Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #241
PrairieMan
PrairieMan

Oddometer: 26
Heat on the F800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I've ridden in that "dry heat" fron Tucson to Mesa mid-afternoon, when it was 113. Had a H-D Road King at the time. Stupid me!

Regards, Paul
Fellas,

I road a couple hundred miles in 90-94 F with 90%+ humidity last week. Yep, there is a little heat coming off the left side between my knee and main zipper. So, I rode with my left leg sticking out a little bit. I did enjoy this heat on a 60F morning a few weeks ago. There's always a little give and take. Speaking of engine heat. I was very impressed with the electric fan(s) on the radiator. My temp gauge hasn't gone above 3-4 bars in hot weather. I haven't sat in traffic very long to see it it will get hotter. Any experience?

PrairieMan
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #242
PrairieMan
PrairieMan

Quote:
I've ridden in that "dry heat" fron Tucson to Mesa mid-afternoon, when it was 113. Had a H-D Road King at the time. Stupid me!

Regards, Paul
Roadscum,

You are one tough guy riding in 113. The hottest weather I've ridden in is upper 90's with some humidity. I thought it was like riding in a furnace. That was on my '01 1150GS. Of course, it liked the ride.

PrairieMan
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #243
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieMan View Post
Roadscum,

You are one tough guy riding in 113. The hottest weather I've ridden in is upper 90's with some humidity. I thought it was like riding in a furnace. That was on my '01 1150GS. Of course, it liked the ride.

PrairieMan
On my way from NY to Sturgis and took the southern route to visit a friend in Mesa. He had warned me that it was going to be HOT and I should consider riding through the night. I thought I could handle it, my mistake. Blast furnace is a good description, I wanted to ride fast to get it over with over but the heat blast over 45 mph simply took my breath away. Result was major dehydration and burnt ear lobes from the hot air blast. This was, by far, on of my most stupid bike events...... and a dangerous learning experience.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #244
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
You are one tough guy riding in 113. The hottest weather I've ridden in is upper 90's with some humidity. I thought it was like riding in a furnace.
Did Death Valley a few weeks ago in 120F - it was totally fine. Trick was to soak the pants, shirt, neck tube, and helmet cap in water and then close all the vents in the outer layer (BMW Airflow pants, BMW Rallye Pro Jacket). The air that still came through had such a nice cooling effect, it was totally fine riding in that heat.

You absolutely don't want mesh gear if you are riding in heat above body temp.
It'll dehydrate you incredibly quick.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #245
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Did Death Valley a few weeks ago in 120F - it was totally fine. Trick was to soak the pants, shirt, neck tube, and helmet cap in water and then close all the vents in the outer layer (BMW Airflow pants, BMW Rallye Pro Jacket). The air that still came through had such a nice cooling effect, it was totally fine riding in that heat.

You absolutely don't want mesh gear if you are riding in heat above body temp.
It'll dehydrate you incredibly quick.
Agree on nixing the mesh gear. Sounds to me like you were in a boil bag!

Regards, Paul
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #246
cug
--

Quote:
Agree on nixing the mesh gear. Sounds to me like you were in a boil bag!
No, absolutely not. There is always air coming in through sleeve openings, collar, zippers and even the general fabric (as long as you don't use anything with a membrane). That is enough to cool you down through evaporation of the water you soaked a shirt with.

Give it a try: use a long sleeve shirt under a jacket, put water on one arm so that it's soaked but not dripping and go ride in the heat. As long as you're moving this arm will be cool, nearly cold. Do that in some strategic places (chest, arms, helmet cap, neck tube, thighs) and you stay very comfortable - only requirement is a little bit of airflow. Don't open too many or too large vents, as the water will evaporate too quickly.

I soaked my stuff in Furnace Creek inside Death Valley and was comfortable until Independence. Soaked my stuff again there and was good until we reached Yosemite where I was significantly cooler anyways.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #247
PrairieMan
PrairieMan

Riding in HOT weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
No, absolutely not. There is always air coming in through sleeve openings, collar, zippers and even the general fabric (as long as you don't use anything with a membrane). That is enough to cool you down through evaporation of the water you soaked a shirt with.

Give it a try: use a long sleeve shirt under a jacket, put water on one arm so that it's soaked but not dripping and go ride in the heat. As long as you're moving this arm will be cool, nearly cold. Do that in some strategic places (chest, arms, helmet cap, neck tube, thighs) and you stay very comfortable - only requirement is a little bit of airflow. Don't open too many or too large vents, as the water will evaporate too quickly.

