Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #8191
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj4x4 View Post
Hi,
So im thinking about getting a 04 ktm 640 enduro that has 55648k's (34578mi). He's asking $5500aud for it, Is he dreaming or does it sound about right? Also it comes with a 27lt safari tank along with the 18lt and 12lt factory tanks and has the seat to suit them tanks.
Cheers,
Matt
Thats getting up on kms,if you got your heart set on a lc4 something else may turn up for around those dollars with less kms,gather you from oz with the km/aud $conversion,ditto with looking at some other brands for touring/trailriding etc.....see a few very well set up dr400s/wrs etc etc from time to time on bikepoint,its a buyers market go out and maybe testride.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #8192
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 113
Alternative fuel switch & side stand question

Heelo all,

I am looking to buy a 2005 640A. It looks in an honest state(i.e. has been looked after ok). I noticed it hasn't got the switch for the different fuel grades and has a centre stand but no side stand.
Q1. Did this year come with the switch for alternate quality fuels? It has a hole on the left hand side of instrument panel but no switch. If they did have one, is it an easy job to refit, presuming the wiring is there i see no problem why not but yet to find it.

Q2. Can you have both centre stand and side stand?

Cheers,
Neil.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #8193
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Heelo all,

I am looking to buy a 2005 640A. It looks in an honest state(i.e. has been looked after ok). I noticed it hasn't got the switch for the different fuel grades and has a centre stand but no side stand.
Q1. Did this year come with the switch for alternate quality fuels? It has a hole on the left hand side of instrument panel but no switch. If they did have one, is it an easy job to refit, presuming the wiring is there i see no problem why not but yet to find it.

Q2. Can you have both centre stand and side stand?

Cheers,
Neil.
Q1. No switch, but a wire down near RHS side plate. It's a brown wire. Easy enough to wire a switch in.

Q2. Not using KTM OEM parts. SW-Motech make a side stand that works with the centre stand.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #8194
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Q1. No switch, but a wire down near RHS side plate. It's a brown wire. Easy enough to wire a switch in.

Q2. Not using KTM OEM parts. SW-Motech make a side stand that works with the centre stand.
Hey David,

Awesome, thanks for the response.
Hopefully the deal comes off. I've been looking for one of these for some time. Took bike for a ride today and felt great for a big bike (not used to them), was easy to ride since not riding since January (no bike).
Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Neil.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #8195
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,854
Quote:

I've done both on mine, works a treat.
top middle switch is my octane switch, way easier placement than under the side panel.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #8196
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I Prefer Orange Koolaid

Gentlemen...I've just made the jump back to KTM from a short and trouble filled stint with an XR/L. I'll be putting an 04 625 SXC in my garage hopefully by the end of next week. Lookin forward to getting to know ya'll.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #8197
NoSeason
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking My new 2005 Ktm 640

Hey fellas,
I hope im doing this right, super noob here
Ive been lurking you guys since before I bought my bike about 4 months ago. Your guys' enthusiasm on the bike is mainly what helped me seal the deal on buying it. It's the first bike I've ever owned and I've fallen in love.
Sadly, about 30 minutes after this photo was taken I went around a corner to fast and slammed the bike into a small grass hill. After the crash I got back on her, started her up, and drove off, the bike felt a little weird but I thought maybe that was just adrenaline, nothing looked seriously damaged except for some scratches and a dangling turn signal. Then I began to notice that there was a small knock of my forks when I tapped the front brakes, and it slowly began to change the way the bike handled as well. I looked in my manual and it said to tighten the steering bearings, but when I jacked the bike up the play wasn't coming from the steering head but from where the inner and outer sheath of the suspension forks met, where the dust seals are located.
I bought the bike with 5000 miles on it, I've got about 9,500 now. Thanks to creeper I've performed 2 successful oil changes (after making a big oily mess the first time ). She's bone stock, but I have the aluminum cases (saddle cases) which I've already bought parts to change the latching system and paint them the same color as the bike, green and gold flakes and all. I've also had the chain, 2 sprockets and all the rear bearings changed out at the shop, which cost me $700. I really dislike taking my vehicles to a shop which is why I can take my truck completely apart if I want to. But when it comes to my bike I'm a babe in the woods, I want so much to learn!
NoSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #8198
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj4x4 View Post
Hi,
So im thinking about getting a 04 ktm 640 enduro that has 55648k's (34578mi). He's asking $5500aud for it, Is he dreaming or does it sound about right? Also it comes with a 27lt safari tank along with the 18lt and 12lt factory tanks and has the seat to suit them tanks.
Cheers,
Matt
Dunno what's a good price where you are but that sounds a bit steep unless in real good nick. Mind you, 3x tanks is nice. At that mileage I would immediately do the cam & follower bearings, water pump rebuild, new starter clutch, service forks & shock & linkage bearings & check & clean the carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSeason View Post
30 minutes after this photo was taken I went around a corner to fast and slammed the bike into a small grass hill. After the crash I got back on her, started her up, and drove off, the bike felt a little weird but I thought maybe that was just adrenaline, nothing looked seriously damaged except for some scratches and a dangling turn signal. Then I began to notice that there was a small knock of my forks when I tapped the front brakes, and it slowly began to change the way the bike handled as well. I looked in my manual and it said to tighten the steering bearings, but when I jacked the bike up the play wasn't coming from the steering head but from where the inner and outer sheath of the suspension forks met, where the dust seals are located.
Check your fork alignment in the triple clamps, could just be a bit twisted up. Support the bike, loosen all the fork pinch bolts, give everything a wiggle, they should settle back to paralell, check with a couple of straight edges across top & bottom. Usually they crash pretty well.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #8199
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I've done both on mine, works a treat.
top middle switch is my octane switch, way easier placement than under the side panel.
Cheers Skibum.

Paid the deposit today for bike, so will look into this once I get it home.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #8200
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Cheers Skibum.

Paid the deposit today for bike, so will look into this once I get it home.
No sweat, just get a better quality switch. Funny, I live in New Melbourne
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #8201
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,201
Speaking of Octane switches, anyone know if the pre-'03 models have this feature?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #8202
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 653
I put a switch on mine, but didn't run it the whole way up to the dash. Just mounted it down near the panel. I have a thing about drilling holes in expensive Austrian plastic.

FYI, I have never bothered with changing the setting in Australia.

Welcome to the family Dirty3.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #8203
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
I put a switch on mine, but didn't run it the whole way up to the dash. Just mounted it down near the panel. I have a thing about drilling holes in expensive Austrian plastic.
Oh come on, like all the other smashing and bashing is any better
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #8204
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Speaking of Octane switches, anyone know if the pre-'03 models have this feature?
They do not.
I converted my '02 over with a later ignition coil for a RTW ride, it was plug and play.

No issues at all with the upgrade.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #8205
pubetmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Greetings from Germany

Hi guy's , just e little hello to all the other 640 @ Owners from me

pubetmaster is online now   Reply With Quote