User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #211
Theonepiper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Guess I'm in the club now

Hi all first let me say great forum . I'm a 40 year old road and dirt rider Two weeks ago today a aged driver pulled out of a supermarket driveway saw me went to jump on the break hit the gas instead . T-boned me . Ambo ride latter ..open calcaneal fracture..peroneal tendon dislocation..ankle dislocation lateral ligament tear..fracture distal tibia ..
So lots of x-rays later 4hours under the knife pins and screws in plaster foot up . Dock says I'm in a world of shit for a wile and judging by these story's his telling the truth
1st week very little pain except when I don't have it up .blood rushes lotsa pain
2nd week easing off pain meds fair bit of pain were pins went in tiba still no pain in heal and ankle (don't know if that's a good thing )
Have docs tomorrow will know more then Think I'm in for a longhall
Theonepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #212
liv2ryd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
My update

It's been a year and 4 months for me now. After all boots and hardware were finally done with and out in March of '12, I did ok, but there wasn't a day go by that I wasn't reminded of the fact I did something to that ankle. Not excruciating pain, but always a reminder by way of stiffness, soreness, etc., nothing that really inhibited my day-to-day living with the noted exception that I am still very gun-shy riding my GS1200 off-road. The injury hasn't affected me mentally on road, however, I had an amazing ride this year on my GTL on the Dragon and roads in that area. Anyway, at about the 1 year mark, I noticed that my ankle didn't remind me every day that something had been done to it, that was in August. However, and I don't know if it's because of the onset of cooler weather, I am starting to notice it again. In summation, the most noticeable long-term effect has been mental in that I don't know if I want to take the GS off-road anymore. The whole thing was a very unpleasant experience that I do not want to repeat.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #213
Theonepiper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Another 4 weeks non load . Got a new super light cast very happy about that .bones seem to be healing well . They can't tell me anything more about ligerments just have to Waite and see .lots of work things to think about don't know if I can return to same job . Defiant a life changing injury
Theonepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #214
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
6 month update...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post19759352

It's been 6 months since my shattered ankle/KLR trip.

I am still doing PT 2 x week. I walk nearly every evening with my dog (thankfully), I have been swimming 2x week as well.

Not a day goes by that I am not thinking or working on the ankle. It's considerably weaker than the R leg. But, I have been pretty proactive about my recovery. I've done massage, acupuncture, aqua aerobics, self stretching exercises, etc... When I wake up each morning I hobble like an old man for 5-10 minutes until the ankle is "ready" and the pain gradually subsides. I still take 2-4 Advil per day but this too is decreasing.
I have ridden the KLR 4 times since my crash. It's okay. I still enjoy ownership of the bike but when I look at it now in the garage there is a whole new field of respect for that fat pig. Sure, I had laid it down numerous times. Every KLR owner puts their bike down for an occasional nap but, this one has really changed my life. Will I ever get "back to normal?" hmmm,... I am not sure but I am going to keep working at it, not be a victim or identify with my injury to make it " who I am" as I just want life to get back to normal as much as possible.
I feel grateful by the grace of God it wasn't worse. Where I went down things could've ended up much much worse. Spot locator, friends, first aid training, heavy narcotics saved my bacon. For that I am eternally grateful.

Ride safe & heal up gentlemen.

Ps... Had I been weari g a full mx boot this would've just been a sore/strained knee issue. BUY A DECENT SET OF FULL MX BOOT! With lateral and full ankle support (gearne 12, AlpineStar 10 or Sidi Crossfire etc). It is soooooo worth it. Believe me.
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #215
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 52
An update on a simple injury

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=102
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

My accident was 11 months ago (Jan 26, 2012 posted here) at age 52. Not as serious as most here - broke the fibula just below the knee and seriously sprained and tore the ligaments in the ankle. My takeaway: bones heal; Muscles and tendons not so quick and only with consistent work. Mental balance takes longest!

I was walking with weight in 4 weeks (Mar 1), hiking in 6 (MAr 15). But, I had what the doctor called "instability" in the ankle that caused pain or weakness in many circumstances, especially walking downhill or down stairs. Swelling persisted every day well into the summer. In September I started at a sports club with spinning, light weight training and swimming. I can say the ankle has progressed nicely under this treatment (yes!). I still feel it the first 5 minutes out of bed, but normal afterward. I still get an occasional "looseness" that scares/pains me on a step, but it's rarer now. But, no swelling now in any conditions.

I was on the motorcycle on my 10th week and did a lot of 2-up on-road riding this summer with some gravel off-road as well (in Greece, Albania and Montenegro!). And from that time I can say the real recovery is mental. I use heavier boots now (Sidi Adventure) for daily riding and that's helped confidence, though I know it's not "protection" in a serious fall under a heavy bike. More important has been the training in sports club - I'm stronger now overall and heartily recommend some physical training to help stay ahead of the bike, especially if over 50.

My accident happened in a parking garage doing less than 5mph. A little dirt and oil on polished pavement. Honestly, I can say that for me the shortest measure of time in my life was the time from when my bike was happily turning into my parking spot - to - the time when the big bitch was laying on my ankle and leg! It happened so fast that my only reaction was "damn that was fast!" followed by "it doesn't feel good, either".

So, now I live with the idea that it can happen anywhere. I don't think I'm a timid rider but I am not reckless and don't ride especially fast. But living in Europe, I do my share of lane splitting and filtering. I'm constantly alert to the unexpected lane change or stop. And I'm accepting of the fact that I could have another debilitating accident. I've weighed the risks and I'm happy to keep riding. But, every accident will affect that mental balance - and that's the hardest kind to keep.

For everyone on the mend, I wish you courage to face your challenges and patience to see it through. You will get better! Happy holidays everyone!!

middleview screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 03:49 PM Reason: typo on link
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #216
dgilmore
n00b

Oddometer: 8
One more "club member" weighs in

I'm actually "Mrs." dgilmore. My accident was 22 months ago. Both tibia and fibula broken with twisting fractures in multiple places. I was on my Street Triple which is really tall for me...I'm 5'3" and weigh in a little over a 100 lbs. I had on good gear - good, reinforced riding boots with leathers tucked in. Luckily they held my leg pretty much in place after my accident although I could feel the bones grating if I moved. I was just pulling away from a stop sign on a really windy Feb. day. As I lay in the hospital that night, they reported wind speeds of 30 mph with gust to 48 mph. The wind t-boned me; I hadn't picked up enough speed to stabilize and was too short and not strong enough to catch the bike as I went over. I've taken worse spills in Advanced Motorcycle Classes. I experienced the slow motion scenario one often has in an accident as I went down - mentally did the check list..helmet, shoulder and elbow and hip protection, gloves, boots. I was already making the phone call in my head to order a new clutch lever, turn signal and maybe mirror but not the least concerned that I would be hurt. Evidently as the bike came down, my leg just caught and twisted wrong. A truck driver found me a short time later still lying under the bike with it running in the intersection and lifted it off of me (I couldn't pull myself out from under it as I could feel the bones separate each time I tried). A second car stopped and since we were quite a ways from a hospital or ambulance service, the man volunteered to put me in the back seat of his car and have his wife drive me the 30 miles to the nearest hospital and he rode my bike (which was totally undamaged) to the hospital parking lot. It was a busy Sunday afternoon so I lay on a gurney in the hall for about three hours (no pain meds since I hadn't yet been seen by a doctor). When they finally were ready to x-ray they wanted to cut both my boot and leathers off. I voted no on both. I loved those boots and it had taken me a couple of years to get my leathers broken in and contoured to my curves - a few seconds of pain was worth it to not destroying them. I had multiple fractures just above the ankle in both bones. Had surgery the next day with a plate and nine screws on the tibia with bone grafts; the incision started under the inside of my right angle and angled up to just off center of the front of my leg and then about halfway up my leg between ankle and knee to place the plate and rods in my tibia. Then they drilled up under the outside of my right ankle and threaded the rod up through the fibula to connect the multiple loose pieces. Was very swollen and bruised for several weeks and went through the process of losing all the skin since it had been stretched so far. It was six months of progressing through cast, non-walking boot, walking boot, walker and then cane. I wasn't able to ride my two wheeled cycles but could put the walker on the back of my Spyder and use my cast or boot to brake so I did still get to ride by the end of the summer. Almost two years later, I swim three days a week and still do some stretching exercises to keep my ankle as limber as possible. I still have some swelling and different degrees of pain. Both the plate and the rod "sting" me when I move the wrong way or wear shoes or boots that constrict against them. I've been back to riding all my two wheelers (BMW, Ducati and Triumphs) for over a year but on my Diavel have to use my heel to brake as I never recovered full flexibility downward in my ankle (which stays swollen) so my toe can't reach the brake lever. My riding boots are tight..but they have an adjustable back flap that compensates. It's not comfortable to wear them but it's worth it to ride. Walking in motorcycle boots is a bit painful still. My surgeon told me going in it was a bad break and considering my petite size and small bones, he's quite pleased that I walk as well as I do. I still have a bit of a limp and my legs no longer match as my injured one has a bit of a bow in it that is more visible when I'm in a dress and high heels - which are no longer comfortable and not so much a part of my life anymore. I still can't balance on that leg despite practice and therapy. I can't run as I don't have full range of motion to allow me to push off the ball of my foot properly and I can't walk down steps without a little hop since my ankle doesn't bend quite enough for a full flex. The important part is that it's strong enough to support me when I put my leg down when riding. I mostly forget the bit of pain I have - feel it at night when the lights are out and hobble for a bit in the morning. All in all, I'm quite happy to be walking and riding. I'll leave the hardware in even though it sort of pokes out on both sides now that the major swelling is gone. The surgeon's concern is wound care if we go back in to remove anything. He'd basically be opening the same incisions again and since I'm thin and don't have a lot of excess flesh on the front of my leg, he's concerned the second incision might not heal well. It's okay - the bit of pain and sting remind me I'm lucky at 60 years old to be able to get a leg over my bikes, lucky to be walking as well as I do and lucky to be retired so that I can ride most every day I want! Hope that everyone else who has written continues to heal and will be as fortunate as I've been.
dgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #217
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
12 Month Anniversary for me, in the last couple of weeks.

