+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Needs more mudflap.

(apologies to Will Ferrell)
I GOT YOU COVERED

Sorry, mudflap joke.

Hey Fred- About your long driveshafts I hear so much about. Next year, we go long? Adapter for the starboard side, and cut and weld another tube to the port side, and I'll be able to use the same shock mounts, and put the 40Nm springs back in
Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #467
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,215
Ya know that might be doable. I wouldn't trust any of our welds on a driveshaft but if you get the adapter for the right side, extending the left shouldn't be out of the range of a juicebox welder.

edit: I'm pretty sure this bike won't look right unless the guy riding it has that Monty Python Viking helmet.

edit edit: and an axe

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 09:38 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #468
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,215
One of my dad's friends showed me a trick for keeping two pipes perfectly in line for a weld. If you clamp them together with two piece of angle iron the pipes have to be straight. You tack weld the pipes together in the space between the clamps, remove 'em and finish the weld. Piece of cake!

You should still put a tight-fitting pipe on the inside, or maybe the outside, so as not to trust all the weight on the weld but the weld will at least hold it straight. The old-timer also suggested leaving those piece of angle iron in place and welding them in as braces to support the weld. You could angle the cuts on the ends of the braces so they look a bit nicer, put them on the top and bottom since that's where the stress'll come from, and leave 'em there.

edit: I think the tough part will be getting the length of the left side EXACTLY the same as the right. I don't think getting the weld to be strong, even jumping-buses strong, will be that hard at all.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #469
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

I think youre right- It could happen > To line it up, you would need some sort of short, stout metal that could go between the holes in the end of the swingarm. :wink

UP till 2 again, mucking it all up. Just barely got the airbox on, I should never have used nylocks to hold the front airbox flap on. Now its six fiddly bolts instead of 6 easy bolts.

Also, I kept trying to make that rear fender work right, and I think I cut too much :-( so Looking around...

Also talkedto Baja Designs... they have a light kit that has a front brake switch, and theoretically hooks straight up to the battery, so its constant DC powered. I am wondering if I can use the power take off from the relay on the PowerDynamo system. THere's a wire on the diagram that says "To existing electrical system"

Light kit is blinkers, horn and headlight. Think If i hit all at one it might make all of 100w. Which is not quite 10 amps... little bitty relay should b able to handle 10 amps for a minute, and mostly 5 for the duration?
I would plan on running the roadbook off hte battery, but can probably pull it off the PD alternator, as well, right? Somebody tell me YES please it would be so nice and easy if the answer were yes

I cant decide if I like the white or hte black better, but its probably going black/green.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #470
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,970
cowpoopgreen

...black or white with green sounds cool...just not John Deere green there farmer boy...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #471
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...black or white with green sounds cool...just not John Deere green there farmer boy...

Its really the yellow that sets off the john deere green. THat green would be NOthing without that yellow. I'm thinking Napa is getting rattle canned before it goes out in public.

I spoke to Baja Designs and they recommend this:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=121036

Haha, no not buying that bike, lol. The #12-1036 with #601106 white shell, and #12-0101 front brake switch M8x1.
Tell the guys when you buy it to set it up for 100% DC power. They say to run it straight off the battery.

But I kind of want to run it off the magneto.

RIght there where it says "Bordnetz." Can I tie in the rest on the Baja DEsigns system right there, instead of directly to the battery? Thereby using the powerdynamo alternator anad its 180w of capacity rather than the battery?

Or, since that connection is off the relay, do I need to connect it to a beefier relay itself, in order to run what amounts to a max of 10 amps with all blinkers and horns blaring?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #472
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...you might want to give this guy a call, he's a JPL engineer and knows his stuff. Local boy, easy to talk to.

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #473
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...you might want to give this guy a call, he's a JPL engineer and knows his stuff. Local boy, easy to talk to.

http://www.trickdualsport.com/
I'll check them out for sure, RD, thanks for the heads up
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #474
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hey Fred- About your long driveshafts I hear so much about. Next year, we go long? Adapter for the starboard side, and cut and weld another tube to the port side, and I'll be able to use the same shock mounts, and put the 40Nm springs back in
I do like Brads little trick with the pipe weld. Just remember that the swingarm isn't a perfect tube.

I have a friend doing two 100mm extended shafts and he's requested me not to publish his name as he'd like to 'get out' of the business. Painful.

I do believe it's time that 'we' explored doiing some of this ourselves. I have two mono swingarms ... and I'm dying to cut them up. I also have a dual shock swingarm that could be equally as fun. Also, from a structural point of view the dual shock swingarm does not have to be as beefy as the mono ... due to there being two sides, and the mounting point of the shock. Just sayin.

EDIT: Hey BRAD! You still have that argon regulator? I'm thinking we needs it, precious.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #475
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 278
you know you want to...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904730

Fossa's fantastic fantasy
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #476
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,359
So where we at homeboy?

Hancock turkey run this weekend.I got room in the Sprinter,,,,for any BMW,,,,,,or GasGas,,you may wanta ride.

Itll be a good weekend for a test run.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #477
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
So where we at homeboy?

Hancock turkey run this weekend.I got room in the Sprinter,,,,for any BMW,,,,,,or GasGas,,you may wanta ride.

Itll be a good weekend for a test run.
Making slow prgress, brother. But i've been in Glacier for a week on family vacation.
Got the rear springs in the mail, and a fork brace, and a new rear fender (replace the mock up i mocked into oblivion) and jenna bless her heart is sending TraderN's hard heads, and a set of handlebars.
The exhaust is ready to be cut and welded when i get home later today, so we'll have some stuff for you soon :-)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #478
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Making slow prgress, brother. But i've been in Glacier for a week on family vacation.
Got the rear springs in the mail, and a fork brace, and a new rear fender (replace the mock up i mocked into oblivion) and jenna bless her heart is sending TraderN's hard heads, and a set of handlebars.
The exhaust is ready to be cut and welded when i get home later today, so we'll have some stuff for you soon :-)

Nice Family time.

Let me know ya need any help.

And of course,,the offer for Hancock quarry run is always open.Saturday or Sunday,your not that far away from there.Looks to be a big Team Ghetto turn out.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".

AWM screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 08:25 AM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #479
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Nice Family time.

Let me know ya need any help.

And of course,,the offer for Hancock quarry run is always open.Saturday or Sunday,your not that far away from there.Looks to be a big Team Ghetto turn out.
It was a bog family weekend, Scott. My Stepmother's memorial services were this weekend. :handoverheart

Well, that must mean we've come to the time of the month were I take off work for a few weeks.

Progress up till now: I got the fork brace on, which is nice, and I got the new 30Kn springs for the back, AND I managed to get the minstalled. (I used hose clamps to compress the coils.) I know, its dumb and dengerous, but I made it work)

Going to see if I can set sag and preload today. Also, going to try and nail down the exhaust thing A little cut,rotate and weld on teh collecor box and it should work.

I ended up going with the Baja Designs kit, RD. I looked at JP's stuff. It looks soild, but the Baja Kit wasnt any cheaper or more expensive, and it had all the things I wanted, how I expected them to look, so I just went with it.

Also ordered the navigation kit from Rally Management Services.

I installed Jenna's handlebars, and I need some Rox Risers. 2" at least, probably.

OH! the big news: I ordered a set of Hardheads from Neil Grimes. They are awesome, but somehow we got our wires crossed and I got a set built for an R65, not an R60slash5. SO they are a bit short. I was hoping maybe one of you all in the world needed a set for your R65, and i could pass these along to you,

otherwise I'll have to try and make these work, or eata bunch of shipping. :(
Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #480
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...VASS ISS hARDHEADS?...