Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #151
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I have had several bear meets Moto encounters and although they always gets your heart pumping they haven't been particularly "dangerous". Note all of my encounters were with black bears. I have come upon Grizzly bears a couple times but at a fair distance.

Quite honestly however I have more concerns over the last couple years about Cougars. Cougar killing humans happens more often than thought. A cross country skier was killed not far from my place just a year or so ago. And the little buggers are getting more and more brave, coming into the city outskirt parks from time to time.

A black bear wandering into camp might be there out of curiosity looking for scraps of garbage even. The big cat wants one thing ... to eat you.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #152
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 635
I have only had bear problems and encounters at summer camp as a scout. They were dumpster diving pro’s it didn’t matter what contraption the camp officials installed on the dumpsters. Just goes to show that for the most part they are just looking for an easy meal. If you and your tent don’t smell like an easy meal they will most likely leave you alone.

As to the debate about firearms. While it is true well trained people get mauled with their pistol or rifle or shotgun at their side, there are also stories of well trained and not so well trained people warding off bears with firearms as well. Maybe not a kill shot or even a hit but the bang of a .44 mag or .500 S&W.

I live in central PA and I carry a .357mag 5 shot revolver. You want to know how worried I am about bears? The first two shots are snake shot.
XT225 - For Sale - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966148
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #153
iphorde
Banned

Oddometer: 773
I have family in East Texas that has problems with black bears. They're not just in Big Bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
We don't have much of a bear problem down here in Texas, other than Big Bend that is. It's not a real problem there either since there are few around. Up north in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc., that's a different story. On my recent trip we only camped once, at Echo Park in Dinosaur National Monument, but there were signs posted warning of bear activity in the area. I didn't get a lot of sleep that night, and neither did my son who was set up next to me. We also passed close to an area west of Yellowstone where a camper was recently pulled out of their tent, killed, and eaten. Other campers nearby were attacked at the same time by several other bears traveling with the sow who was responsible for the fatality.

My question is, for those who camp in such areas regularly, what do you to get a good nights sleep? I know the odds are against having any encounters, but then some have had several in close succession. I keep bear spray handy, but if you are in your sleeping bag, inside your tent, and it's pitch black when your are grabbed from outside, what good is it going to do. You'll never get a chance to use it, even if you can find it! Is there an answer, or do you just play the odds and try to put it out of your mind.
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #154
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde View Post
I have family in East Texas that has problems with black bears. They're not just in Big Bend.
I can believe it. At one time there was a healthy bear population in E. Texas and all the way down along the Gulf Coast well south of Houston. There are pictures at one of my client's hunting camps just a few miles from here of black bear taken there. I understand they were just about hunted out, but are coming back. When I was pre-teen, the rangers in Big Bend National Park told us that there were Black Bear over in Mexico, but none in the park. There are now!

I was just there a few weeks ago, and as I left the restaurant, one of the staff was on the way back in exclaiming that a bear was just across the driveway. Sure enough, a sow with cubs (carefully tucked away in the brush) was attacking a dead Century Plant to get at the good stuff inside. She was less than 40 feet from the edge of the road and absolutely ignored the audience, which grew substantially over about 15 minutes. I think she looked up once, then got back to it. It's the first time I've seen a bear there and I've been many times. Reports were that there were two females with cubs visiting the main lodge area most mornings, and one worker surprised a mountain lion between buildings a few days before my visit. Wildlife is making a comeback.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #155
cardoctor1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
25 cal pistol saves woman from grizzly attack

This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy shooter by a woman against a fierce predator.
What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

The Beretta Jetfire .25 :

While out hiking in Montana with my boyfriend we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of nowhere.

She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.

If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire with me I would not be here today!

Just one shot to my boyfriend's knee cap was all it took. The bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.

It's one of the best pistols in my collection.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #156
iphorde
Banned

Oddometer: 773
Remind me to never ride with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy shooter by a woman against a fierce predator.

While out hiking in Montana with my boyfriend we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of nowhere.

Just one shot to my boyfriend's knee cap was all it took. The bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.

iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #157
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post

if you were married you could collect life insurance. ohwell maybe next time.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #158
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
as many here have said prevention is key. I live in bear country and so far have not had any on my property that i've seen anyway. I keep my yard clean and remove smelly trash often.

one good suggestion is to scout the area you're going to camp in for bear shit and trash left behind.