I just had the plate removed from my ankle, which was holding my fibula together. I broke the fib about an inch above the ankle and dislocated it. The plate was quite low - so whilst everything had healed up quite well, I had issues with shoes rubbing on the plate and screws on my ankle, plus there was some residual swelling and stiffness which I hope, with the plate removed will settle down.

Doc left me with a 7-8" incision down the outside of my ankle - looks pretty messed up, and is much longer than the scar that they went through to put the metal in - but for now - thats just how it is.

I've been cycling heaps, which has been good - I hope to do a bit of running once this wound has healed - as I haven't been able to wear running shoes comfortably.

No more motorbikes for me - 2 busted arms, 3 ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken leg, dislocated ankle was too much for my wife to cope with in 4 years, despite many years riding with nothing more than a bruise...c'est la vie....I miss it sometimes, other times I don't.

L0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #218
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cky View Post
12 Month Anniversary for me, in the last couple of weeks.
I just had the plate removed from my ankle, which was holding my fibula together.
I've been cycling heaps, which has been good - I hope to do a bit of running once this wound has healed - as I haven't been able to wear running shoes comfortably.
LOcky I have several questions regarding your fibular plate removal.
1. How many screws were in the plate?
2. Did you have to wear a boot after the plate's removal, and if so for how long a period?
3. Did your foot feel any different when walking after the plate was removed?
4. How long were you told to wait before cycling again?
I'm a year and 6 months out from my bimalleolar ankle fracture. I'm back to doing some great cycling (40 mile rides), but for various reasons the motorcycle has been sitting idle. Three a half months after fracturing my ankle I had a really bad cycling accident (cmpd., comminuted clavicular fx. and 5 broken ribs), which has complicated things. I'm hoping the old adage about things happening in three's is not true!
I was advised I could have the fibular (6 screws) and clavicular (9 screws) plates removed any time. I've elected to wait until it gets really hot and humid so I can enjoy the current good cycling weather. From what I've read the risk of refracture is 2% within the first 90 days of plate removal. My plan is to stop riding my bicycle for 2 months after the plates are gone.
The present status of my fractured ankle is pretty much back to 100% regarding function; however, it is still slightly larger than the other ankle, a little stiff in the morning, and, if I think about it, always feels different. Shortly after fracturing it I began taking a chondrotin/glucosamine supplement but recently stopped. I noticed after discontinuing the supplement my ankle was sore every day and I was taking aspirin regularly. After about a month off the supplement I went back on to see if the pain goes away.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #219
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Hey PETDOC

Mine fracture was classified as a Trimaelleor(spelling) Fracture.

1) 6 in the plate, one in the fib on its lonesome
2) I had the operation on Monday..4 days ago...I was on crutches for a day, but no boot.. Pretty sore the first 24 hrs...now (Thurs night here) - I have no dressings on, it looks hideous, but isn't too bad - a bit of bruising, and the joint is very stiff and I have a kankle again.
3) Too early to say.....I don't think so though
4) Doc hasn't advised yet. I have the stitches out next Wed (29th) - I reckon I'll jump on the wind trainer from then, see how it goes...I'm guessing my biggest problem will be twisting out of the cleats..so until I can do that (2-3 weeks perhaps), I'll stay on the indoor trainer - plus its nearly winter downunder - its below freezing outside.

I haven't taken any supplements...but the healthy lifestyle that the cycling encouraged, meant I stopped drinking so many alcoholic beverages (beer....I'm looking at you..) and ate more fruit and veg...My ankle was perhaps 15% bigger after 12 months, but had 98% of movement back. I had residual pain in a few spots, and have resigned myself that I'll always have those. Walking and garden work, no problems....and kind of running, I think it will be problematic - but it remains to be seen. The surgery to remove the plate was done by a different surgeon, he found a couple of things in the initial xrays that the last ones didn't spot (tendon off the bone on the inside) which has now calcified and will cause some discomfort for ever probably.

I'm only 33, so its mildly disappointing, but at the same time, i sold the motorbike, bought a carbon fibre bicycle and I have never been fitter & healthier since my teens (not that I had let myself go - just acquired to bad habits...beer, I'm looking at you again....) - and the best part is, I'm having fun doing it, plus my wife actually likes the lycra - now I'm skinny with muscle tone and a six pack....

Fate is a strange beast my friend. I'm not a religious man (well a devout atheist, truth be told), but I can't help thinking, everything happens for a reason, and you make your own luck...go figure..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #220
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

LOcky,
Thanks for the information. I share some of your views and your fondness of really good beer? Carl Sagan's comment 'we're all star stuff; came from stars and will return to stars' captures my view of this life. Not so sure I share your faith in destiny. I think being in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time explains a lot. Regardless please post your experiences getting back to cycling following plate removal as I'll be a couple of months behind you. One of your comments makes me question the wisdom of my decision to have both plates removed during the same surgery.
I'm grateful my ankle fracture didn't occur until my 6 th decade and 40 plus years of fantastic motorcycling as I may have quite when younger. I believe my accident occurred because I was doing something I probably should not have been doing. Presently my intention is to return to cross country motorcycle trips. I, however, suspect my aggressive riding of the twisties will be toned down as I realize I've lived a charmed life on a motorcycle, especially when younger.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #221
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Hey PETDOC
I had the stitches out today...that was a bit painful, as I'm getting a fair bit of swelling, and the knots had pulled tight and under the skin a little.
The Dr wasn't really happy with the swelling..he said the wound could still split, so I have to get off it, and rest my leg, so the ankle is above the level of my heart. He said there is still time for a wound like that to 'go wrong'...

Truth be told, once I was up on my feet, I've been getting around and walking on it - it had swelled badly a few times over the last couple of days - and now, as it doesn't have the stitches holding it together, I'll have to be careful.

I've gone back to my pressure sock. Its a sports version of one of those socks that old ladies get for flying, but its a bit tighter than that. I've put that on, because I have to get back to work, and whilst my job doesn't involve manual labor, I sort of need to be there.

Based on the feedback from the surgeon - they had to cut a muscle to get to one of the screws, and the swelling, and not completely healed wound - I'm going to delay getting back on the wind trainer for another couple of weeks....at least until the wound has scabbed and sealed 100%..in order to avoid aggravating the swelling and causing some of those issues I've mentioned.

We'll see.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #222
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ouch! Sounds like I need to retrieve the compression sock from the back of the sock drawer. Still no specific recommendation from the orthopedic surgeon on time interval to return to cycling?
My concern is once the fibular plate and lag screw are removed my distal fibula will be Swiss cheese, and the push-pull associated with cleated bicycle shoes will re-fracture the bone. I'm worried my planned 2 month hiatus from cycling post plate removal may not be an adequate time period for the cortical bone to bridge the holes. I've been using a low amplitude, pulsed ultrasound on my shoulder to accelerate bone healing for the past year (clavicle fx far worse than fibula). Once the plate is off I may strap the ultrasound transducer over my fibula daily for 2-3 months; however, it supposedly only stimulates bone growth on acute fractures--not sure a screw hole qualifies.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #223
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I posted this on the Oz ADV site,
I too have broken my ankle,
From reading the previous posts I am very lucky.
It has been a month since the accident and I am walking in a boot, today I tried my Army boots too see if they would give enough support, and I was able to walk OK and even do some work in the shed.
Tomorrow i will ride the GS to work.....I wont tell the Doctor.

There have been many questions asked in the past regarding hard or soft panniers, advantages/dissadvantages...

If you intend to trail ride...go for soft panniers....or this may happen....
http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpin...3916_819-M.jpg

http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpin...3908_474-M.jpg

A group of us were riding up Mt Pinnibar in the Victorian High country...the bike fell over on a steep section on loose rocks, my ankle got caught underneath the pannier, In case you are wondering the bike is OK.
http://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpin...0828_176-M.jpg
My ankle was realy sore but I could still walkish, with two more days of trail riding till home....I'll be right just a twisted ankle...
Changing gear was fun...had to use my heel to change up gears...

It turns out that I broke my Fibia in two places and chipped my Fibia....Next time the Andy Strapz panniers will be used...
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #224
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
Ankle breaks are no fun. I broke my ankle when I rolled it playing tennis in January of 2012. Missed an entire year of tennis. The only good news is that it is pretty much 100% again. I took the advice to be patient and let it heal properly.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #225
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

LOcky,
My plate and screws are coming out in 9 days (6 screws in fibula and 1 screw up tibia). I have been very active, e.g., riding my bicycle on trips of 35 to 42 miles weekly since last November. Did you need crutches to get out of the hospital after your hardware was removed or could you walk on the ankle? Reason for asking is I loaned my crutches to a neighbor who really needs them and don't want to ask for them back unless absolutely essential.
Thanks
Dave