Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #76
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Play with the air pressure. Could be building up with heat if you are riding hard. Check cold and hot. Looks like you are running a Little harder into lefties and not right handers....lol. Swaybar? Yes unhook it and see what happens....but slow down ... just kidding.
Allot of this is like driving my old RX7 Mazda slower and smoother is faster, I've been going way to hard to the left and not hard enough in the rights.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #77
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Dead an Dying Nitto

If anyone had a clue as to why this happened please tell me.
It's probably the swaybars fault ! Damn the Dude and full speed ahead.DB
Isn't that the wheel you had a hard time getting it to hold air? Did you get that fixed? It looks like overinflation on the center rib, but that wear on the right side maybe happened on one of your underinflated trips? Dunno. Also, mebbe you should get somebody to measure your leanout while you are sitting in the saddle and the rig all loaded up? I should do that too sometime.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #78
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

I fixed that wheel awhile back and kept pres between 26-32 and nothing seemed to slow the tires erosion.I'm beginning to think Strokers right run what is suggests on the sidewall.DB
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #79
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

I'm getting experience !

Even a blind sow finds an accorn once in awhile.It was a really out of round tire as soon as I left the driveway with the new Blizzak on the back I knew what was wrong with it.DB
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #80
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

tonights ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Isn't that the wheel you had a hard time getting it to hold air? Did you get that fixed? It looks like overinflation on the center rib, but that wear on the right side maybe happened on one of your underinflated trips? Dunno. Also, mebbe you should get somebody to measure your leanout while you are sitting in the saddle and the rig all loaded up? I should do that too sometime.
Drone get a small torpedo level with a magnetic edge, attache it to your brake disk front or rear look at it if you have no help set the timer on the Lumix and set it on a milk crate and climb aboard.
I have slight lean in unloaded and and a pretty much straight bike loaded, lean left for right pull and right for left pull throw away your crown compensator and get a swaybar.DB

Blizzak much better braking on loose gravel roads, my bad tire must not have been very round, I noticed that as soon as I got underway with new tire, much smoother less vibration apparently Nitto was bad from the start.Onward and forward.DB
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #81
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Stroker Front Wheel

I may have to start an ego thread about my rig to show the changes I've made to it.

Regardless, latest modification is the addition of a Stoker designed and built front wheel. Here's what it looks like naked sitting on his truck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's what it looks like with tire and mounted on my rig:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Plenty of fender clearance. I mounted a Vredestein Sprint Classic 155 80 15 - I also have a Snow+ in 155 that I'll try later. The Sprint profile seems a little rounder and narrower than Snow+

Stroker color-matched the brake rotors to my rig. Beautiful job.

Duncan
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #82
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
Looking nice, Duncan! Looking forward to your impressions after a few hundred miles
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #83
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 168
front wheel

Duncan, it looks better on the front of your BMW than the back of my GMC! I hope you like the ride and handling, which is the the point after all. Hopefully your mechanical issues are behind you, and have a great time at the national rally.
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #84
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

It shouldn't take a couple hundred miles, more turning and braking power is evident right off I'll be dumbfounded should he not like it,all that and the motorcycle front tire no longer seems to disappear before your very eyes.DB
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #85
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
I'm on the Oregon coast due west of the rally. Got 4700 miles on my Metzeler ME880 now and while it has worn better than any other front I've tried if it gets me all the way home to Vermont without a change I'll be surprised.

Duncan, I really want to connect with you at the rally to check out this latest mod. Looks like just the ticket.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #86
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Back from the lunatic fringe !

It was raining most of the morning and I promised myself if I had nothing to do for a bit I'd switch front tires and give the 145/80/15 more of a chance vs the 145/65/15 I've been running.

The little 145/65 I'm sure it also decreases trail as it steers super easy especially around town and at less than hwy speeds.Handles like a go kart but needs a steadier hand on the bars is more nervous in a crosswind.

The 145/80/15 Nankang since I think front wheels are just gyros this is a bigger one almost 1 3/4".Its not near as nervous at hwy speed requires greater steering effort and though not as much fun probably a better deal all round.

Tire size calculator
The larger tire goes left at hwy speed better than the little one or I'm getting better.DB

Another thought with the 175/65's in back and on the chair,and the 145/80 in front we're real close to the same diameter everywhere.

davebig screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 07:53 AM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #87
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
Is that directional tread ? Looks like a great rain tire.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #88
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

The top ones a Blizzak, the lower a Nankang 668 which appears to be a Tiawanse copy of an older Brigstone all season, both pretty good tires.DB
Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #89
ms-r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
I may have to start an ego thread about my rig to show the changes I've made to it.

Regardless, latest modification is the addition of a Stoker designed and built front wheel. Here's what it looks like naked sitting on his truck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's what it looks like with tire and mounted on my rig:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Plenty of fender clearance. I mounted a Vredestein Sprint Classic 155 80 15 - I also have a Snow+ in 155 that I'll try later. The Sprint profile seems a little rounder and narrower than Snow+

Stroker color-matched the brake rotors to my rig. Beautiful job.

Duncan

hello,

in which you buy your wheel
because it is very beautiful!

ms-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #90
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Back to the future

Anyone want to buy some 15" car tires I got 175,145's some interesting choices, I needed one tire to try the 165/80/15 again to contrast them to the 175/65's so I bought two Vredestien 165/80s one for pusher and chair to keep things square, the Vreds are taller than the same size Nankangs pretty much 2-3 mph for the same engine speed vs the 175/65 with my 33/11 it lets me run 5th up to 59mph @4krpm. Larger tires roll easier that's evident if I where out west and dealing with Mtn roads like Drone or the PNW lads I beleive I'd want lower gears hell I might want them here in a couple places.\
A tire chart they're an 1.5" diffirent height I'm again surprised about the speed difference.