User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Concours anybody?

I've only seen pics of a couple and am wondering how many of you might have one set up as a hack and just don't say a whole lot.. I've been riding a 93 ZG1000 for about a year and a half now and I'm starting to wonder how good of a tug it would make. I have really enjoyed the EX500 setup I've been riding, but most of my riding tends to be longer distances on the highway and while the EX will do it I'm certain something with a bit more oomph would be more comfortable.

I'll get to the point now, looking for opinions, pictures, advise, or even lies and benchracing from anybody who has owned/ridden an early Kawasaki Concours (or C10 as the COG site puts it) as a sidecar setup. Begin!
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
At the national in vermont in 2010, maybe someone here on ADV will recognize the owner with the red shirt.

twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,100
That one was at this years National in Mountain View, AR also.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
I wonder who did the center hub?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
FR700
Heckler

Oddometer: 6,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintwin View Post
At the national in vermont in 2010, maybe someone here on ADV will recognize the owner with the red shirt.

He is looking for C10 not 14 .

Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post

THIS!! While I do admire the 14 with hub steering, it's also waaaay out of my budget... Can't think of any reasons why the C10 wouldn't be a good tug, other than maybe too narrow of bars? (there's a clamp kit to put regular tube bars on that would fix that) I'm also considering putting the car from my EX (California Sidecar Friendship) onto the Connie, here's the car currently:

I know it's a lighter sidecar, but I see these on old Goldwings all the time (I pulled it off a GL1200). Should be an OK match for a C10?

Either way, keep the thoughts (and pics) coming
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
If I recall correctly, the C10 pictured above had modified triple trees to ease steering.

I must defer to more experienced builders/installers as to mounting your Friendship sidecar.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
arbalest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Who did the center hub?

Drone,

That is a Hannigan HPS rig, built by Hannigan. The front end was designed and built by Bill Ballou, who supplies them to Hannigan (I believe). He hangs out on HPsidecar.com. He has helped me with my ongoing HPS project.
arbalest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post

This rig is currently in my possession. This is my second C10, with the first being a '90 that I owned until 2004. The tug is an '04 with a Hannigan Sprint chair. I was told that the only tug mod was the steer rite but I swear that the suspension was lowered also. I could flat foot my '90 but my knees are bent with this one.

FWIW, the Connie uses the engine as a tensioned member so there is no frame to attach to for the lower supports. Claude (IIRC) has chimed in on another thread and stated that he has made a frame for a C10 rig. The Hannigan uses the center stand as the bottom rear support. Can't say that I'm fond of this (my strength of materials and dynamics courses from school keep coming to mind) but the rig handles fairly well except for some squirrelly steering at low speed (need to check steering head bearings).

Regarding the handlebars, it's the typical clips one that give me fits, reach wise. I've added a set of Murphs KB risers but its not enough. I'm saving my pennies for a set of helibars. The steer rite mod seems to limit the turning arc but that only comes into play when I'm attempting to turn the rig around.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you have and regarding the rig. If you are up in the Atlanta area, we can arrange a meet.

Pat

MeanMoe screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 04:30 PM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
This rig is currently in my possession. This is my second C10, with the first being a '90 that I owned until 2004. The tug is an '04 with a Hannigan Sprint chair. I was told that the only tug mod was the steer rite but I swear that the suspension was lowered also. I could flat foot my '90 but my knees are bent with this one.

FWIW, the Connie uses the engine as a tensioned member so there is no frame to attach to for the lower supports. Claude (IIRC) has chimed in on another thread and stated that he has made a frame for a C10 rig. The Hannigan uses the center stand as the bottom rear support. Can't say that I'm fond of this (my strength of materials and dynamics courses from school keep coming to mind) but the rig handles fairly well except for some squirrelly steering at low speed (need to check steering head bearings).

Regarding the handlebars, it's the typical clips one that give me fits, reach wise. I've added a set of Murphs KB risers but its not enough. I'm saving my pennies for a set of helibars. The steer rite mod seems to limit the turning arc but that only comes into play when I'm attempting to turn the rig around.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you have and regarding the rig. If you are up in the Atlanta area, we can arrange a meet.

Pat
This helps a lot! Little bit of research shows the Sprint weighing about the same as my Friendship (~200lbs) so that makes me feel a little better about what I'm thinking. I doubt Hannigan would sell the subframes separate from their cars, I'll prolly end up talking to Jay @ DMC about having one made (since he made the one on my EX). I had briefly asked him about it a while back but I was nowhere near actually doing something. I think I would tackle the steering the same as my EX as well (lower the front & get wider bars) if necessary.
That's awesome! Thanks for the info Pat, I do head through ATL about once every year or so. If I come through, you still have it and you're available (and the stars are aligned, yaddayadda...) I'll pick up the tab for lunch and pick your brain.

Sean

BTW: Is that the rig that Ogre_FL had for sale a while back?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post

BTW: Is that the rig that Ogre_FL had for sale a while back?
Yes, it is. Steve sold it to me in May of last year.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
I owned a concourse for a while with a sidecar, It worked fine, we have built a few for people, If need be I can borrow my brother in laws bike to use to make some mounts as we never tooled. He can not ride for a few more months due to surgery and more then likely would like his bike in doors at my shop rather then out in the weather.
We are however very busy right now so there would be a wait.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,554
A Hannigan Conte' Classic we recently installed. Outfit does well and actually doesn't steer all that bad with stock front end.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
worncog
YBNormal

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post

Pat
I have the new version of the Helibars on my 06. Albeit it is not a tug with a chair, the change makes a huge difference in the handling of the standard machine. I am 67" tall with a 30" inseam and the reach and comfort level changes are fantastic. Low speed and high speed comfort are so much better than stock. Money well spent on the Concours if you happen to be of the 'normal' dimensions. ;) Bars are wider, so I am sure they would help steering in a hacked configuration.

Are you a COG member? If so, you may be able to mention that I , Randy, sent you from COG and Jennifer just might give you a 'little help', but it has been a little while since the group buy option so I am not sure if the help option is still available. HTH
worncog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by worncog View Post
I have the new version of the Helibars on my 06. Albeit it is not a tug with a chair, the change makes a huge difference in the handling of the standard machine. I am 67" tall with a 30" inseam and the reach and comfort level changes are fantastic. Low speed and high speed comfort are so much better than stock. Money well spent on the Concours if you happen to be of the 'normal' dimensions. ;) Bars are wider, so I am sure they would help steering in a hacked configuration.

Are you a COG member? If so, you may be able to mention that I , Randy, sent you from COG and Jennifer just might give you a 'little help', but it has been a little while since the group buy option so I am not sure if the help option is still available. HTH
Thanks for the feedback. I have been struggling with the idea of $600 for a set of Helibars. Other options are a bit cheaper but they don't offer the adjustability and I know from working with my R1150GS, that you can go thru a whole pile of money in the attempt to find something that works (windscreen, seat, bars).

Yes, I re-upped my COG membership (#516) when we got the hack as I had let it lapse after I sold the '90. I hope they will give me a bit of a break on the price. Here comes the credit card...