Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #31
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
Well, technically it was $787 for the 12K service. Plus Brake flush which they recommended at 12K was $166.27 = 953, but with tax I'm calling it $1000 after rounding. Total bill was $1350, and that included 2 new Anakee 3 tires.

A partial list of what they did: Valves, plugs, oil and filter, air filter, some kind of transmission and/or rear end fluid thing, and several other things. According to the service rep guy "basically they tear the bike down and put it back together.....the 18K service is more minimal, but brace yourself for the 24K service." Only thing I will say on their behalf is I have a lot of engine and tank bars and lights they had to remove.

For all future services, I think I may visit a known local Indy shop. Unless somebody here can help me understand.
Only $400 extra for tires is not bad. I just paid about $560 for a set of Tourances plus labor.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #32
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
I don't even change the oil in my cars, but I bought the JVB DVD and have been doing my own maintenance on my 2011 GSA after the dealer did the 600mi service. I'm at 20,000 miles now and don't think I've paid more than $100 for all parts. You could always knock some $$ off by doing your own oil, Trans fluid and final drive fluid changes before you bring it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
My local dealer is a ripoff too. They seem really nice and helpful but in the end they're just trying to rake you over the coals.

I have no doubt if I had them do a full service at their ludicrous prices it would be about a grand there as well.

They quoted me nearly $300 for a brake fluid flush. When they actually billed me it was around $230 but even that's ridiculous.

In the end, all they convinced me to do was not be lazy and continue doing maintenance myself or find another shop for basic items if I don't feel like getting dirty.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #34
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
$625 labor is preposterous for this work to me, but I envy those who pay it without blinking - their time must surely be much more valuable than mine.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Other side...

Ok, I am In full agreement that dealer service is expensive.... What is even more mind blowing is owning an AUTHORIZED BMW dealership... The Motorrad requires a certain amount of sq ft of showroom, work areas, display items, stock, tools, mechanics, etc... I would venture to guess that they depend on clients to return for accessories, parts and service to keep above water as there is probably not a huge margin of profit in motorcycle bike sales...
That is no easy request with Internet purchasing.
I am glad there is a dealership in business within one hour of my house, so I try to throw them a bone every other service interval- It's always a treat to visit, have a cup of Starbucks (from the $5k vending machine) a donut and drool over all the new BMW's.
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
secondofangle OP
Coprolalic Apostate

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
$0.15 per mile for a 12K service would be $1,800.
12k service was 1350 with tires, 6 k was 650 with tires, 600 mi service was 350.

So for the first 12000 miles I actually have $2050 in routine maintenence after excluding the newest tires BC they haven't been used yet.

That's $1000/ year on a bike forth 20k new, or 5% per year.

By way of comparison a homeowner is supposed to budget between 1-3% per year for maintenance.

Apples and oranges. But I wish I had known BEFORE I bought 3 BMW bikes that I would be spending 1000$ per year per bike on maintenance. Not saying I would have bought another bike, but I should have done my homework.

Now my homework is to try to reduce these bills so as to make them as painless as possible.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #37
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Before I bought the GS I also looked at Ducati. Anyone want to quote the price of a valve adjustment on a Multistrada? How about a rear drive belt change on a HD Ultra Glide? That belt is what we used to call a "perishable part", like tires.

The invoices posted seem pretty reasonable. With the exception of over $100 for plugs and oil. Not even Bosch plugs, they are NGK, fer crying out loud!

Most labor charges for service are in the $80 - $95 range for auto and bike. Seems steep but what cha gonna do?

GrouchyGeezer screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 10:27 AM
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #38
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Sounds like you are in the majority where this kind of money actually means something. Why not do it yourself? I actually think changing spark plugs at 12k is nothing but a waste of money, but if you are going to do it why $18/plug instead of Beamerboneyard $10/plugs? and why didn't they reuse the valve cover gaskets instead of hitting you for new ones at $83? they also charged you double what synthetic motor and gear oil goes for at the store. instead of being $2k in the maintenance hole, at this point you would be at around $250 in fluids, air filter and spark plugs. If you aren't willing or able to do it yourself, I sure as hell wouldn't bring it back to this place.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #39
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Is the brake fluid really worn out at 12000 miles?

Are the plugs really burnt out too? Even close?

I worked in and owned an auto shop for 32 years..........

The air filter and the oil change are usual and good to at frequent intervals.

But this other stuff.......... i am not so sure about.

The valves.......... any reason they need tweaking so often? On a car they last a heck of a long time.
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #40
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Not really worried on most items.

The Bosch Iridium plugs on one of my BMW cars were still fine at 65k, but I swapped them anyway since there was some wear evident. Changed them once on my old BMW K bike in 8 years. No wear really; they looked fine.

I regularly pushed my brake fluid changes on my servo-ABS'd K1200RS without issue.

Had valves checked on my R1200GS on schedule, no adjustments needed.

Other than annual oil changes and occasional gear oil swaps a lot of this stuff should really be "as needed" just like tires. No sense in dropping $1k/yr if you aren't putting in a lot of hard, hot days or beating it up off road.

My $0.02.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
2013 WC Maintenance Schedules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Main...-Schedules.pdf

This is what they do. No tearing down and putting back together.
It's really easy to do and takes very little time.
Actually, it's this one 2013 WC:(but pretty much the same):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...4609DB3988!336

YOU can do all this stuff...assuming you have a pulse!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #42
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I wasn't being insulting , you do a good enough job on your own. So your friend does his own since december?
Hmmmmm......this could get ugly......
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #43
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I'm starting to see a trend here. I'm thinking that the majority of BMWs are owned by some fairly detail oriented personalities. People who by general disposition are, shall we say, picky. I see nothing wrong with that, but I think that the dealerships have latched onto that trait.
Do you really think that the brake fluid is worn out after 12,000 miles? If so 99.9% of every car and motorcycle out there is a ticking time bomb.
Rear end grease needs changed every year or two? I build giant haul trucks, they run 24/7/365 with service intervals in the thousands of hours range. It sounds like, gasp, poor engineering on BMW's end to require such service intervals.
I guess that riding Jap bikes for all of these years has jaded me. Change the oil every so often, spoon some tires on it, lube the chain and ride the crap out of them.
$1K a year to do basic service is just nuts!
Nodabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Sounds like you are in the majority where this kind of money actually means something. Why not do it yourself? I actually think changing spark plugs at 12k is nothing but a waste of money, but if you are going to do it why $18/plug instead of Beamerboneyard $10/plugs? and why didn't they reuse the valve cover gaskets instead of hitting you for new ones at $83? they also charged you double what synthetic motor and gear oil goes for at the store. instead of being $2k in the maintenance hole, at this point you would be at around $250 in fluids, air filter and spark plugs. If you aren't willing or able to do it yourself, I sure as hell wouldn't bring it back to this place.
Agree on overcharge...valve cover gaskets are not called for replacement and they charged $25 for 180ml of differential fluid....I'm guessing they didn't throw out the other 4 doses of fluid left in that bottle. Abusive.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Actually, it's this one 2013 WC:(but pretty much the same):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...4609DB3988!336

YOU can do all this stuff...assuming you have a pulse!
Thanks for posting.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote