Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Yeah, I've been to Europe and Asia, doesn't change anything.
You must ride a scooter, or make Flintstone stops...probably the latter.
Parking a scooter is easy in areas where you would have to walk 20 minutes to the nearest available park to fit a full sized bike.

A flindstone stop is perfectly fine if you have adequate footwear. Better than falling over and needs a lot less skill than a quick kick to the ground (I had to do that just yesterday to save a fall in city riding - hurt a bit with only joggers on, but less than gravel rash/broken bones).

PS: I have never ridden a scooter and cannot remember ever doing a flindstone stop.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
whvaughn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
also, beware GPS directions/instructions

I travel a decent amount for work and am often driving rental cars and using GPS to try to find my way around (though I tend to study a map first, before taking off just to have a better idea of the route).
I've noticed several times the GPS has instructed me to do a U-turn at the next available/safe opportunity. I have to say, U-turns scare the hell out of me precisely because of situations such as the OP described. I find that two things help:
1) Having studied a map first I have an idea where I'm going, so I'm not blindly following GPS. This way, I no if I need to backtrack and feel confident finding a more appropriate approach
2) Instread of doing a u-turn I continue to the next light and "take the long way around" (which usually takes only a few minutes at most OR find a parking lot to safely turn around in.

While GPS is very helpful, I do think some drivers focus way too much on exactly what the GPS is telling them and fail to scan the environment and other vehicles around them. Not saying this happened with OP, just a general observation/speculation.
whvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
This article might explain why you didn't see that scooter. It should be required reading for all drivers and riders.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/
Has anyone bothered to read this? Extremely informative, might save your life or someone else's...
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
There was a show on the Science Channel the other day about the brain and how it can be distracted/tricked into filtering out certain information. They did a number of real time experiments that the viewers (me for one) participated in. Damn if they didn't trick me into missing both a guy in a giant Rabbit suit and another in a giant Penguin suit mixed in with a genetic dance crew. Just the fact that they had me trying to count how many dancers stepped into a circle on the stage had my brain completely filter out the Rabbit and Penguin (and both were as big if not bigger than the dancers) walking across the stage and mixing in with the dancers.
I watched the same show. I noticed both the rabbit and the penguin, but I couldn't tell you how many times the dances stepped into/out of the circles. The way they introduced the whole show, and the dance routine, made me pay less attention to the "primary" attraction and more to the "background".

I'm not sure how this relates to driving/riding, but I wonder if the way I think helps to filter out the "noise", and concentrate more on the things that could be an issue. I tend to not see cars as more than large things that can kill me. More than once a friend has told me that I rode right past them without acknowledging them, and my response has always been "I don't recognize individual cars, just that they are cars and trying to kill me".

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Kind of funny how everyone is being so nice to you because you ride. Any other time everyone on this forum would be calling you every bad name in the book and wishing for your death. Maybe riders should realize that maybe drivers are not really out to kill them. Sometimes bad things just happen.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
I'm doing a job now in Catania, Sicily. Today I was trying to find my way back to my hotel and I needed to make a U-Turn. I pulled off, carefully looked both ways, and proceeded to pull out. Just then, as my car entered the roadway, I saw a young man on a scooter, brakes locked, both feet down on the pavement, headed right for my door. I punched the accelerator and fortunately I had a car with something under the hood (big Volvo S60 turbo diesel) and was able to literally JUMP out of his way. I'll never understand how I got enough traction to pull away that fast.

It was 100% my fault and I've been kicking myself all day long for it. The motorcyclist was, however, doing 3 things that I think he should consider changing to improve his chances of survival.
1) He had no headlight
2) He was riding really fast
3) The color of his bike blended in almost perfectly with his surroundings.

I am always VERY careful and respectful with regards to those on 2 wheels and I don't have to tell you why. I simply didn't see this guy. I may as well have been trying to dodge a bullet given his speed and lack of visibility. If this can happen to me, what happens when cagers are busy texting, eating, talking on their phone, or simply don't give a $h_t? This is food for thought and even though I cringe at intersections now when I ride, my pucker factor just went up another notch.

Cheers
Had you not been scanning 360 degrees while driving along, before pulling off?

Did you signal before your pull-off?

Did you again signal, while checking traffic, before starting the U-turn?
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some are herders, search and rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our dogpark, our swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
Tenni126
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I lived in and around Catania for nearly five years. If you've never been, you should. In my opinion the food on Sicily is as good as it gets. Having operated both bikes and cars there extensively during my tour, I gotta say I absolutely understand how these things can happen. Everyone's quick to judge, but it's pretty chaotic on that island. Glad it worked out.
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote