Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #9991
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Was the phrase actually water cooled? I am surprised they are water cooled now but not liquid cooled. There are better coolants out there than a water anti freeze mix that would cause far less stress on the cooling system. So if it was actually water that was mentioned then it may be correct. Stopping liquid cooling, no way, they can't for several reasons.
Not stopping liquid cooling but keeping the tradition alive.
Water cooling is not mandated.
Should the R90S come in a similar form I'm thinking it would be pretty attractive without water cooling.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #9992
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Not stopping liquid cooling but keeping the tradition alive.
Water cooling is not mandated.
Should the R90S come in a similar form I'm thinking it would be pretty attractive without water cooling.

No liquid cooling isn't a mandate but emission levels are and that's the problem. Engines have to heat up quickly under euro 5 and they are also a lot tighter. To do that with the old engines would be a big ask and likely produce an engine that isn't very pleasant to drive. There is no way they will or can go back. As others have said the old engine will be around for a while yet. It's 4 or 6 years (can't remember which) before euro 5 is mandated for motorcycles so they may well continue with it in some models, maybe even models they don't currently do.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #9993
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
Just what I was thinking ! You hit the nail on the head !
I know because I have the same issue at home!

Centurion210 screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 04:31 PM
Centurion210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #9994
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Third... First production run products tend to have minor issues that are corrected in later production runs.
Forth... I have never owned a BMW, I know the brand has a very strong following of loyalest, but I also know that quality control issues have dogged many of the brands "Flag Ship" models.

So it's hard for me to convince myself to abounded a perfectly capable bike so that I may invest twice the money on a first run bike from a brand with known quality issues for a fantasy of getting out of the city and searching for Adventure. Plus - I think the addition of a steering dampener as standard equipment is a major modification to the GS Line... and very telling.
Very smart move, BMW is infamous for making unannounced upgrades based on the beta pilots' test results. Don't let the comments from those with less patience get to you...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #9995
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Soo...it has more to do with the fact that your wife isn't on board?
well, yeah.... pretty much.
deacon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #9996
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
well, yeah.... pretty much.
Easy solution to the wife problem. Just a get a new one as well to complement the new bike. :)

or maybe threaten to if she doesn't come on board. Or work harder on her, I found being relentless usually wears them down.

Ok so it took me a few months to convince my wife as well that it was a great idea. Still not sure how I got that one past her. But it seemed easy now.

Working on new tyres & Akra exhaust at the moment. :)

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #9997
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Continental tkc-80

I have a rear tire in the correct size but can't find a 120/70 R19 front tire. Shop is telling me not to worry about it as the readily available 110 / 80 R 19 will work just dandy.

Opinions before I buy it? Perfectly ok or bad idea?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #9998
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I have a rear tire in the correct size but can't find a 120/70 R19 front tire. Shop is telling me not to worry about it as the readily available 110 / 80 R 19 will work just dandy.

A 110/80 is a taller, narrower tire than a 120/70 and should make the bike steer more quickly, that is to say, be more responsive to steering input. Not by a lot, but some. Is that what you want?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #9999
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:

I'd expect it would work in a pinch, otherwise I'd keep looking for the correct size tire.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #10000
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Quote:
lol... for the record, if I let go of the bars on my FJR it'll pitch me on the ground.

I assume the staring dampener will improve performance and help the bike track straight on rough roads / off road. I also know from my test ride that the R1200GSW likes to wheelie.
For the record I regularly put the bike in cruise mode & let go of the bars to adjust gloves or whatever. Never had wobbles or anything the bike tracks perfectly at any speed unless your going ballistic & it lofts the front wheel then it's a good idea to hang on.
I like a steering damper for sand & some off road situations & will probably add one eventually when a viable option come out. Not n issue for me if its OEM or rally moto or Scott or... The ralle moto worked great on my F800gs.

R1200GS LC
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #10001
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
It is my position (and the position of Honda, as detailed in a mechanics course) that operation of the motorcycle without holding the handlebars constitutes improper operation and that therefore anything that happens when operating the motorcycle improperly cannot be defined as a problem. I happen to agree.

Another point is that motorcycle chassis are relatively stable as they accelerate or maintain speed, and inherently unstable as they decelerate. This explains why you can run without hands when cruise control is keeping the speed steady.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #10002
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

>A 110/80 is a taller, narrower tire than a 120/70 and should make the bike steer more quickly, that is to say, be more responsive to steering input. Not by a lot, but some. Is that what you want?<

I'm on Anakee lll's now and have 5700 miles on the bike. I live in AZ and have done one long trip through Nevada/CA/Death Valley, etc. The ties do have flat spots because I cannot avoid a lot of slab in high heat. The tires have been great and actually have a lot of life left in them. My home here in AZ is up a dirt road about a mile long so I ride "dirt" every day (easy road but dirt none the less). The Anakees do just fine.

I am going to Sturgis this year and will take a detour though the Dinosaur Nat'l Monument on the way -- this will be maybe 50 miles or so of dirt and I suspect the roads will be iffy and more challenging than I am accustomed to. I am 65 years old and 5'8"/175lbs and don't want to drop my new $20K bike and I don't bounce like a 20 year old either. I'd like to cheat by using TKC-80s but the front tire is not available as yet seemingly anywhere.

Kinda hate to put the "wrong" front tire size on the bike so I have been thinking about it...maybe just stick with the very good Anakees and ride slower? Dunno. That's why I asked for opinions. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #10003
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
If you are going up to Dinosaur National Park why don't you call BMW of Grand Junction, Colorado it should be on your way. They were very good to me this spring when I needed a new rear tire on my K1600.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #10004
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Quote:
>A 110/80 is a taller, narrower tire than a 120/70 and should make the bike steer more quickly, that is to say, be more responsive to steering input. Not by a lot, but some. Is that what you want?<

I'm on Anakee lll's now and have 5700 miles on the bike. I live in AZ and have done one long trip through Nevada/CA/Death Valley, etc. The ties do have flat spots because I cannot avoid a lot of slab in high heat. The tires have been great and actually have a lot of life left in them. My home here in AZ is up a dirt road about a mile long so I ride "dirt" every day (easy road but dirt none the less). The Anakees do just fine.

I am going to Sturgis this year and will take a detour though the Dinosaur Nat'l Monument on the way -- this will be maybe 50 miles or so of dirt and I suspect the roads will be iffy and more challenging than I am accustomed to. I am 65 years old and 5'8"/175lbs and don't want to drop my new $20K bike and I don't bounce like a 20 year old either. I'd like to cheat by using TKC-80s but the front tire is not available as yet seemingly anywhere.

Kinda hate to put the "wrong" front tire size on the bike so I have been thinking about it...maybe just stick with the very good Anakees and ride slower? Dunno.
That's why I asked for opinions. Thanks.
Why not try the new karoo 3 or Anakee wild?

R1200GS LC
Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #10005
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

The Karoo 3 is on backorder where I live and the TKC-80 is expected to be seen first. Dunno about the Wild though. I could also just use Heidenaus but I am one of the Heidi doubters.