Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #4336
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
How does it sound?
Similar to stock at cruise but barks like a big dog with a twist of the wrist.
vudu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #4337
Andreja
MotherThumper

Oddometer: 36
Hmm, which oil should I use?
I'm running with Bardahl 10-50 or 10-40 I think
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #4338
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 182
It's the nature of the beast. I have two xts . An 86 and a 90, both do the same. I have even replaced the trans in the 86 and it is the same. You have to shift into neutral before you stop moving. The gears have to be rotating if the engine is running. If you turn it off it will go right into neutral. I even have new clutches in both bikes. Yes it sucks. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #4339
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 453
mine does the same

if engien stoped you have to rock the bike foward/reverse to get it in neutral
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #4340
Andreja
MotherThumper

Come on guys, there has to be a solution!

That makes me go mad when I'm riding through the city, grrrr!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #4341
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Clutch Problems

Quote:
Peeps, I have a problem with my transmission. It is the 2KF model. When I stop in second or first, I can't get it in neutral, it just gets stuck in that gear. I tightened the clutch cable but there is no big difference.
Had the same issue. New clutch didn't help. Drove me nuts! Finally figured out, as much by luck that the clutch basket was incorrectly aligned and therefore not engaging correctly. No amount of adjustment helped either. Would either slip, engage gears with difficulty or both. Would get worse as the engine warmed up.

Try removing and rotating the clutch on the mounting bolts. In one position the clutch will install a couple off mm further in. There may even be an alignment mark on the hub. Was a while ago and the memory a little hazy. Works perfect now. Hope this helps and good luck.

If you lay the bike on its side on car tyres you should manage without dropping the oil.

vudu screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 02:16 PM Reason: more info
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #4342
Andreja
MotherThumper

Thank you very much, I'll see what can I do
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #4343
xtwannabe
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question what would you pay?

I'm looking to join the ranks of happy XT600 owners. I found a listing in my area for a '92 with 16k miles:

Quote:
Great running bike with title, just serviced by mechanic and ready to ride! Starts easy, idles perfect, runs good and shifts smoothly. No smoke or carbon buildup. Has new brake pads, starter and spark plug. Just cleaned carb and went through all the electrics. Also replaced stator-side case gasket. Tires are good. Throttle cable is tired but works. Could use a rear rotor and a bath but she's ready to ride home. Also has large capacity Acerbis fuel tank and hand guards, Endurance fender bag, Supertrapp exhaust and funky custom seat cover with sparkle silver on the sides. Plastics aren't perfect.
He's asking for $1900 (USD) but I made a bid for $1700 and he's willing to take that. But since my bid, I took a look at KBB and NADA and they put the price at $1500 tops.

My question: would you pay $1700 for this bike?

Also any advice on what to look for to make sure I'm not buying a lemon? I like riding but I don't have much mechanical knowledge...

Cheers
xtwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #4344
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Depends greatly on the condition. Check everywhere for leaks, rust spots, etc...

I'm not sure of the going rate in the US. On this side of the pond, for 1300 euros (same as $1700), they are usually in average condition, and need some maintenance if you want to ride it for a long time.

Also, the Acerbis large tank itself is worth $200 if it's in good condition, $100 for the supertrapp, so equipment is something to take into consideration when comparing with KBB or other value databases. Not sure if you factored that in your estimates
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #4345
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
XT600 Rockerbox question

I have an '86 XT600 that I've pulled the rocker box off to have a look around. Everything looks pristine so it is going back together. My question to some of you GURU's is: The manual says copper washers go on 2 bolts with a W beside them in the middle of the rocker box. My bike has NEVER been apart since new and when I removed the rocker box, all bolts were eek tight when I loosed them. There were NO washers on those two middle bolts with the W next to them, however, the 2 very long bolts on the left side did have washers under them but don't look like copper. The parts diagram shows those 2 washers on the long bolts, at least one of them, but do not show anything under the middle bolts. The 2 washers they do show are NOT AVAILABLE any longer but no problem, I have the originals. Anyone shed light on this. Which bolts are part of the oil passageway?

Thanks for any assistance.

Steve
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #4346
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Center right side. If you pull the head and cylinder there is an extra gasket like a collar around it. They do not come with top end gasket sets, only whole engine sets. Doesn't make much sense to me but they didn't ask. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #4347
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
Wink new stuff

Hello all XT fans

On Wednesday, I finally finished installing and tweaked protection engine cover and a longer chain guard (aluminum - powder coating).

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #4348
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

^ Still lovin' your work Radan.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #4349
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Looks great! thumpthump