User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #106
rockydog OP
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Outa Dublin headed south

I needed some info/assistance from the visa folks at the Registration Office on Burgh Quay. Pronounced key, not with a long a like quaint. No wonder people look at me with this blank look when I ask for directions. Actually got explicit directions at the HU meet, thanks, and parked on the triangle with the other bikes at Hawkins and Townsend. Grabbed the unlockable stuff and was done in 15 minutes. Window 14, please.

More directions from a biker to the coast road and not too far down the coast took a nap in a park, then a longer nap in a pub. Woops. In a very posh neighborhood with no chance of a small road and remote camp, and didn't feel like more riding. Strolled around until about 10 then pushed my bike next to the old vicar's cottage in a church yard, climbed in the sleeping bag with a tarp and slept great. At 6 the next morning I wake up to the sound of whistling and there is a small elderly man with wild white wispy hair standing on the sidewalk smiling at me. He was dressed impeccably in a suit and tie and said, 'when you wake up I have the water heated for a cuppa and the door is open to the loo'. I said, 'top of the morn, thank you'.

He told me about riding bikes in the Mideast looong time ago as we had tea. He opens up the office and church every morning, last guy that did the morning gig lasted 50 years. These kinds of interactions are magic to me, and I love passing it on, just as all the folks on this site do so well.

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 02:48 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #107
rockydog OP
just a guy

Am I spoiled, or what?

Down the coast enjoying this run of the mill weather

Here's some classic rock and roll heat tunes, don't forget Martha and the Vandellas, or add your own. The out of date map below shows only 103 degrees in OKcity, a mere piffle.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-heat-wave-songs/

His and hers?

A quick waterfront break in Arklow, too early for the G tho

I ride through more gorgeous countryside

Out of the soft tunnel and instantly I'm next to the water

Doing the usual U-turns for farm implements, super sales, curvy thatch roofs, and fresh strawberries for my cereal

Another ferry to cap the morning

We just get off the ferry in this tiny port and a woman sitting in front of the pub waves madly to friends in the shiny Jag in front of me, I have my flip up helmet up and yell at her as I ride by, 'Hey, what about me?', she stands up and gives me a double handed kiss and wave. It's these kinds of reactions, etc.

rockydog screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 03:13 AM
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #108
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Great stuff Steve as always,glad you are having a ball. Keep it coming, I need my daily fix
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #109
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
...At 6 the next morning I wake up to the sound of
whistling and there is a small elderly man with wild white wispy hair standing on the
sidewalk smiling at me. He was dressed impeccably in a suit and tie and said, 'when
you wake up I have the water heated for a cuppa and the door is open to the loo'. I
said, 'top of the morn, thank you'...
Sounds like you're really roughing it. I imagine you had to drink tea that morning,
instead of coffee.

The things you're having to endure...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #110
rockydog OP
just a guy

If he drank my coffee I'd have to stick around for his Memorial service, I've found some nasty Ristretto Expresso coffee, puts Peets to shame. I found it in a garden center/coffee shop.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #111
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Arklow, lovely

Lovely photo of Arklow, my birthtown.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #112
rockydog OP
just a guy

Arklow

Thanks, Irish J, coming across the bridge gave me a good take on the flavor of the town, nice. I parked in the Bridge's lot, climbed the fence and had coffee on the quay down to the right.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #113
rockydog OP
just a guy

Scone and a haircut, two bits

I've more or less completed my circumnavigation of the Irelands, and am back at Martins near Belgooley and Kinsale, where I began. Helping him out with his riders and bike stuff, motofeirme.com while he does the day jobs, this time an Aussie, Terry, severely jet/ferry/bus lagged so of course we went out for a pint.

Headed back to my fav breakfast joint down here, Divas in Ballenspittle. Remember the pancakes? It gets better. Had a warm scone with their strawberry sauce and coffee then around the corner for a haircut at Enas. Note the distinctive color of Divas sign

I could've stopped in here, cause they use the same shears set to summer cut

Ballinspittle is a tiny little place, been here, what?, 6 times or so and right across the street from Divas is this place, which I never computed as being the same business. Note color(and name), then note my brainnumbness. This is where they bake and bake and bake

rockydog screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:58 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #114
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, Irish J, coming across the bridge gave me a good take on the flavor of the town, nice. I parked in the Bridge's lot, climbed the fence and had coffee on the quay down to the right.
Your photos sure make a poor Irish lad homesick! Grand ride report. Where to next?

I tried the motofierme.com address, seems broken. Would you mind posting a link to Martin's webpage.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #115
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've more or less completed my circumnavigation of the Irelands, and am back at Martins near Belgooley and Kinsale, where I began. Helping him out with his riders and bike stuff, motofierme.com while he does the day jobs, this time an Aussie, Terry, severely jet/ferry/bus lagged so of course we went out for a pint.

Headed back to my fav breakfast joint down here, Divas in Ballenspittle. Remember the pancakes? It gets better. Had a warm scone with their strawberry sauce and coffee then around the corner for a haircut at Enas. Note the distinctive color of Divas sign

I could've stopped in here, cause they use the same shears set to summer cut

Ballinspittle is a tiny little place, been here, what?, 6 times or so and right across the street from Divas is this place, which I never computed as being the same business. Note color(and name), then note my brainnumbness. This is where they bake and bake and bake

Lovely color composition in your photos.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #116
rockydog OP
just a guy

Try this

http://motofeirme.com/

He's on Facebook, too, with pics of the 2007 Transalp the Aussie, Terry, bought today in Cork

I spelled it wrong. Thanks, Irish J, next is up the coast, grab a ferry and turn right

rockydog screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:08 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #117
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Lead on McDuff!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #118
rockydog OP
just a guy

I've been going to Koko's, in Kinsale, for a quick expresso since day one in Ireland, talked with the owners and most of the folks who work there, friendly bunch and always good coffee and choco. Thanks, ya'll

It's located right by the parking lot on the water and this box usually has some fans lined up

Yesterday there were fresh faces in the store, the gentleman was adjusting the expresso machine, good lad, and we talked of motorcycles and his upcoming European trip on his bike. He punched in Advrider on his IPad and will be joining and searching for some route info. That would be my expresso by the IPad.

My ace expresso barista was more interested in wrangling horses than bikes so I told her about Chico the donkey on seaside donkey and lickyty split we were reading that great blog. If anybody in the States has a horse wrangling gig she's ready to go.

Since I was fueled up I explored the town a bit, filling up with tourists, like me, enjoying the day

I learned the origin of the coffee drink 'Americano' at Koko's, guesses or input welcome

rockydog screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 01:55 AM
Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #119
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I'm really enjoying this report on my homeland, keep it coming!. Great to see you are getting good weather too. It makes me regret that I didn't ride when I lived there.

Are you planning to head further afield on this trip?
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #120
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Great RR RockyDog. Makes me smile every time I read it.

Cheers! (Guinness of course)
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote