Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #5296
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
With all this talk about 'windshields', how fast are these bikes really able to travel once broken in? I rode the bike home yesterday from the dealer and saw 74mph. Are windshields really needed? Trying to wrap my head around a windshield off road.
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #5297
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
With all this talk about 'windshields', how fast are these bikes really able to travel once broken in? I rode the bike home yesterday from the dealer and saw 74mph. Are windshields really needed? Trying to wrap my head around a windshield off road.
Windshield?...offroad?....well not that big monster, but something no taller than the mirrors is totally unobtrusive offroad in my opinion. BUT if you ride predominately secondary roads, consider the "un-fun level" of 4 or 5 hours in the rain, 2 or 3 days away from home-base without some wind/rain protection.

And...in my opinion, my opaque white windscreen (i.e. you can't the front wheel) forces you to focus down the road further, and is a good thing.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 01:26 PM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #5298
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Windshield?...offroad?....well not that big monster, but something no taller than the mirrors is totally unobtrusive offroad in my opinion. BUT if you ride predominately secondary roads, consider the "un-fun level" of 4 or 5 hours in the rain, 2 or 3 days away from home-base without some wind/rain protection.

And...in my opinion, my opaque white windscreen (i.e. you can't the front wheel) forces you to focus down the road further, and is a good thing.
Gotcha! That makes sense.
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #5299
ScootToots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Well, I guess a windscreen is not really NEEDED, but it sure is APPRECIATED on the highway, especially if you are riding near top speed for over an hour.

Here in B.C., we have limitless opportunities for rough dirt road and off road riding. That means highway miles to get there. With all the possibilities, you want to go further afield to check things out; maybe take a long road trip punctuated with some awesome dirt riding.

The TCI Adventure Windscreen pictured in my post above, is a godsend if you are riding significant miles. It just makes the ride so much more pleasant.

And off road? I haven't yet found that the screen is too tall. I can lean far over the bars on steep uphills, and the screen is no where near me.

I find it best to question the common perception, and instead, test things out for myself.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #5300
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Tool kit

Poking around on the tool kit thread, anybody with a Wolfman Peak tail bag tried to stuff a MotionPro 24mm tire spoon in there diagonally? MP spoon says 10", but if you click more details, it says 13".

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62998&page=115

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....&product_id=85

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...productDetails

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 01:59 PM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #5301
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Poking around on the tool kit thread, anybody with a Wolfman Peak tail bag tried to stuff a MotionPro 24mm tire spoon in there diagonally? MP spoon says 10", but if you click more details, it says 13".

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62998&page=115

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....&product_id=85

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...productDetails
Go with Motion Pro 08-0051 8-1/2" Enduro Pro Tire Irons in your on-board tool kit...having a 3rd stubby cheapie from maybe cycle gear is real handy...get some big whoppers to keep in the garage...with a tire changing stand...where 99% of your tire changing will actually happen. The smaller tire irons are fine for small 18 and 21" tires like the CRF....if you've got a big 17" rear like the KLR650....you need bigger tire irons. If weight is important and $$ isn't, MP makes titanium ones in the 8.5" style...that weigh ounces. I had some of the spoon/wrenches and didn't like them
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #5302
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootToots View Post
Well, I guess a windscreen is not really NEEDED, but it sure is APPRECIATED on the highway, especially if you are riding near top speed for over an hour.

Here in B.C., we have limitless opportunities for rough dirt road and off road riding. That means highway miles to get there. With all the possibilities, you want to go further afield to check things out; maybe take a long road trip punctuated with some awesome dirt riding.

The TCI Adventure Windscreen pictured in my post above, is a godsend if you are riding significant miles. It just makes the ride so much more pleasant.

And off road? I haven't yet found that the screen is too tall. I can lean far over the bars on steep uphills, and the screen is no where near me.

I find it best to question the common perception, and instead, test things out for myself.

Cheers
Well said!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5303
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Go with Motion Pro 08-0051 8-1/2" Enduro Pro Tire Irons in your on-board tool kit...having a 3rd stubby cheapie from maybe cycle gear is real handy...get some big whoppers to keep in the garage...with a tire changing stand...where 99% of your tire changing will actually happen. The smaller tire irons are fine for small 18 and 21" tires like the CRF....if you've got a big 17" rear like the KLR650....you need bigger tire irons. If weight is important and $$ isn't, MP makes titanium ones in the 8.5" style...that weigh ounces. I had some of the spoon/wrenches and didn't like them
Thanks. I have some cheapo J C Whitney forged "irons" I've used for years. Just thinking the MP with a 24mm end will work for the rear axle nut, as well, two birds with one stone. I've got a crescent wrench that will fit, but probably need vise grips to hold the other side of the axle from turning. Last time I adjusted the chain in the garage, with all the tools, the other side wouldn't catch. I'm thinking worst case out in the boonies, for what I'm needing, MP spoon/24mm versus more heavier stuff. I torque in the garage, but use a "calibrated hand" when out in the wild. Flea market last week got 12/10mm open end for chain adjust, for $1. Not Craftsman but forged. Not wanting to take stuff from my home kit to put in the bike toolkit. Kit is "getting there".

Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #5304
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Are you talking about this wrench?
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0287/

I can fit three of them crossways in my Wolfman enduro tool bag, which is only 8" long. You should have no problem fitting them in the larger bag.
Yup, that be the one. Needing the 24mm for the rear axle nut. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #5305
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Yup, that be the one. Needing the 24mm for the rear axle nut. Thanks!
Forgot to make the point that the shape of the tip of the tire iron is absolutely critical...not just for getting the bead separated from the rim, but also for precluding doing a "snake-bite" on the tube when you put the new or repaired tube back into the bead....it's a skill I've only acquired at the 75% level. Enduro guys massage the tips of their tire irons, and I've seen guys replace the tubes in SECONDS...it's mind boggling how quickly they do it!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #5306
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Forgot to make the point that the shape of the tip of the tire iron is absolutely critical...not just for getting the bead separated from the rim, but also for precluding doing a "snake-bite" on the tube when you put the new or repaired tube back into the bead....it's a skill I've only acquired at the 75% level. Enduro guys massage the tips of their tire irons, and I've seen guys replace the tubes in SECONDS...it's mind boggling how quickly they do it!
Yeah, snake bite. That's why after patching the tube on the front after a flat, I just went ahead and converted to TUbliss, even though I hadn't purchased spoke weights yet. MP stuff is $, but probably worth the weight loss.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #5307
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weevrider View Post
Has anybody tried a Cyclerack rack on their LRP. I had one on my TW200 and loved it. My new LRP is on order but I haven't seen too many pics with one on.
Love to hear how it shapes up to the others out there like the Manrack etc.

Andrew
Andrew, I have a Cyclerack on my LRP. I waited for about a month for them to get photos up on thier website. I am glad I waited but a little disappointed that I can't mount my Givi knockoff top box' (the rear is exactly the same height as the key). I will probably get a Plano box for dry, secure storage. Mounting was a little tricky as the bottom mounts use the frame bolts. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5308
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootToots View Post
Hi,

I did a write up on my blog on the TCI Adevnture Windscreen, along with installation notes -- including torque values You'll find it here: http://scoottoots.com/clyde-gets-a-w...r-the-crf250l/

And here is how it looks installed:

Be careful with this, big windshields can be very obstructive of your view if they get dirty. They are also illegal in some countries.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #5309
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
What kind of prices are people paying for their bikes before taxes and fees or OTD? My friend is interested in one but a couple of dealers said they will charge the freight and other fees since they are great sellers. He will not (either would I) paying $1000 for that stuff though.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #5310
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Be careful with this, big windshields can be very obstructive of your view if they get dirty. They are also illegal in some countries.
thanks for the pictures, those really helped put that thing in perspective! the website picture (crfsonly) didn't give that impression! damn... i'd like something a little less obtrusive but doesn't look like there's anything else out there.
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote