Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #91
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
It was something to get used to... back when we went from to tube just rotated on the handlebar via light lube... to the ones that have a bearing on the end. so there is a slight chance you could go back to the normal old style twist throttle instead of the bearing one. But on my gas gas to install the bearings version I had to cut like I can't recall, almost a third or half inch of off , at the end of the bar. I don't know why a guy couldn't find a spring that is narrower an add it to the one you have? the trick will be finding one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #92
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Huh, I lost my post if it shows up sorry

It was something that we had to get used to and some didn't like when we went to the bearings on the throttle tube.

I don't see why you couldn't find a spring that is narrower than the stock one and add it to your carb. the trick will be finding one of course.

when we put the bearing on bikes that didn't have the bearing from factory... the instructions said to cut like a quarter or a half inch off that side of the handlebars so you probably can't easily go back to a non bearing throttle tube

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #93
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,184
I cut the damn nut spear off the rear fender today. What the hell were they thinking? This thing could actually go through any soft body parts!

I didn't make an up last Sunday and had to jump backwards and down with the bike coming with me. This stoopit spear almost got the boys.

Please……….no low hanging fruit jokes.

I think it actually lools better without it.

Still loving the 2T Beta!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #94
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 696
It looks good, Gordy, glad your boys are safe
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #95
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Spent a few hours on a 2014 super smooth recently that a friend/dealer has as a demo. I couldn't believe the turning radius and balance. The first section I tried I did better on than with my montesa I've been riding for several years. Made it feel like a tl250. Very well made machine and so tempting. The new black is nice but I sure like the red like yours.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #96
mtber
Learnin'

Oddometer: 17
Dented pipe

Riding my 2013 EVO 300 in the backyard today, slipped the front tire off a stack of pavers and put a healthy quarter-size dent in the titanium pipe. Also bent the pipe up into the fan case. Had to put a strap around the pipe to bend it back out to get the fan to spin again. Now the pipe/cylinder joint is puffing a little oil and air when I rev it.

Question: Does a dent that size affect how smooth the bike runs?

I have been mucking with the jetting and needle to try to get rid of the knocking when I roll off throttle. After the dent today I could not get the thing to run smooth at all. Tried airscrew positions from all the way in to 2 turns out, could not find a smooth location.

Needle came with the clip one notch from the bottom (fourth notch down from the top of the needle.)

Thanks
mtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #97
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oh....that poor Beta.

You will need to get the exhaust sealed up before it will run properly again. It's not the dent, but the leak that is causing your bike to run crappy.

You can try pulling it off, putting a new gasket in and silicon the hell out of it with high temp
silicone just to verify the problem. It may even fix it for a while or until you want to buy new parts.

At least you were riding!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #98
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Does the beat use a metal crush washer like GG? I would start be replacing that if it does. The quarter size dent probably dosnt effect much - other than your pride.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #99
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Just saw this -- don't really follow the Beta thread. !Merde! The first dent really hurts.
Down here in the desert we say that as soon as you get a new truck you must go to the chaparral and put the "Arizona pinstripes" on it, just to get it over with. There must be an analogy to whanging yer new trials bike...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #100
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
We are Illinois...............

Newest BETA Dealer !!!!
nwcycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #101
Gordy OP
Team Listo

AWESOME!! Congrats and good luck with the venture!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #102
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Rode my '14 Evo 300 over the weekend.

At long last! My local trials club organized an arena ride to get out of the freakin cold so I was able to finally get on my new bike.

For reference, I owned a 2005 250 Rev3 that I had for a year. Great little bike, rode it a lot and learned a lot.

The following observations are based on my personal comparison between the 2 bikes. It would have been nice to ride them back to back, but I sold the '05 last summer and haven't ridden a trials bike till last weekend...I'm rusty.

The '14 is very nicely balanced, IMO it's easier to do lock to lock turns on it, clutch works very nice but might have a slightly stiffer pull than my old bike, but very nice and light. The brakes were a little grabby but became smoother towards the end of the day. I rode for about 2.5 hours doing obstacles, jumps, wheelies etc.

The Evo has 2 map modes, so I started in the soft map, but found the delivery and little too soft for my liking. I switched over to the aggressive map and felt the power delivery was a little more like my 250. That is, I liked the "hit" more. The EVO is very smooth and this is not a bad thing, IMO. The power is there, you just need to crank the throttle more than I am used to doing....time for a flashback....

Last year, shortly after I got the bike, I was on a trail ride with a buddy, I was waiting for him and decided I'd do a fancy pivot turn to go back and see what was taking him so long (it should be noted that up to this point I hadn't ridden a 2 stroke for some time and had forgotten how hard they can hit when you twist too hard). So, I put my foot down, lean the bike over, give it gas and let out the clutch at, what I assumed was, an appropriate rate, and was left standing by myself on the trail as the bike launched itself like a sling shot from underneath my ass. I found it off the trail about 5 feet down an embankment.

Now, come back to the present with me- So I'm thinking of this while trying to get used to my new purchase, cautious that it's got 50 extra CC's and it's new and should deliver serious power very quickly, so I'm being careful to avoid another embarrassing event when my bike decides to buck me off in an enclosed arena with a bunch of other riders around...DIDN'T HAPPEN. As I said earlier, the power delivery is very smooth, linear and it's really very manageable. It surprised me, because it was so, UN surprising.

One of the local young guns, has a GasGas 300 and took my Beta for a ride. He said the difference in power delivery was noticeable and that he liked how smooth and linear the power band was in the Evo. He did things with my new bike that I can only dream of...

It took an hour of playing to shake the cob webs off but I really started to enjoy the Evo. It's very refined, balanced and the suspension is firm yet supple, taking my 190 pounds of bulk without difficulty.

I'm really looking forward to getting it outside onto natural terrain when the snow finally buggers off.

Garrett
Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #103
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I can affirm Garretts' report on the smoothness of the 300 evo. I reciveived a 13 model during a snow and ice storm last week and have only been able to skate on ice. Successivlly! The power is very smooth off the bottom and I never felt I over revved. I have rode only a thousand yards yet, but for the conditions, the bike is spot on.
I cant wait for things to thaw.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #104
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Does the beat use a metal crush washer like GG? I would start be replacing that if it does. The quarter size dent probably dosnt effect much - other than your pride.
No, it has a flat wide gasket.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #105
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtber View Post
Riding my 2013 EVO 300 in the backyard today, slipped the front tire off a stack of pavers and put a healthy quarter-size dent in the titanium pipe. Also bent the pipe up into the fan case. Had to put a strap around the pipe to bend it back out to get the fan to spin again. Now the pipe/cylinder joint is puffing a little oil and air when I rev it.

Question: Does a dent that size affect how smooth the bike runs?

I have been mucking with the jetting and needle to try to get rid of the knocking when I roll off throttle. After the dent today I could not get the thing to run smooth at all. Tried airscrew positions from all the way in to 2 turns out, could not find a smooth location.

Needle came with the clip one notch from the bottom (fourth notch down from the top of the needle.)Thanks
Hmmm, first off; if the bike was running good before and all that was wrong was knocking on decel then use better gas to eliminate the knock. I find that VP109 works pretty good in the 250, I'd go to 110 next, then to C12 if that doesn't work. Put the needle and jetting back to where it ran the best. Second; while you have your carb apart spread the floats apart some, this makes it easier to put the bowl back on and prevent the float from sticking on the overflow tube. Third; order a new exhaust header gasket, but in the mean time I would loosen the all the bolts and brackets on the exhaust and make sure the header to cylinder flange is flat against the exhaust port and tighten those two bolts first then the rest. Do not use high temp RTV silicone as it will not hold up to the oil in the exhaust.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote