Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #5326
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehazelton View Post
You can buy just brackets from Turbo City and make your own screen. Or buy the above set up, try it and if you still want shorter cut it down yourself.
Don't buy the screen and cut it down...get a nice bright red wastebasket like I saw at Home depot and cut it to meet your needs...I love my $3 screen on the brackets....with frikkin $12 of shipping!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #5327
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Don't buy the screen and cut it down...get a nice bright red wastebasket like I saw at Home depot and cut it to meet your needs...I love my $3 screen on the brackets....with frikkin $12 of shipping!
Can we see that? I like make dos.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #5328
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can we see that? I like make dos.
If someone will accept an emailed pic of my white IKEA lid screen that they will post for me, I can provide...send me a PM...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #5329
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
If someone will accept an emailed pic of my white IKEA lid screen that they will post for me, I can provide...send me a PM...
Here you go!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #5330
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootToots View Post
Yeah, I guess it all depends on what you want, and what the photos look like to you. When riding with the TCI screen, I don't find it obtrusive in the least. The entire road ahead is seen from above the screen. You're not looking through the screen at all, as the quote you referenced cautioned against.

I doubt a smaller screen would offer much benefit. Be glad to measure exactly how far above the bars, etc., it rises if that would be useful to you.. I could even take a photo from riding position if you like. Just let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

I agree. The only thing I notice about the windshield is it keeps the air pressure off you. Other than that, you don't even think about it. It's awesome and not near as obtrusive as the photos show.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #5331
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Here you go!

Hey Ed, is that carpeting I see on your workshop floor? Now that is class.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #5332
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Hey Ed, is that carpeting I see on your workshop floor? Now that is class.
Well, I have no room for a big lift, so I have to work off the floor...old bad knees and cold concrete don't mix!

FLAGGER: Many thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #5333
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Well, I have no room for a big lift, so I have to work off the floor...old bad knees and cold concrete don't mix!

FLAGGER: Many thanks
I have one of these ... it works great and is more stable than you would think.

gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #5334
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

"Discount Ramps" have lotta nice products and eye candy
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #5335
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
So $59.95 + $12 shipping? They do like to sock it to us. CRF only hit me $18.95 for the 13t + $10.77 ship. No lube, just bend over. Was that IKEA plastic flat and thin enough to just take on the shape of the rack, or did you have to use a heat gun to persuade it?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #5336
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
"Discount Ramps" have lotta nice products and eye candy
Oh, yeah......there's a lift in that picture.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #5337
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
So $59.95 + $12 shipping? They do like to sock it to us. CRF only hit me $18.95 for the 13t + $10.77 ship. No lube, just bend over. Was that IKEA plastic flat and thin enough to just take on the shape of the rack, or did you have to use a heat gun to persuade it?
No heat needed....make a pattern out of posterboard first....so add $1 to your production costs. If I do a version 2, it'll have "ears" that extend L & R up and out to get air flow up and away from the mirrors. Mirrors always make turbulence on the sides of your helmet that make noise. It's my opinion that smooth non turbulent air hitting your helmet is always preferred. I was out on the e-way at 70-75 mph indicated, and the very top of the windshield would slightly flutter in the turbulence behind big trucks.....so if you want a taller shield (this one is 16.75" from the tip over the headlight to the top)...I'm 5'9"...you'll need stiffer material than the 0.066" IKEA stuff. Shop for Kydex on Amazon. I have some small pieces of 0.090" polypropylene, and that would not require any heat since the shield is not a compound curve. Also, understand that these brackets will NOT work if you have bar risers....I ended up going with taller narrower cheap ass $20 steel ATV bars....with no real cable problems.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 11:07 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #5338
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Here you go!

It works and you can't argue with the price. And that kind of plastic (HDPE?) will never break.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #5339
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No heat needed....make a pattern out of posterboard first....so add $1 to your production costs. If I do a version 2, it'll have "ears" that extend L & R up and out to get air flow up and away from the mirrors. Mirrors always make turbulence on the sides of your helmet that make noise. It's my opinion that smooth non turbulent air hitting your helmet is always preferred. I was out on the e-way at 70-75 mph indicated, and the very top of the windshield would slightly flutter in the turbulence behind big trucks.....so if you want a taller shield (this one is 16.75" from the tip over the headlight to the top)...I'm 5'9"...you'll need stiffer material than the 0.066" IKEA stuff. Shop for Kydex on Amazon. I have some small pieces of 0.090" polypropylene, and that would not require any heat since the shield is not a compound curve. Also, understand that these brackets will NOT work if you have bar risers....I ended up going with taller narrower cheap ass $20 steel ATV bars....with no real cable problems.
Dang, glad you pointed that out. I was going to get Rox bar risers, the ones that can rock to a position you like. Maybe a welding shop could make a piece to add to the bottom of the rack to mount lower. Only thing is, then I lose the ability to adjust the bars as needed. I had a screen on an SV650 much like this one: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catal...&q=wind+shield
And, again....told myself I wasn't going to be throwing a bucket of $ at this bike. At least I can ride down there and check it out. They are good about letting you take stuff out to your bike to see how it will fit/look. Did that with a tank bag for a different bike, and glad I did. It looked like shite on the bike.

SAPB screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 11:59 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #5340
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It works and you can't argue with the price. And that kind of plastic (HDPE?) will never break.
is Polypropylene = 5 come recycle time