User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #61
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Well, hell, since the thread got bumped and I haven't seen it mentioned:

Velcro ties and/or velcro straps and/or velcro cinch straps. They come in varying widths and lengths, but like zip ties you can always connect one strap to another to make a longer one. Or buy a continuous roll and use it like tape. Surprisingly strong, UV and twist tortioning resistant.

Unlike zip ties, they're reusable (well, zip ties can kinda be reused if you can release the lock tab). Because of that you can wrap them around bits of framework on the bike -- handle bars, forks, swing arm, frame, mirror stalks, cables and wiring. I actually have one wrapped around a Givi baseplate for the past 5 months because I keep forgetting to take it off. Having them on the bike means you don't need them in your toolkit or storage. Reusability also makes them toolless for removal.

They are, however, wider than zip ties and a good, thick set of zip ties can probably hold more weight than the velcro straps. Zip ties are also a boon if you really need to apply a lot of pressure to strap something down. The width does help, though, as I used several straps wound around the joint of a bar end mirror to keep it from folding in.

I carry a few wrapped around my everyday toolkit pouches that are stored 24/7 in the bikes. I have a supplimental repair kit that I carry whenever I'm going a distance which has more, along with some strapped around cable bundles or the like in lieu of zip ties that I could repurpose in a pinch. I still carry zip ties but 50 velcro straps pack smaller than 50 same-length zip ties.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #62
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
No one has mentioned the Kermit Chair.

Honestly it the the first thing to be unpacked and the last thing to be packed up.
Sitting in a Kermit Chair is very close to nirvana... seriously! It ties it all together it is quite the brilliant bit of kit. If you haven't tried one; do.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
I only have one on my list...

1. Learn by doing.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #64
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 978
I'm still learning what that list should be. All great ideas so far. I think it all depends on the specific trip (location, length, temperatures).

Looking forward to seeing more ideas here.

phat fingered on my smarty pants phone with Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #65
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkgana View Post
You may want to add this to the list:

-Cigarettes even if you don't smoke. Offer one and make a friend. Having the lighter could be very helpful too.
-Scan ALL your documents and email them to yourself.
-A couple of International licenses. If you meet annoying police that want to take your license away let them take that one and keep going.

And I would suggest NO guns if you are not traveling in your own country.
This is rather good advice when travelling the less than nice countries. I found this out when I was stationed near Adana, Turkey at Incirlik AB. Back in the 80's you didn't see a lot of "performance" motorcycles there, especially in the mountains and high deserts. Often we would get stopped by the Jandarma with machine guns slung on their shoulders ready for action. Anyhow, after showing them our papers, the "blue book", sometimes they'd ask if we had any cigarettes. You'd offer them a smoke to each of the cops and all of the sudden they're your friend. Make sure it's Marlboro Reds and pack a decent lighter not a pack of matches; they love seeing that red and white hard pack of smokes. You'd be surprised how far you can get by sharing a smoke of American cigs even if you don't smoke.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #66
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I like the idea of small vise grips. I will definitely start carrying some when far from home. The fix for the broken throttle cable is a great idea. Too bad mines drive by un-fixable computer wire now.

there's really only a few things I ALWAYS carry that haven't been mentioned.

1. Duct tape or electrical tape (camping supply stores have rolls that don't have the round cardboard in the center, they're rolled flat and pack nice.
2. Been mentioned but ....ZIP TIES!!
3. Extra wire (a small loom of around 16 or 18 gauge) --- if you ever have to zip tie something that gets hot... Wire won't melt and can keep you from being stranded because of a simple problem. Also if you have a connector go bad or need to bypass and straight wire a failed component. I've held half an exhaust system on with cheap insulated wire.
4. Camelback or some type hydration pack. You will drink when you need it, not just when you stop and it's convenient.

If in the U.S. and not leaving. ALWAYS a gun. Just know the laws where your going and have any necessary permit if it's stays loaded. (there's no other way)

Contrary to unfortunate popular belief, a gun actually can make you LESS scared or nervous and I know it's crazy but it doesn't take any of the fun away. I've had people ask me what it is I'm so afraid of and I have to always respond with honesty... Not. a. damn. thing. I would be very uneasy slipping one across a border. I have been in a cell for 8+ hrs after crossing through Mexican customs and can only imagine how much worse it would have been if I had been hiding a weapon!

Everything else was pretty much covered. Good stuff
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #67
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Africa travel, no one mentioned stomach meds specifically. Been there 5 times and we always carried Pepto for first line defense, Immodium for a stronger dose and finally bomb the system to kill all bacteria with Cipro.
If you aren't used to the water in an area it can cause GI misery and riding won't be any fun with a case of "Whoa Mule!!"
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #68
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Africa travel, no one mentioned stomach meds specifically. Been there 5 times and we always carried Pepto for first line defense, Immodium for a stronger dose and finally bomb the system to kill all bacteria with Cipro.
If you aren't used to the water in an area it can cause GI misery and riding won't be any fun with a case of "Whoa Mule!!"
VERY good point.

I have a tendency to eat pretty much anything resembling food, often aged beyond perfection, in parts of the world where the food quality never really reaches "perfection".

This has led to a few of those situations where all your priorities fly out the window, and you dont care if you live or die, as long as you dont shit your pants.

Dukoral, immodium, cipro etc. for the win.
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #69
wibble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Thumb

Me and my oppo had a week in india.

our selection of tools ( personal faves, not bike specific.)
leatherman
asprin
mp3 player
phone
sun cream
tissue

That was all we took for our health, morale and the bikes ( rented locally)
Felt so freeeeeeee we found alcohol locally.
The only thing I really needed but did not have was proper boots....kicking a cats eye at 50 km in converse boots did spoil my day as i was hanging my feet down....even then nothing was broken and alcohol saved the day..... I will learn from these episodes and now will only take MX boots in future..
wibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 211
Losing the Wallet, keys, etc. - Backup

On a cross-country trip in the US I thought I lost my wallet in Alabama (I live in California). I had about $300 in cash.... that's it. Fortunately, the wallet had slipped between my riding pants and rain-pants and was held in place by the elastic band. Greatly relieved to have found it, I made copies of my driver's license, insurance cards, etc. and put them in the top case (locking). I split my money and left some in the wallet and the rest in the top case. I had two credit cards so one went into the top case as well. Now if I lost my wallet I still had ID, cash, and a credit card.

I also had a second set of keys made and put all but a top case key in the top case. I then taped a top case key to an inconspicuous part of the bike.

On my last stop of the trip, I snapped the ignition key off in the fuel filler cap (stupid ST1300 problem). I made it home anyway but I now carry needle nosed pliers and some picks.

After I got home I scanned my DL and other ID items and put the pix into my iPhone. I also keep them in dropbox and/or on a small thumb drive. Be sure to engage password control on your phone if you have sensitive ID information in it.

Of course, most of this is predicated on some sort lockable device on the bike, but I think there are plenty of options depending on what you are riding.

PS, I also carry bear spray.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #71
jalapenopete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Spot

I just glanced thru the responses, so it may have been mentioned earlier, but a quick thread search didn't return anything. I have little device called a SPOT satellite GPS messenger that I carry on trips. it has a couple of different buttons you can program. It sends canned emails with a link to google maps for your current location to your chosen recipients. I have programmed one button to send my wife's email/cell phone my location that i hit when i stop for gas, there's another for when i need help but not emergency services, a third that i use to tell her I've stopped for the night, and a 4th that (hopefully) brings out the helicopters and rescue squad if I've really balled it up but can still push a button. It's relatively cheap and very handy when out of cell phone coverage.
jalapenopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #72
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I'm surprised its not in the very first post, but for the love of god never be without condoms. Nothing sucks more than needing one and not having it.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #73
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
I'm surprised its not in the very first post, but for the love of god never be without condoms. Nothing sucks more than needing one and not having it.

I'd rather not have condoms when i need one than have condoms but never need one....

Just saying
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #74
Wanted
Dead or Alive

Oddometer: 99
As for guns, I came across a guy who had been riding for 5 years around the world and was now in Argentina. He said he carries a flare gun (bright orange) for rescue, but for the main reason being protection. He said don't be fooled, it may be a flare gun but is still a deadly weapon that will kill somebody.

As far as I know he hadn't had any issues in transit with it
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #75
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
ipad or android tablet

Surprised this isn't the first item.

7" Or 10" apple or android can give you

Phone via Skype and WiFi. Cellular more of a problem but doable.
GPS maps
Mp3 player via Bluetooth or plug in. (Just got MP3 amplifier for android, can blast
Your ears off if you forget to put ear plugs in)
Movies and TV shows.
Books and your bike manual.
Daily newspapers from home if you want
Picture gallery of what you miss from home
Google for problem solving (again related to WiFi or cellular)
Camera
Alarm clock
Currency calculator
....list could keep going.

Note... I just brought android for the volume amplifier app. Should have got the
7" I went in for at 200 but got sucked in by the nexus 10". Barely fits in tank bag.not the smartest decision
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote