User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Thanks, nice job

Sent Leo a gold dental crown I had to have replaced. Super quick communications and service, got nearly a Ben Franklin for my used toofus! Great service, nice guy, fast...excellent! Highly recommended.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,380
Leo is honest and a very friendly businessman.

I sent him almost 2k worth of God and the transaction was pleasant and friendly start to finish.

HIGHLY recommended.

Gracias amigo!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #33
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,898
Talking Bump

Worked with Leo recently. The material was kind of emotional and I feel privileged to have had Leo helping me. Heart and trustworthiness at a level that doesn't really exist anymore-- except on ADV

I consider Leo a friend

Highest recommendation.

ADV Trust indeed
Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #34
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,748
Thanks, Mugs. You have no idea how much your kind words mean to my wife and I.

But since I'm here in this thread, let me warn y'all about Spam Alert! I haven't posted an update here, but I suppose it's a reasonable time to do so.

Y'all know that I'm a retired chemical engineer. Well, one who failed at retirement. I rode my motorcycles all over the U.S. and over half of Mexico, thinking that checking off that bucket list would be fulfilling. It was, but when it was over, I found myself wondering what was next.

So I started the Gold buying biz.

And last year we expanded in high end, Computer Aided Design of jewelry. You know the feeling of seeing something really cool and wanting to make it yourself? No, not copy it, but just to create something of beauty? That happened to me as I saw so many gorgeous things come through my shop these past few years.

This engineer has worked with mathy, techy, geeky stuff all his life, and has decided to apply this technology to design jewelry items.

Yep.

Here's an example:

A customer came to us this past month with a jewelry problem. She had a beautiful marquise diamond ring in platinum, but as she regularly wore gloves at work, was always snagging the ring on the gloves. She wanted a new ring design.

We changed the orientation of the diamond from “north-south” (along the finger), to “east-west” (across the finger). We placed the diamond in a bezel setting and set it low on her hand so that the diamond would not snag.

The pictures show the steps in the design. She was, uh, happy. s

Step 1, the dual ring shanks

2, placing the marquise diamond with bezel (the metal "skirt" around the ring) on the shanks

3, rotating the diamond to east - west

4, tweaking bezel size

5, smoothing out the shanks

6, final design

7, 3d printed resin model

8, final ring, in platinum

Of course, I skipped a lot of steps in the CAD design explanation, but ya'll get the picture. Right now we're using someone else's 3d printer, but we'll probably have our own in a few months. We're making rings pretty regularly now. And our customers have been quite happy.

I'll yak some more a bit later. I'm headed out on a bike ride so I won't be on the computer for several days...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #35
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 722
Silver coin.

Lobby, this looks like a great service to provide for ADV'ers. Thanks. I am considering buying bulk silver coin as a hedge against inflation. Is there a good way to do this? I live in Washington state.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,748
I sometimes have some quantities of U.S. silver coins on hand, but I sold them all just this past Saturday. Right now, I'm out.

The silver coin market is changing a bit. The large corporations (say, Apmex) have discovered that they can squeeze a few more dollars out of the silver coins by "grading" them. Jeez, what ever happened to junk coins?

So while you used to be able to buy $10 face value of silver coins, containing 7.15 oz of silver, for about 10% over spot, now if you contact Apmex, you'll get this bewildering menu, sorted by coin grade (condition), of course, the higher the grade the higher the price.

When I have silver coins to sell, I typically sell them at 10% over spot, using 0.715 oz of silver per dollar of face value (for dimes, quarters, and halves - silver dollars are different).

I'd recommend checking with a local coin shop. They should have some on hand. Make sure they tell you how much above spot their price is. They may say something like "$2 over," which means 2/19 or a little over 10%.

Feel free to call me if you have questions.

PM sent

Leo

PS, here's a recent gold wedding band we designed. I call it the "Yellow Brick Road" band.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #37
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,834
Leo's custom stuff is top notch

I feel real bad as Lobby busted his ass way back in April to get this done for my wife and I never posted pics & Leo is to modest to post the ones he took (and I told him to)

Working with Leo's wife Elsa was great - Leo is Leo...what can I say

Anyway Leo re-worked my wifes wedding and engagement rings to a new design & also repaired the band on her Grandmothers 3 stone ring

My crappy pics....

Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #38
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I stumbled across this post while poking around the Vendors section and remembered a few things gathering dust in a drawer.
I sent them off to Leo and was pleasantly surprised at what I was offered. He took the time to answer all my questions and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again.
Thanks!
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #39
SDIZZY
N00b

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
I stumbled across this post while poking around the Vendors section and remembered a few things gathering dust in a drawer.
I sent them off to Leo and was pleasantly surprised at what I was offered. He took the time to answer all my questions and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again.
Thanks!

I did just the same, what a top notch, fast turn around, solid deal.
I turned my old high school ring into bike parts!
SDIZZY is offline   Reply With Quote