User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #181
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Sealing good

From the strip of oil on the base I would say my filter is sealing nicely.

Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #182
RENCRN8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
So after reading about greasing the edge(which I didn't), I was wondering if that could be contributing to my somewhat lean condition.

2006 950
FMF cans
175 main F/R
45 pilot F/R
Stock needles in 3rd groove
Float height 4mm F/R
Flex jet screws 4 turns out F/R

Runs pretty good but still a little leaner than I would prefer based on riding characteristics and confirmed with multiple plug chops at varying RPM's.

Any ideas?
RENCRN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #183
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
So after reading about greasing the edge(which I didn't), I was wondering if that could be contributing to my somewhat lean condition.

2006 950
FMF cans
175 main F/R
45 pilot F/R
Stock needles in 3rd groove
Float height 4mm F/R
Flex jet screws 4 turns out F/R

Runs pretty good but still a little leaner than I would prefer based on riding characteristics and confirmed with multiple plug chops at varying RPM's.

Any ideas?

You aren't going to be sucking much if anything through the sealing gasket, even dry.

In my experience, your settings are a slight bit rich for the typical bike. Are you getting any backfiring? Stock air jets, right?
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #184
RENCRN8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
You aren't going to be sucking much if anything through the sealing gasket, even dry.

In my experience, your settings are a slight bit rich for the typical bike. Are you getting any backfiring? Stock air jets, right?
No backfiring. Slight surging and whiter plugs than I would like.
RENCRN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #185
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
As far as the surging goes, I would start with raising the needles, I am at notch 5, but I have 70 air jets (instead of stock 50 and I may try a 60 down the road) Mine surged like a pig on notch 4, notch 5 fixed 99% of the surging. Only has a barley noticeable surge in the first 15 minutes or less of engine warm up riding.

I am running Factory Pro Ti needles and not stock, so keep that in mind.

Can't comment on the mains you have, but they do seem a bit large. I am way under that and my full throttle roll-on is excellent.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #186
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Could be float height. They can be a major PIA to get right. I've set them and came back later and found they had 'moved.'

I would check float height and re-adjust if necessary.
I'd pull the air jets and make sure they're stock...many bikes have been leaned with fat air jets.
I'd double check the vacuum ports on the intakes and possibly the slide diaphragms, make sure something isn't leaking.

All that checks out, I would either enrichen with a higher float or raise the needle.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #187
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
From the strip of oil on the base I would say my filter is sealing nicely.

No grease but lots of UNI oil works pretty good to seal the flange imho. I'd still recommend a thin streak of some goo along the gasket though. Great PICS!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #188
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 908
I got the filter in...lots of power everywhere.

I have two issues. Idle is unstable and I see a big surge form 3000 to 6000 when in nutural. But that is not noticeable much when riding.

Idle is impossible to set. I was riding just now and had to stop several times to turn the idle down or up. I have flexjets installed so I played with them too, no dice.

I set the idle to about 1400 and rev the engine a couple of times then let go of the throttle, rpm comes down to 2200 then about 10 second later it may slowlly come down to 1400 or lower and it goes up and down, its unstable. Also I think bike is running a bit hot but I may be wrong because its about 30c out there here.

Here is my setup:

170/172 mains
45 air jets
70 idle air jets
4mm floats level
Factors pro Ti needle on 3 clip.
I tried 1 to 3 turns on idle mix screws

SAS removed, FMF pipes.
I checked TPS yesterday it was set correctly.

Fuel consumption is not bad at 6.3ltr/100km or 37.3mpg

Any ideas about the idle issue?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #189
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I got the filter in...lots of power everywhere.

I have two issues. Idle is unstable and I see a big surge form 3000 to 6000 when in nutural. But that is not noticeable much when riding.

Idle is impossible to set. I was riding just now and had to stop several times to turn the idle down or up. I have flexjets installed so I played with them too, no dice.

I set the idle to about 1400 and rev the engine a couple of times then let go of the throttle, rpm comes down to 2200 then about 10 second later it may slowlly come down to 1400 or lower and it goes up and down, its unstable. Also I think bike is running a bit hot but I may be wrong because its about 30c out there here.
Hi, this sounds to me like you are not getting a good seal on the engine side of the carb in the intake boots. Did you get the carbs firmly seated in the intake boots? I know I've thought they were and then, luckily, checked before I put it all back together to find a small gap. That would be the only thing that I can think of that would cause an un-stable idle and everything you are describing. I'd start there.

Also, my old XRR had a very finely cracked intake boot that was leaking the tiniest bit, and I had ALL of those exact issues. I did about $300 worth of other crap, and spent months of chasing my tail, because I just didn't think the boot was bad. It could be that too. Pretty easy, and cheap thing to check first. Good luck!

I'm very interested in these filter systems, just using the rest of you as guinea pigs, I'm a bad person I know... :shame

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #190
keener
Speed changes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornorte View Post
Is it tape for heat insulation?
Yes. It is heat shield on the buttom of the plate. I also made this
Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #191
keener
Speed changes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Hi, this sounds to me like you are not getting a good seal on the engine side of the carb in the intake boots. Did you get the carbs firmly seated in the intake boots? I know I've thought they were and then, luckily, checked before I put it all back together to find a small gap. That would be the only thing that I can think of that would cause an un-stable idle and everything you are describing. I'd start ...
Thank you, now that I think about it I can not remember tightening the clamps on the button of the carbs!

I meticulously checked the diaphragms they are fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #192
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Yes. It is heat shield on the buttom of the plate. I also made this
Hey, you might want to spin that thing around. Its on backwards. Could be your seat is pressing down crushing the filter or even cantilevering the front carb out of the intake boot.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #193
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Hey, you might want to spin that thing around. Its on backwards. Could be your seat is pressing down crushing the filter or even cantilevering the front carb out of the intake boot.
Yeah that would certainly cause the air leak! At least that's a cheap and easy fix to your issues!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #194
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
No grease but lots of UNI oil works pretty good to seal the flange imho. I'd still recommend a thin streak of some goo along the gasket though. Great PICS!
Thanks but no thanks on grease. I am asphalt only so little to know dirt or dust like Adv riders will get. Now on mg CRF I do grease.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #195
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Sporting Wood, I sent a PM last week.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote