couple of guys that have ridden and/or owned both bikes and there's pro's and con's each way. The Tenere is more comforatble on the road and has a better screen but it's also much heavier with a much higher centre of gravity. On unsealed roads there doesn't seem to be much in it but it seems generally accepted that once the going gets rough the Tenere is not as good off road.
Hmm, interesting feedback. I'll take your word for it as we don't get to compare them here. The 660 sure appears much more modern.

I wish we had the opportunity to purchase the larger offerings from Honda and Kawasaki......... grrrr. I know somebody who works at Kawasaki and they brought in the Versys 1000 for the employees to evaluate. In the end the powers that be decided it wouldn't sell enough to warrant getting it passed through the US regs, bummer. I think they may have been wrong but I don't know the costs of getting it approved for sale here. Our vehicle regs keep us from getting a lot of nice things......, super grrrrrr.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #387
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Interesting, those "spy pics" give the bike much less of a Darkwing duck appearance than the red concept bike. I rather like it in white.
I noticed that too, they must have come to their senses and redesigned the beak.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #388
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
In a few years all adventure bikes will look the same. Like what happened to the Cell Phone. On the up side, the bike manufactures will be continuing to offer more sophisticated bikes that work better each year and have more features.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #389
Pablodakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
nice Trail, and reliable (a lot... maybe, the best).

but suzuki can make a dual-sport with minor changes:

DR Big 1000?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #390
tokyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I am actually liking the underbelly exhaust systems that more bikes have lately, like Buell, Versys, New FZ-09 etc, and the way it cleans up the rear of the bike.

This looks a little bit like they forgot about the exhaust until the design was complete and had to stick it somewhere. I know of course that wasn't the case, but I wish they could have tucked it in somewhere..