Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #91
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Great pics. I grew up between Idaho and my grandparent's dairy farm in South Dakota. Looking at your map you would have likely passed the farm driving south of Aberdeen near Wolsey SD. The great plains are really amazing and for most folks who grow up on the east coast, they are usually surprised at the vastness of the area and how long it can take to get anywhere. The Canadian plains are even better (or worse) depending on your perspective.

Thanks for bringing back some memories for me and blighting up my Monday afternoon.
Didn't make it all the way to Wolsey since we turned towards Watertown but if the farm is typical size then I might have been able to see it from several miles away! I was told by a guy in Minnesota that the Canadian plains were the most boring he'd ever ridden but I bet they'd be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
I can't believe you are actually reporting your ride back home.
Lots of people wouldn't have the balls...............
Yep, sure am. I'm writing this for myself, mainly, and anyone who wants to read it. If you don't think I'm worthy and should just delete this whole thing, as you've made clear, then don't click on the link next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
I'll happily admit to cutting a trip short because I missed my family. I skipped a couple days in Utah's national parks, blamed the rain (it was the storm that wiped out White Rim a few years back) but the 800 mile shot from SW Utah to NE CO in a day was in large part due to wanting to see my wife. Don't tell her that though...

I'm bummed I can't live vicariously through your report, my planned itinerary would have had me in Fairbanks today between riding the Dempster and the Dalton. However my second daughter decided to torpedo those plans in the same way she torpedoed my wife's generic birth control in order to join us :). She's lucky she's cute, I've got a feeling she'll be a little hellion.
I was supposed to be in Fairbanks today too. Padre sent me some pictures and said that they are around Denali today. Apparently they actually got to see the mountain in the distance above the cloud line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNXPILOT View Post
we met at Rick's RDV last year. Camped behind you with a KLR. I was bummed, like most here, that you made a 180 and headed downhill. But I totaly understand. I am blessed with a wife who 'allows' me to fly planes for a living, ride bikes, and play in a couple of bands. Never once in 27 years has she bowed up when I've announced I'm leaving in 2 hours and don't know when I'll be back. Coming home is allways sweet!

Riding the plains of the midwest is definitely different than the southeastern part of the country. I've lived in Kansas and Oklahoma and enjoyed both states, but was glad to get back to NC!

A couple years ago I had a layover in Beatrice, Nebraska. Beartice is the location of the first Homestead claim. There is a National Park there now and they have tried to make the land look like it did back in 1865. I enjoyed walking the land and tried to imagine what it must have been like to start with nothing and have nowhere to get anything. Talk about survivalist! The museum is small but very interesting. The last homestead was claimed up in Alaska in the '70s by a Vietnam vet, if I remember correctly.

Safe travels. This is still an ADVenture! I'll have to plan better for the RDV next year.
Ah yes, the gentleman with the future pilot grandson I believe. I'm from the Homestead area in Crossville, TN that was part of FDR's New Deal but I've never heard of it up in Nebraska. I'll have to do some reading on it.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #92
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
I can't believe you are actually reporting your ride back home.
Lots of people wouldn't have the balls...............
lol

can't really say that I'd like to be away from my wife for 4 weeks. Maybe you should have planned for her to meet you in AK. At least then you'd have some extra motivation to get there.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #93
Bullspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
So you didn't make it to Alaska. At least you went for a ride. You learned something about yourself and got to see some countryside. Not bad!

Like they say, life (and a ride report) isn't about the destination, it is about the trip.

You may regret not making it all the way at sometime in the future; who knows? But I will read until the end so don't stop!
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #94
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
lol

can't really say that I'd like to be away from my wife for 4 weeks. Maybe you should have planned for her to meet you in AK. At least then you'd have some extra motivation to get there.
That initially was the plan; she was going to fly up for a week then fly back home. Then she got an invitation to study international wine law in France during the same time so needless to say she is heading there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
So you didn't make it to Alaska. At least you went for a ride. You learned something about yourself and got to see some countryside. Not bad!

Like they say, life (and a ride report) isn't about the destination, it is about the trip.

You may regret not making it all the way at sometime in the future; who knows? But I will read until the end so don't stop!
Thanks! In the end I got to see a lot of new things and go on a 3,000 mile ride with my dad. It was a great trip.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #95
JNXPILOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Homestead Act of 1862

Yep, that's my grandson. We're headed to Oshkosh next week.

Pres. Lincoln signed this act in 1862. I guess they call it a monument instead of a park.

http://www.nps.gov/home/historycultu...teadactlaw.htm

Paul
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #96
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Enjoyed the report so far . Have cut a trip real short myself before . Partially concerned about my Wife and a bunch of it was hurting to bad to think about finishing the ride . Screw any of the starbucks riders that do not like your decision to turn around . To add to your thoughts about the wagon trains etc. going across the prairie , don't forget the grasses were up to 10' high ! Imagine being on foot and not being able to see anywhere . Here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallgrass_prairie Happy trails
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #97
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Hell I'm 29 and still get rainbow sprinkles every time I go to Marble Slab!
Apparently, it's best to progress through life continuing to get better educated and gaining wisdom while not completely 'growing up'. And adventure touring riders have mastered not completely growing up better than most.

Numa
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #98
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Enjoy all of it bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclic Rival View Post
As someone that is currently studying for their LSAT and dreams of riding up to Alaska I am signing on to this one.
Enjoy it all my brother and stop in Missoula MT along your way. As for the LSAT and bar they are easy if you take standardized tests well. Just do your Kaplan or whatever and you'll be fine I aced them both no sweat. People freak out over that shit when there's no need.

The shots from Missoula I can show are here:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com...road-trip.html

PS: I suppose you already know that the practice of law does not resemble anything like what you learn in the books. It is crooked and corrupt, especially dealing with Civil Rights, employment or mortgage foreclosure fraud.

Peace.
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote