Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #10021
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
As an Englishman i never thought i'd ask this question - but how is the GSW holding up in the heat?

(We are 3 weeks into what passes as a heatwave here BTW).
I've ridden mine in 103f (39.4c) heat and it was great.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:15 AM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #10022
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
>I'm on Anakee lll's now and have 5700 miles on the bike. I live in AZ and have done one long trip through Nevada/CA/Death Valley, etc. The ties do have flat spots because I cannot avoid a lot of slab in high heat. The tires have been great and actually have a lot of life left in them. My home here in AZ is up a dirt road about a mile long so I ride "dirt" every day (easy road but dirt none the less). The Anakees do just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Why not try the new karoo 3 or Anakee wild?
I've been looking for the Anakee wilds and have not found a store that has them. I was told the Karoo 3 are a short-lived tire. Sticky, but short-lived. And they aren't cheap. I don't mind paying $200+ for the rear, but I want it to last more than a few weeks of riding.

Quote:
The Karoo 3 is on backorder where I live and the TKC-80 is expected to be seen first. Dunno about the Wild though. I could also just use Heidenaus but I am one of the Heidi doubters.
I know people that run an Anakee 2 on the rear and a TKC80 on the front of their '07 R1200GSA. They like it and they're hard on tires.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #10023
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Sweet.

Here's one for the collective.

I've ridden the GS - i'm interested in either the GSA or RT (LC) - but i'm not really all that fussed about all the bells and whistles gizmos (heated grips and a race can and i'm sorted).

Now 2 dealers i've spoken to go into tooth sucking mode when i say the above - "Oooh Sir - but all our patron's want the fitted Jacuzzi and fondue machine.."
..and then start going on about rider demographics and potential resale value.

Is it really that big a deal having all the bolt ons?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #10024
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Sweet.

Here's one for the collective.

I've ridden the GS - i'm interested in either the GSA or RT (LC) - but i'm not really all that fussed about all the bells and whistles gizmos (heated grips and a race can and i'm sorted).

Now 2 dealers i've spoken to go into tooth sucking mode when i say the above - "Oooh Sir - but all our patron's want the fitted Jacuzzi and fondue machine.."
..and then start going on about rider demographics and potential resale value.

Is it really that big a deal having all the bolt ons?
I've got a friend who didn't like the previous ESA and preferred to install Ohlins instead. But it came bundled on his GSW and he rates it really highly. The LED headlight is also worth splashing out for imo, far better than the halogen.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #10025
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Put a deposit on an inbound GSW today. Now to wait 2-3 weeks!! Ugh!! It's one of the most well designed bikes I've ever ridden. Amazing.
I assume you're getting it from Lititz? That's where I test rode one a couple months back (they were really nice), but they didn't have any bikes coming in for some time so I had to end up going to Hermy's for mine. Long ride for me (almost twice as long as it takes me to get up to Lititz), but they've been good so far.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #10026
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
The Karoo 3 is on backorder where I live and the TKC-80 is expected to be seen first. Dunno about the Wild though. I could also just use Heidenaus but I am one of the Heidi doubters.
Performance Cycle in Denver is a pretty good source for dual sport tires- You will have to remove the wheels yourself- but their prices are great and they usually maintain a good stock.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #10027
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
I assume you're getting it from Lititz? That's where I test rode one a couple months back (they were really nice), but they didn't have any bikes coming in for some time so I had to end up going to Hermy's for mine. Long ride for me (almost twice as long as it takes me to get up to Lititz), but they've been good so far.
Trans-am Cycle is about 3 miles from my house, but they didn't have any bike in stock. I've had my RT serviced there a few times, they do a good job.
Had to make the ride up to Hermy's. They are one of the best BMW shops around. Bought many bikes from them before.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #10028
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Trans-am Cycle is about 3 miles from my house, but they didn't have any bike in stock. I've had my RT serviced there a few times, they do a good job.
Had to make the ride up to Hermy's. They are one of the best BMW shops around. Bought many bikes from them before.
Hermy's rocks...I'm probably 8 miles from Trans-am. Never liked them in there...the one sales guy (who isn't there anymore) was really nice but the owner/manager dude was always grouchy and a bit rude...never felt like giving him a check for 20 grand. Hermy's is the complete opposite...plus they have gear and plenty of other rider's that like to stop by. Always a bit nice when you can shoot the breeze fellow riders on similar bikes.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #10029
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
IThe LED headlight is also worth splashing out for imo, far better than the halogen.
In the US the LED option only comes with the "premium plus" trim level. If you pick and choose your options you have to order the Dynamic package to get the LEDs... That's ASC, Riding modes, ESA, computer pro, and GPS prep.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #10030
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
In the US the LED option only comes with the "premium plus" trim level. If you pick and choose your options you have to order the Dynamic package to get the LEDs... That's ASC, Riding modes, ESA, computer pro, and GPS prep.
That all changed with the 2014 model year; apparently, as of next month, you can order each option individually. This, according to the BMW Motorrad news release regarding the 2014 R1200GS...
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #10031
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion210 View Post
That all changed with the 2014 model year; apparently, as of next month, you can order each option individually. This, according to the BMW Motorrad news release regarding the 2014 R1200GS...
Thank DOG- what happens if you delete all the add-on electrocrapola and just get a "motorcycle"?

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #10032
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Thank DOG- what happens if you delete all the add-on electrocrapola and just get a "motorcycle"?
Good question. They must have an army of lawyers preventing them from doing just that because even the basic package gets the Rain and Road riding modes as well as ABS and ASC... I think the electronics are here to stay, for better or for worse...

Centurion210 screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 11:27 PM
Centurion210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #10033
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Good run in so far

Took the bike up to the Arctic circle after the 600 mile service. So far so good! My one complaint well I have a few but the major one is the shifting. I thought my Harley clunked into gear but the BMW is giving it a run for shit shifting 1-2-3rd gears make my hairs stand up when I shift.

Starting to piss me off a bit when I think BMW I think smooth as silk not panhead slop!
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #10034
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post

Took the bike up to the Arctic circle after the 600 mile service. So far so good! My one complaint well I have a few but the major one is the shifting. I thought my Harley clunked into gear but the BMW is giving it a run for shit shifting 1-2-3rd gears make my hairs stand up when I shift.

Starting to piss me off a bit when I think BMW I think smooth as silk not panhead slop!
Apparently some owners have found the clutch master cylinder to be overfilled and reducing the amount of fluid smooths out the shifting. No idea if that will work for you, just passing on a possibility...
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #10035
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Thanks Ill take a look at that
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote