Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Like it's been said... It is Your Trip, Bike, and Body.

How do you normally ride? How have you handled long days in the saddle before? Are you doing some longer rides and getting some exercise in to get you body use to or in shape for riding all day? Sore butt is never fun but anyone whose ridden a lot knows what works best for them to minimize it.

In my opinion you choose out some major places you would like to see, keep your trip loosely planned, and enjoy whatever crosses your path. There are things you'll come across which are not on the map that will catch your interest.

If time starts running tight you change it up as needed. If you don't like a place you planned on spending the night... don't stay. Hop back on the road and get going towards your next destination be it 10 miles or 100 miles. You end up being a little closer to where you want to be.

Have fun and watch out for the cagers and any suicidal animals.

Love the journey!

Cheers!
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I live in missouri. I have to cross all of Kansas and half of colorado to get to the good stuff. That takes a day and a half. Then I enjoy the good stuff. I am up 14 hours a day or more. Not riding all that time. But going. Then when time to go home, up at daybreak, ride till mid morning or sun issue, have breakfast. I will do 800 or more miles to get home in one day. Yes, it hurts to get off the bike.

Rod
I hear that brother! Exactly the same here: day and a half getting out west, then one shot back home. I always add an extra vacation day from work for recovery.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Lot of good advice and opinions in there. It really is hard to give a 'definitive' number, so many variables. As an example; on an upcoming trip Ely to Reno is 320 miles- less than 6 hours- total. A well known deserted main road, very few towns, posted 70mph. Another day Weaverville to Eureka 315 miles I am thinking 10-12 hours, new unknown roads and scenery = more stops pictures etc.
Are you trying to get from pt a to pt b for a reason? Is the trip about the ride or things to see and do off the bike? Are you just totally vagabonding it?
I'll do a route w google maps and look at their time calc's it's usually fairly accurate. I figure where I ride 60mph avg including fuelstops. So for a 360 mile day- 6 hrs of saddle time including a fuel stop, 15 min for every other stop and an hour for lunch. So 6hrs saddle, 1hr lunch, 1hr for 4 pic stops and an extra hour just cause ='s 9 hours for the day very comfortable and doable for multiple days
If I am on a mission to get somewhere I would rather do the longest day(s) up front and be more leisurely on the way back.

Here are a few examples;

My next trip
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=...f176c53cddb977

then from Vegas back to Ely

A ride for next year in the works
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=...9c29ba81d62424

A little3 day solo jaunt this fall
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=...0524a0a8922b35
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
spinney
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Riding a moped you learn quickly that you aren't going anywhere fast. I can ride for about 4 or 5 hours before I'm totally pooped (those pedals sure do help get some muscle in your cavs though) When you know you aren't trying to get as many miles as possible in a day the whole vibe of the trip changes. It's more about what you see along the way and cool little things you can find.
spinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
BeemerBT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I'm starting off with the raw numbers for next week's trip . . .
Roughly 6000 miles in 10 days. So I have my target daily average figured out, and will adjust the daily saddle time accordingly.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
deltamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Two Weeks to Ride

Been reading this thread with some interest. I have two weeks off work beginning next week. All along, I've been planning to go to the BMW MOA Rally in Salem, Oregon because I'm pretty sure it will be gorgeous in that area and I've never been to the west coast. I live in Northwest Ohio and have recently been having doubts about doing this ride. Approximately 2,500 miles one way. I'm usually ok with 400-mile days, but would have to do 500 / day on my Tiger 800XC to make it in 5 days. That would be 10 days of commuting for 5 days of being there. Am considering wussing out and making a total change of plans, but don' know what yet. Open to any suggestions.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
my 2 cents

well i like to set off and do what ever, like a previous poster, however I tend to be a compulsive planner.

In 2007 a went to Canada (4000 mile round trip) and I had everyday plan, millage and all, first day we did only half the millage, why? first the border crossing took over 1.5 hrs (San Ysidro CA) then we hit some big *** traffic in LA, then some mayor fires that shut down 3 lanes of I-5, and it was 115 F going 5 mph, the KLR stop working (shoot down), and my friend started complaining about his helmet and we started going into MC stores looking for a helmet. So we did just over 300 miles instead of the 600 I wanted, from that point on I only care of having a good time, seeing the mountains and enjoying the trip.

So now I set goals, a) optimistic, b) realistic and c) pessimistic and adjust on the fly. Also on the last day of my Canada trip we did 600 miles, and got home at 3 am, why? neither one wanted to stop we were like on speed! so we just keep riding, in LA I asked my friend do you want to stop? he said no, and there was no heat, no traffic and we were only 200 miles away from beds and women... So we continue

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,351
For some reason the average (GPS) MPH I've ridden over last few long trips I've taken is always right at 50mph. +- 1mph.

I'm not sure why but it's certainly made me understand my own comfortable travel distance, and the time requirements, and it's helped me plan my routes better. (Knowing approximately when I'll pull into wherever home is for the night.)

I'm not actually doing 50 because that average includes stop times (Lunch, gas, sight seeing, slow roads, fast roads etc.)

I just thought that was kinda interesting...

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
For some reason the average (GPS) MPH I've ridden over last few long trips I've taken is always right at 50mph. +- 1mph.

I'm not sure why but it's certainly made me understand my own comfortable travel distance, and the time requirements, and it's helped me plan my routes better. (Knowing approximately when I'll pull into wherever home is for the night.)

I'm not actually doing 50 because that average includes stop times (Lunch, gas, sight seeing, slow roads, fast roads etc.)

We just got back from a long tour, 5700 km. For comfort, more than anything, we ride at 50 to 60 mph. Our Burgmans motor along happily at that speed, showing from 3700 to 4300 rpm. When we go 70mph, the revs climb to 5000 rpm and the mileage drops at least 10%. According to the widget in the dashboard, we get 24 km/liter (Canadian bikes) at a moderate cruising speed, 21 km/liter if we're hauling down the Interstate at 75 mph.

In layman's terms, we're getting 56 mpg at cruising speed, 49 mpg when going freeway speeds. Over 3500 miles, that adds up.

Ride a Burg and you will be assimilated!

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
We just got back from a long tour, 5700 km. For comfort, more than anything, we ride at 50 to 60 mph. Our Burgmans motor along happily at that speed, showing from 3700 to 4300 rpm. When we go 70mph, the revs climb to 5000 rpm and the mileage drops at least 10%. According to the widget in the dashboard, we get 24 km/liter (Canadian bikes) at a moderate cruising speed, 21 km/liter if we're hauling down the Interstate at 75 mph.

In layman's terms, we're getting 56 mpg at cruising speed, 49 mpg when going freeway speeds. Over 3500 miles, that adds up.

Ride a Burg and you will be assimilated!

Regards
Scott Fraser
Keep in mind that my moving average would be higher.

I like scooters.
I ride one to work when our daughter leaves it at the house. (Vespa 250ie)
Which isn't happening this time of year.

Stinez screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:51 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeCheese View Post
When you are traveling long distances for a sight seeing trip (over 1000 miles), how many hours do you normally spend on the bike each day?

Is it smart to plan on a mandatory 8 hours of riding each day, or is it better to plan on 4 hours a day and if you feel like riding more go for it?

I typically don't plan how many hours a day I'll ride. I set very flexible goals. If I see something worth stopping and checking out I stop.

I've found that set schedules and firm plans just aren't as much fun as spur of the moment decisions. My riding days vary from a couple of hours to 15 hours. I look at a map the night before a ride and think of a spot I'd like to end up the next day and see how it goes. Campground or hotel doesn't really matter.

I listen to music while I ride to keep my mind occupied for those long days on the slab. Music and a Camelback full of ice water will keep me in the saddle till I need to stop for fuel and a snack.

I mostly travel solo which makes spur of the moment direction decisions a lot easier.

I've got 4 weeks of vacation coming up soon. My trip plan for this one is to keep an eye on the weather and head where it's nice. I'll be putting 5-10K on the odometer on this trip with no firm destination in mind. Other than if the weather's still nice some Canadain roads then down south to the 4 corners area. Or maybe I'll head down to Baja again. It really all depends on the weather forecast.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Personally, I like to get up early, ride til I ache, eat lunch (no matter what time), ride another 200 miles and then quit for the day. Sometimes this equates to stopping for the evening at 3pm which is fine. In the summer I get up at 3-4am in the dez to beat the heat. Last year I ended up rolling into St. George Utah at 2:30 with about 106f. I hit the hay early...around 8pm and then got up at 3am to head to Vegas and beat the worst of the heat. Worked for me.
BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #28
haileywilliam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I love riding and look forward to many miles in the saddle, but I don't want it to start feeling like a chore.
haileywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post

As mentioned:

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
This is going to be a huge change for me. I have always been way to much in to schedules and getting the miles in. But the goal has always been to get to something at the end. This is more about the ride and enjoying the trip and not all about the end. This is a big change in mindset for me. I need it though. I still will need to refer to daily mileage for planning.
I am planning to ride to Prudhoe Bay next year. I have been thinking about a quick trip up, lots of miles and hours/day, and then a leisurely trip home. That way if I take too much time in an area I can make that time up back in the states that I ride anyway. Yes there will be a deadline for my return to the real world.
oldNbold is offline   Reply With Quote