I soaked my stuff in Furnace Creek inside Death Valley and was comfortable until Independence. Soaked my stuff again there and was good until we reached Yosemite where I was significantly cooler anyways.
Cug,

That's just plain 'ol smart.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #248
cug
--

Quote:
Cug,

That's just plain 'ol smart.
Note that it does work best in dry heat. If it's very humid you need more speed.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #249
cannonroar
n00b

Oddometer: 1
back to the topic (BMW F800 GT that is)

so my first post on my new bike, bought a month ago, now 3000 miles / 5000 km on the tacho.
First the disadvantages and for me that is the stock windshields. It causes buffeting and made my neck sore and ears almost deaf after riding 1000 miles in one shot. And I'm 6'8 / 172 cm tall. Reading different forums. it's quite common feeling so I ordered madstad aftermarket windshields and will see how it works (not delivered yet).
As far as the vibrations are concerned, like PrairieMan wrote, I felt it at the beginning, during breaking-in period, but now it's gone. Or not completely gone (more than it was in DL650) but not an issue at any speed, unless you squeeze the handlebars very strongly - that you should not do in any case.
I've not experienced any issues with heat as well, compared to my previous ZZR 1400 it's 'stone-cold'.
The ABS is too intrusive for my liking and worse than in ZZR, to end the cons. Oh, and the stock comfort seat I had installed is surely less comfy than regular v-strom seat, as the overall riding position is. But as I maintained 1000 mile / 20 hrs trip, I can't complain too much.

Now on the positives!
The engine is powerful enough to ride in the high Alps without feeling too much lose of power as compared to v-strom. The tank is small but given the fuel economy (60 mpg, 4.0 l/100km), 200 miles / 320 km tank range is easily achieved, unless riding hard. My personal best was 280 miles / 450 km on a tank.
The bikes' low COG allows for easy low-speed manouvers or flicking through the mountain curves :-).
The biggest plus of this bike is the lack of weak spots, apart from the windshield - that hopefully can be overcome with aftermarket stuff. It does everythihng well: commuting, long-distance touring at any given speed up to 110 mph / 180 kmph, mountain riding, and everything you thow at it..
By the way, I added right from the beggining an aftermarket exhaust, a carbon-fibre one from LeoVince that gives it more bass and less metallic sound and it isn't overly loud so I can recommend it.
cannonroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #250
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Trying to bump this.......

Just bought a Light White 2013 F800GT - waiting for delivery from a warehouse somewhere. I think that this is the bike I gave been looking for since I traded in my '05 GS for a RT in 2009. In the ensuing years I've had a Dorsoduro, a MG V11 Sport, and a MG California EV Touring. I am beginning to feel like frickin Goldilocks!

For some reason, I have never paid attention to F800s. I test rode a F800GS back in '09 and was not impressed and I guess that I subconsciously wrote off the entire line. Fast forward to a few weeks ago - I was looking at a R1150RS that a guy in my neighborhood was selling on Craigslist and noticed the F800S he had in his garage (that had replaced his R bike which is why he had it for sale). Checked out the belt, and how light and and slim it was. I dug through my Magazine collection and re-read (or maybe read for the first time) the review of the F800GT from the Aug 13 issue of Rider and I was convinced this was a good candidate for my Pacific Northwest weekday commuter/weekend traveler.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #251
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I went over to Sturgis,SD for a test ride on the F800GT. I like this bike very much. A fun bike for all around. This looks to be my next bike asap.
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #252
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
That is one good looking motocycle. I liked it since I saw it at the motorcycle show last Feb.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #253
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,899
It's interesting how there's no middle ground, people either hate it (or any
of the 800s) or love it, and they hate and love the same things. Some say
it's fun, like poster above, while most say that it's a slow revving and boring
bike.

Most seem to agree that the vibrations are not pleasant, I keep wondering
why BMW didn't do 270 crank, or 315 like in the Husky Nuda, that MUST
be better for vibes.

Anyways, it seems like I'd love the bike but would probably go with the
F800R, but the vibrations issue concerns me.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #254
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

Most seem to agree that the vibrations are not pleasant, I keep wondering
why BMW didn't do 270 crank, or 315 like in the Husky Nuda, that MUST
be better for vibes.
They wanted it to sound like a boxer. And it does... kinda.

I think a testride would be in order, vibes are certainly different between an f650gs and an f800r (different in quality if not quantity), and supposedly they took steps to lessen them in the f800gt (absorber in the bars, the better rubber blocks in the seat from the f800, etc). The chassis is also 2" longer which might result in a different resonant frequency - I'd testride one for sure.

In the end the vibes weren't what soured me on the f800r, the ridiculous gearing was. It sounds like that isn't a problem the f800gt has.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #255
cug
--

I tested one earlier this year and can only say I kind of liked it. Little awkward seating position for me, but that's mainly because I'm used to F800GS, R1200GS, Tiger 800.

Vibes were definitely there and might annoy me on long rides, although I didn't think they were problematic. The frequency wasn't high enough to be really bad for me. It was definitely worse than my F800GS below 5k, it was better than my F800GS above 5k - which was the point where the F became unrideable for me because it put my hands to sleep.

On the other hand, I found it ridiculous that it had more vibration than the R1200RT I rode the same day. And yes, I was very sensitive to this at that time. I owned a Tiger 800 with the sweeeeet triple engine. That engine is worlds beyond that BMW inline twin in pretty much everything but fuel consumption.