User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
stromsurfer OP
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 585
Life is Awesome

I have been advised that i should post here, so thought I would try and chronicle this adventure here in Hacks. I may be in over my head at some point, and may need the knowledge and wisdom of the hack collective.

Brought over from the Maine Forum.

I am doing excellent, thanks for asking. Truth be known, speaking, eating, and walking have become very difficult. Eighty percent of my speech is unintelligible, and walking without assistance is not without hazards. The most painful part is that in some respects, those challenges are quite tedious and boring(except for when choking, like last week while on the last day of a four day sail when for the first time ever i hurled and then aspirated the vomit, all while trying to hold on with useless hands, and not go overboard) However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do.

Speaking of boredom. The Dakar hack has turned into a sweet ride and I have done about 2,600 miles since hacking it. The problem is they have been all day trips. I want to go someplace but my family is not too keen on the idea of me heading North over the boarder.

So while you FF's have been leaving tracks all over the continent, I have been scheming. Hmmm what can I do....wait I know. I have never done a fly and ride. :-). It just so happens that there is a nice 2010 Ural in North Carolina, and it also just happens that my two daughters live in NC.

I leave this Friday.

I have to adapt if I want to keep riding. The Ural can be converted to hand controls, has reverse, and it is somewhat easier to get on to then my Dakar and, the rack on the back is perfect to strap my walker onto. I know the Ural is so slow that it will make me want to kill myself, but that is going to happen at some point anyway....just kidding, please nobody call the crisis hot line, I am fine. I rode a 1150GSA with Dnper tub that i really really wanted, and checked with some folks here that are in the know but, it is a bit much to push around while trying to hold a cane or walker. I need something that when I get into trouble, I can back the fuck up(sorry for foul mouth). I already had to call for help once because I could not get turned around and don't want to be embarrassed again, well at least for a week or so.

So that's it. I fly out Friday, pick the bike up Saturday, stay with my kids for a few days, and then ride home via the back roads of NC, Kentucky, Tenn, VA! West VA, and on up through. Depending on how things go i may even try to get to the big falls in NY, jump the boarder, and then its an easy downhill to Maine. Well that's the plan anyway. At the risk of ridicule from the manly men out there I will be honest....not sure how long I want to be away from the wifey. Our days together are numbered and every day apart is one fewer that we get to in person, express our love and affection for each other.

Wish me luck folks, this should be an adventure! A pathetic man, riding a reverse engineered bike from that early forties, through deliverance country, that is notorious for breaking down, all while trying to control the stupid smile on his face.

MC

Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
Sharp rig, Urally speaking. . .
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsurfer View Post
I leave this Friday.

Wish me luck folks, this should be an adventure! A pathetic man, riding a reverse engineered bike from that early forties, through deliverance country, that is notorious for breaking down, all while trying to control the stupid smile on his face.

" Every man dies, not every man really lives. "

Have fun .

Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
You just might have.....FUN
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 787
ENJOY
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,636

Good luck to you and kudo's on your determination and positive outlook
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 851
That's the way to be living and the wife will be along on the ride with you as there is no way that part of your heart can be left behind.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Where are you in Maine?

-T
Thermos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,371
Awesome!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
turtlemoye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Oddly enough I am flying into RI, buying a bike in MA, and will be riding through out VT, NH, and ME before riding back down to NC the same week you will be headed back up north.

It turns out I'm also pretty close to the Ural that you are buying. If I wasn't preparing to fly out on the 20th I would offer you any help that I could.

I also admire your zest for life. I recently lost a friend to ALS and his progression was documented and can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COeSNqjReM0
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,371
Turtlemoye, it is entirely possible that we know each other, or at least have mutual friends.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,002
Well onward and forward, you made the best choice considering the walker.Take care.DB
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Hat's off ss, enjoy the ride
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
stromsurfer OP
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 585
Ural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
Where are you in Maine?

-T
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
Oddly enough I am flying into RI, buying a bike in MA, and will be riding through out VT, NH, and ME before riding back down to NC the same week you will be headed back up north.

It turns out I'm also pretty close to the Ural that you are buying. If I wasn't preparing to fly out on the 20th I would offer you any help that I could.

I also admire your zest for life. I recently lost a friend to ALS and his progression was documented and can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COeSNqjReM0
On the Often Awesome home page, my family is pictured about five posts down from the top.
My oldest daughter graduated two years ago from Guilford College, and now works there as Assistant to the Dean of Student Life. My younger daughter will be a senior this year, and currently works there as part of the Cadre Program.

Picked up the bike Sunday. A really nice family. The son inherited it from his grandfather, who bought it in Texas and rode it to NC. The guy was incredibly anal and put a lot of time into the bike. I got a box of extras, and the most impressive tool roll I have every seen.

Bought it new from StormSeller Ural in Grand Prairie, TX. While he had it he had replaced the factory tires with German Heidenau tires (all 4 including spare), had the wheels sent to CA for balancing and truing, and replaced the factory mufflers which much nicer sounding ones. He also had aluminum alignment bars custom made so he could align the motorcycle. I have all the records of the maintenance he had done. I also have a DVD that comes with the motorcycle put out by Ural that shows how to do all the basic maintenance procedures.

Bike and Sidecar Windscreen
Upgraded Mirrors
Thermometer and Compass mounted on windscreen brackets
Extra capacity engine oil sump
Deluxe sidecar seat.
Lock for sidecar trunk
Weatherproofing for sidecar trunk
Accessory outlet
Tonneau Cover
Center stand
Sidecar luggage rack and extra gas can
Sidecar rear view mirror
Jack
Gear oil
Huge toolkit
2 Spare inner tubes
7 oil filers
Spare carb parts(changed needles)
Factory mufflers
Various other specialty tools

Getting used to the rig. Will start journey home in a few days.

Thanks for the positive comments and support.

MC
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
My nephew is Camden... named after the town. My sister lives in Damariscotta.
Getting out there on two wheels is on my definite "to-do" list!