Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #122
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldNbold View Post
Been awhile since I needed a quick camp spot but it used to be you could stay at a fair grounds. There's at least one in every county here in Iowa.
I've done that in California

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #123
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 966
Great Thread

This will be a big part of my trip.
I have zero experience with MC adventure touring, but was a Corpsman with the USMC (2008-2011.)
MC: 2013: CRF250L. Weight 320lbs. With gear, water, and fuel. around 350lbs at least.

The Primary use of the off-roading abilities of the bike would be to secure good "hides."

Like many of you'all typed, the location and timing of setting up is important.
I'd like to stage on the out skirts of the next town I plan on riding into.

For example, my first stop would be the Frances Marion National Forest in S.C. USA.
Just glancing at the map, I feel good about finding a good place for the night. Seeing how there are several highways that run through her.

I'd try to be at the camp at least an hour before dark.
I'd try to find a single track trail and ride down her a spell and then push into the tree line and secure the bike. I'd then go back and erase the trail I made. Of course, if folk were around, i'd find another place.

I'd then use a big'ol greenish tarp to create the hide. My initial plans do not have a small tent in my table of equipment. I like the big'ol tarp as a bike cover and as a lean to shelter, and to cover up my gear while riding. So it is really a three in one deal.

After making the hide, If I was feeling sketcy, I'd use rope for extra secruity alarm.
If I was really feeling sketcy, I'd lay dog at a good spot over watching the bike (maybe read a hard cover book), then walk to the hide for some sleep.
If I thought a Platoon of NVA where going walk up on the hide, and the weather was good, I'd sleep under the stars with one eye open on the bike, from a good 30 meters away with a high ground advantage if possible.

__
I'd pass on the gun here in North America. Not sure about anywhere else.
I'd just use a pocket knife as my primary and my gerber mulit tool as my secondary.
__

The Walmart package would work if you intorduced yourself to a nice looking middleage couple that has an RV. You could park next to them and maybe even sleep on the top of their vehicle.
Sleeping on the grass just off the curb would have me kind of sketchy. A car could jump the curb and run over you.
__

I like the cemetary and Church locations. Great advice.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #124
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
This will be a big part of my trip.
I have zero experience with MC adventure touring, but was a Corpsman with the USMC (2008-2011.)
MC: 2013: CRF250L. Weight 320lbs. With gear, water, and fuel. around 350lbs at least.

The Primary use of the off-roading abilities of the bike would be to secure good "hides."

Like many of you'all typed, the location and timing of setting up is important.
I'd like to stage on the out skirts of the next town I plan on riding into.

For example, my first stop would be the Frances Marion National Forest in S.C. USA.
Just glancing at the map, I feel good about finding a good place for the night. Seeing how there are several highways that run through her.

I'd try to be at the camp at least an hour before dark.
I'd try to find a single track trail and ride down her a spell and then push into the tree line and secure the bike. I'd then go back and erase the trail I made. Of course, if folk were around, i'd find another place.

I'd then use a big'ol greenish tarp to create the hide. My initial plans do not have a small tent in my table of equipment. I like the big'ol tarp as a bike cover and as a lean to shelter, and to cover up my gear while riding. So it is really a three in one deal.

After making the hide, If I was feeling sketcy, I'd use rope for extra secruity alarm.
If I was really feeling sketcy, I'd lay dog at a good spot over watching the bike (maybe read a hard cover book), then walk to the hide for some sleep.
If I thought a Platoon of NVA where going walk up on the hide, and the weather was good, I'd sleep under the stars with one eye open on the bike, from a good 30 meters away with a high ground advantage if possible.

__
I'd pass on the gun here in North America. Not sure about anywhere else.
I'd just use a pocket knife as my primary and my gerber mulit tool as my secondary.
__

The Walmart package would work if you intorduced yourself to a nice looking middleage couple that has an RV. You could park next to them and maybe even sleep on the top of their vehicle.
Sleeping on the grass just off the curb would have me kind of sketchy. A car could jump the curb and run over you.
__

I like the cemetary and Church locations. Great advice.
If you plan to camp in the Francis Marion soon with no screen on a tent you better have plenty of DEET. Pretty good skeeter, snake and gnat year this year.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #125
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 966
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood10 View Post
If you plan to camp in the Francis Marion soon with no screen on a tent you better have plenty of DEET. Pretty good skeeter, snake and gnat year this year.
thanks for the guy on the ground intell.

It is appreciated.

I'd hit the road around late December (from the Mountain Valley region of VA).

Hopefully, the FL everglades will not be too bad in January.

But, you make a good point. Buy early summer time in Alaska, I'll be destroyed.
I'll have a Recon 5 sleeping bag that has the deal that provides a net that zips up over your face. Not too sure how tiny the netting is. I'll look into it.

