Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #8176
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
I'm no expert, but:
- assuming the heated grips are off for sure when the bike is off, is there anything else connected that can be consuming the batt while not riding?
- does the batt recover when you ride for a while? I would check this without connecting anything to the bike, in order to clear the way to the origin of the problem.
- most of all, assuming the batt is ok (new) can be not charging while riding; do you have access to a place where you can get the bike's batt charging capacity meassured?

Keep us posted!

Thanks for immediate reply liferider!
Heated grips were routed to work only when the bike's ignition is on.
Haven't tried riding yet, but definitely will :)) next fuel stop will be in 30km I will see how it works then.
No other stuff is juiced from battery.
Probably I could ask guys in Russia to check with voltmeter, if the alternator is working...
I think the battery is fine, it's brand new sealed Yuasa. Also when I try to turn lights they don't seam to dim like on flat battery...
Btw, if I was on this trip with new 1190A I could end up in pretty funny situation (I mean not having kickstarter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #8177
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Haven't tried riding yet, but definitely will :)) next fuel stop will be in 30km I will see how it works then.
Probably I could ask guys in Russia to check with voltmeter, if the alternator is working...
I think the battery is fine, it's brand new sealed Yuasa. Also when I try to turn lights they don't seam to dim like on flat battery...
Btw, if I was on this trip with new 1190A I could end up in pretty funny situation (I mean not having kickstarter)

If the lights aren't dim and voltage checks out, probably a bad starter relay.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 06:59 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8178
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:

If you were on your 1190A, now you would be at a hotel calling a helicopter to take you and the fat beast home...

You are very lucky for keeping your mighty 640A... it's a champ for far and forgotten lands trips...

Given it's a Yuasa, the new batt should not be the problem.

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #8179
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
you need someway to test the load on the battery. you need to see if 1) it is being charged, 2) that it's holding the charge. just because its new doesn't mean that it can fail. it could easily drop a cell and the bike would run fine once started but would not start again once shut off. if the reg/rect is good you shoul dbe getting up to 14V at the battery when on the gas, if not your reg/rec needs attention. i suppose it's also possible the stator could be going but i would put it last on the list of possibilities.

good luck. let me know if i can help with anything else.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #8180
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
bigboyxl: what the other said, and I will add to check the ground lead and the positive lead to the starter motor. They sometimes vibrate loose and cause your symptoms. They don't call them paint shakers for nothing. Another possibility not mentioned is the ignition switch. People have documented cases where they break a connection inside of the switch, presumably also due to the vibration.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #8181
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Thanks for replies everybody!
It's very cool to have a support like this!!!
Anyway, I cover this 30 km (extremely windy!!!) to fuel stop: battery didn't recover. I decided to check the battery connection once again and here is the thing - even 10 minutes after the stop regulator was pretty warm (don't forget it's north and the temperature outside is around 10-12 degrees Celsius now). Also the sound, in my first post I said wrong: it's not clicking, it's more like doorbell ringing very fast and going exactly from regulator...

Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #8182
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Where do folks like to pickup 640 adventure supplies in the USA?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #8183
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whec716 View Post
Where do folks like to pickup 640 adventure supplies in the USA?
Munn Racing in Waco.

If you own KTM's and plan on owning KTM's it's well worth your while to become a lifetime member of KTMtalk.com

Dirty
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #8184
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Thanks for replies everybody!
It's very cool to have a support like this!!!
Anyway, I cover this 30 km (extremely windy!!!) to fuel stop: battery didn't recover. I decided to check the battery connection once again and here is the thing - even 10 minutes after the stop regulator was pretty warm (don't forget it's north and the temperature outside is around 10-12 degrees Celsius now). Also the sound, in my first post I said wrong: it's not clicking, it's more like doorbell ringing very fast and going exactly from regulator...

Bigboy,
I think it is possible you have a worn wire rubbing on the frame and draining your new battery.

That happened to me and when I checked everything I found several worn wires. I would remove the tank, seat, faring and side panels and carefuly check everything. I would remove allthe fuses up at the headlight and try to start the motorcycle with the battery charged.
If it won't start replace the fuse that enables it to start.

Be sure to tighten your battery connections.

With the engine running you should make 13.5-14.0 V at the battery if the alternator and regulator is working correctly.

A fully charged battery usually stays around 12.5-13.0 V.

If you don't understand I would find a DC electrician at a motorcycle or automobile garage with a meter and knowledge.

For Finland I think you have hope,in Russia I am not sure.I traveled there on my KTMand finding a good motorcycle shop was almost impossible. Oh now I se maybe you speak Russian???

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #8185
supercoyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have a question for the collective: recently I did routine maintenance on my bike including air filter cleaning, oil change yadda yadda yadda and dialed the carb in using Creeps method along with a stenhouse mixture screw. So I was happy and riding like a maniac for a couple days, zero problems. On friday I was riding on the way back from work and the rev's started to hang a bit, would sit closer to 2k rpms at idle sometimes even 3k and the idle speed adjustment stopped affecting the idle at all. Now I just got back from the weekend, tried to fire her up and even with the idle turned all the way up it needs more throttle to actually run. It revs just fine while it's running, but it seems like the bike needs the throttle to be cracked beyond what the idle screw can afford. Along with that, the choke doesn't affect it negatively whether it's on or off. I tried the old "tap the carb" to check for a stuck float, to no avail.

Nothing had changed maintenance-wise between running like a top 2 days before, hanging idles and finally not idling at all. What could have caused a slow decline in rideability? . Why would I need so much throttle to run? Why can't KTM make another thumper adventure?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #8186
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,960
I'd post this on the BST40 thread and consider cleaning the carb.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

As for KTM, someday.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #8187
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoyote View Post
Nothing had changed maintenance-wise between running like a top 2 days before, hanging idles and finally not idling at all. What could have caused a slow decline in rideability? . Why would I need so much throttle to run? Why can't KTM make another thumper adventure?
Check your throttle & choke cables are routed ok & moving freely. I had the inline adjuster on the choke cable vibrate loose once which caused some funky running like that.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #8188
supercoyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
The throttle turned out to be the problem, the throttle idle screw turned out to be waaaay out between running with a dirty/freshly oiled filter and the dry one.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #8189
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
Anybody happen to have a BST 40 47.5 idling jet?

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #8190
mattadv93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Hi,
So im thinking about getting a 04 ktm 640 enduro that has 55648k's (34578mi). He's asking $5500aud for it, Is he dreaming or does it sound about right? Also it comes with a 27lt safari tank along with the 18lt and 12lt factory tanks and has the seat to suit them tanks.
Cheers,
Matt
mattadv93 is offline   Reply With Quote