I mainly wear scentless deoderant, and use scentless soap and shampoo regularly anyway which is a big help. when camping I have a seperate dry bag to place my food in and hang it away from my tent. bacon, onions and peppers are things to avoid when wilderness camping in a tent.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #159
Tetched
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 497
I rode thru Labrador and Quebec a couple years ago on the Trans Lab, Route Du Nord, James Bay, and the Trans Tiaga and camped in the wild for 30 days. I would stop an hour or two before evening and fix my dinner, clean up, myself included, then motor down the road with everything packed up. Then all I had to do was set up the tent and hit the Hay. Only problem I had, which was minimal, was a Moose wandered in where I was camping one evening. Saw more Wolves than anything else. Plenty of bear. Felt that I had done all I could do to minimize contact. Only protection I had was Bear spray and a Knife. Keep clean, clean camp, and pack for the back country. And sad to say, NO BACON
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #160
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
I've spent the last 3 weeks camping alone in BC, Yukon, Alaska at sites not in official campgrounds. Plenty of black and brown bears around but they've never bothered me. One evening I camped about 200 yards from an official campground in Yukon (Kluane Lake) that was posted "NO TENT CAMPING' because of bears, and sure enough I wake up to whistles and shouting as the people over there chase a bear away. It never came over to where I was camping so my theory is bears always return to where they've previously found food, and don't often frequent other spots.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #161
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Advice

Growing up in NW MT, Have had more close crossings with Grizz in the Mission Mtns than i did in Alaska.

Hang your food
Look for sign (poop, debarked trees, uprooted stumps, etc.)
Make noise

....and if you've got a gun, file the end-sight off so it doesn't hurt(as much) when he/she puts it up your arse.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #162
Cortez1000
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wicked

I have spent a lot time in South Africa and saw the bears in this country it is the country especially for wild animals,Every tourists likes that country i am very excited to see that wild animals especially bears. Plenty of black and brown bears around me and every tourists very excited to see that.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #163
LeftCoastMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
Growing up in NW MT, Have had more close crossings with Grizz in the Mission Mtns than i did in Alaska.

Hang your food
Look for sign (poop, debarked trees, uprooted stumps, etc.)
Make noise

....and if you've got a gun, file the end-sight off so it doesn't hurt(as much) when he/she puts it up your arse.
I think hanging food has been deprecated, by law, in many areas with indigenous bear populations. Along the Pacific Crest Trail (which of course isn't for motorcycles, it's strictly for hikers and, in some parts, horses) in California, it's illegal to hang food, because sows have trained their cubs to climb the trees to knock down the bag. Obviously, bears are smarter than Yogi ever was in the cartoons.

In my experience in camping on the western and eastern sides of the Sierras, almost all campgrounds have lockable food lockers. They way they're built, you could put gold bars in there and protect them.

If you're not in a developed campground (which are cheaper, cause they're free), you are required by the local park constabulary to use a bear canister for food, or actually anything that has an odor (like shampoo or soap). I bought one of those canisters, but I just see no way to pack it on my bike. Hence, I stick with developed campgrounds along the Sierras.

As for a gun? I've said this before. Unless you're calm when you fire a gun (and I mean FBI/Secret Service calm), you're going to miss, or worse yet, wound the animal, piss him off, and you're dinner.
An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #164
pne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
had one bear encounter in new mexico, no food or anything scented in the tent. Still that night I heard him outside the tent poking around, started hollering and what not. In the morning sure enough bear tracks all around. The next night same spot, I test fired the bear spray (I will trust that can over a gun any day), and slept with it in the sleeping bag with me. I don't think the bear came back but if he did I slept right through it. Got woken up by coyotes in the wee hours of the morning, go figure.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #165
2rock
Motoholic

Oddometer: 44
I did an eight week trip to AK this year in may and june, yep froze my but off, spring never arrived! Saw lots of black bear along the hwys, and only 2 grizzlys, they where both on the Dempster. I never met anyone who lived in the backcountry that carried bear spray, up in Keno City, the Canadians laughed and said bear spray was for the city people, they carried guns, I noticed they didn't say if they carried rifles or pistols. In Haines AK I met a retired state trooper who specialized in bear maulings, he carried a SW 460.
Next year I'm going back to AK, I'll bypass Canada, and take a 460. I think some people on here that push the bear spray are anti gun anyway.
btw.. Never test fire your bear spray in camp, that's an attractant.
2rock is offline   Reply With Quote