Thanks again.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #126
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,390
Quote:

It is appreciated.

I'll have a Recon 5 sleeping bag that has the deal that provides a net that zips up over your face. Not too sure how tiny the netting is. I'll look into it.

Thanks again.
If there isn't any sort of arrangement to keep the net at least a couple inches from your face, it won't do much good. The sound of skeeters buzzing - even if they can't reach you - is nearly as bad as being et.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #127
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:

It is appreciated.

Thanks again.
Plenty of good places to camp in the Francis Marion (even stealth sites but you are allowed to camp anywhere) and all are free except Buck Hall which is a RV type campground. Skeeters will be thinned out by December but there are some late season deer hunts with dogs and that can get hectic. Deer season closes Jan 1. After that it should be pretty quiet out there. Definitely get some no-seeum netting, to keep gnats out. won't be bad in SC in December but FL is a whole different story. You could probably get away with a screen tent as long as you have a tarp for the rainy days. Sounds like you are planning a great trip.

lwood10 screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 02:49 PM
lwood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #128
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
I've thrown my sleeping bag out on picnic tables at rest stops and have never been hassled. I've ner set the tent up however.
and that might be the dividing line as far as getting harassed by cops or land owners.

they see your bike and so they know you're not a homeless wanderer but a tired traveler, so you have a plus there

they see you have not set up a tent and thus digging yourself in, but rather you're tired and need rest. no cop would ever want to be on the receiving end of forcing a tired person back on the road and potentially crashing.

i once was sleeping in my car during a road trip and parked on the side of the road. cop stopped and woke me up with his light. i said i was completely exhausted and it would be very dangerous if i continued to drive. he said ok, rest up and then be on your way.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #129
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrooter View Post
I recently rolled into Albuquerque NM about 11pm. I went to the airport, parked the bike, rode the shuttle into the airport and spent the night. Found a good 3 cushion couch and slept great. Rest rooms and concessions available. Next morning I rode the shuttle back to the bike, paid the five bucks and rode on. And yes it was a KLR!! Ride safe James
great idea. everyone sleeps at the airport.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #130
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewqban View Post
Any stories about bad animal encounters while camping for the night?
the opposite.

i was camping in a field in california, just pad and sleeping bag.
i heard noise and woke up in the middle of the night. a heard of deer had layed down and was sleeping all around me. i went back to bed. woke up in the am and all the grass was all matted down in a circle around me.
awesome to say the least.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #131
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 326
Virginia Law

18.2-125. Trespass at night upon any cemetery.

If any person, without the consent of the owner, proprietor or custodian, go or enter in the nighttime, upon the premises, property, driveways or walks of any cemetery, either public or private, for any purpose other than to visit the burial lot or grave of some member of his family, he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #132
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 326
Virginia Law

18.2-128. Trespass upon church or school property.

A. Any person who, without the consent of some person authorized to give such consent, goes or enters upon, in the nighttime, the premises or property of any church or upon any school property for any purpose other than to attend a meeting or service held or conducted in such church or school property, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person, whether or not a church member or student, to enter upon or remain upon any church or school property in violation of (i) any direction to vacate the property by a person authorized to give such direction or (ii) any posted notice which contains such information, posted at a place where it reasonably may be seen. Each time such person enters upon or remains on the posted premises or after such direction that person refuses to vacate such property, it shall constitute a separate offense.

A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor, except that any person, other than a parent, who violates this subsection on school property with the intent to abduct a student shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. For purposes of this section: (i) "school property" includes a school bus as defined in 46.2-100 and (ii) "church" means any place of worship and includes any educational building or community center owned or leased by a church.
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #133
zachbrowning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
If I'm camping in an area that's populated I try to find a spot before it gets dark, but I don't actually stop yet. I then go get some dinner or just hang out somewhere else until well after dark. Then I go back to my spot and crash out trying to use as little light and make as little noise as possible. Up early in the morning and gone.
Setting up before dark, even if it's just tossing a bag on the ground, seems an invitation to get hassled. (I'm talking about borderline spots here, not nice spots out in the woods where it's definitely OK).
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #134
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcob View Post
18.2-125. Trespass at night upon any cemetery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcob View Post
18.2-128. Trespass upon church or school property.
Are you a lawyer? You're just quoting laws here. Do you have any thoughts or opinions?

I don't think it's any secret that cemeteries and churches aren't public property. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #135
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Are you a lawyer? You're just quoting laws here. Do you have any thoughts or opinions?

I don't think it's any secret that cemeteries and churches aren't public property. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jamie
Come on now the thread is "laws on sleeping outside" and I think it's good to note that there is some risk with some locations. I think if you were nice when the cops roust you then they most likely will let you go but if someone just broke in next door to where you are illegally camping then expect to spend so time at the station.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote