Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #1216
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
I just had to push and pull a bit, but it fits well.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #1217
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736

Got them on my 2013 as well. I will say it was not a straight forward install as it was on my last bike, but they are on there. Wolfman is trying to identify what was changed, and how much.

The Seat Concepts seat didn't fit either when they sent the first one out. After they offset the pin on the second seat, that one did. Somewhere between .250 and .375 of an inch shorter distance on this bike than the 2012.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1218
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I just had to push and pull a bit, but it fits well.
That's what she said!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #1219
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Here is my 2013 w/ Wolfman racks and bags:

I know that road! I've been on that road... where is that road??
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1220
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Hint:

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #1221
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Could that be between (and I know its a long gap) Woodland park and Salida, Co? I remember leaving Woodland park on my 690 a few years back and rendezvousing with the TAT somewhere before Salida and a road looking like that... happy memories either way!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #1222
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Nope!

Way north of Steamboat Springs on the way to Hog Park.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #1223
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Rear tail rack lifter??

just bought a rear rack for my 690, it seems to fit over the petrol cap area and has a lifting mechnisim, any seen this before and know how to fit it?
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #1224
pmsystem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Here my solution:

Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1225
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Can anyone suggest a tail bag that will fit/ mount to a Touratech rear rack securely and nicely?

I would like it to have multiple compartments, expandable, possibly a compression strap, and be able to fit Motion Pro combo tire irons/ axle wrenches, extra tube, a Slime* air pump, a basic tool kit, and room for a couple/ few bottles of water or gatorade.

I have been using my moose racing water bladder backpack, but it is cumbersome to get into, mount, and during fuel stops. ... It also busted my tail light lens when I launched the bike off of a ~3' drop the other day,

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #1226
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Here is my 2013 w/ Wolfman racks and bags:

Nice setup Yellow Pig. Soft bags rock!

For those who want hard cases, one thing to keep in mind is where you want to ride. If all you ride is pavement and wide dirt/gravel roads then you are golden. If you venture off into areas that have trees and heavy brush like sagebrush and are riding narrow tracks, single trail, sandy single and 2-track, beware that hard luggage can and will catch heavy brush and trees and launch you off the bike. BTDT many times with hard bags and fed up with it. For me offroad = softbags. YMMV.

Deciding what setup to run on my new 2013. Decisions, decisions...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1227
GravityDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
What's the consensus on a top rack that fits well with the 1st gen Wolfman side racks? Looking for something to mount a small day trip bag. Pros/cons of the Wolfman, Touratech or RallyRaid top racks??? Would like something pretty low profile but also off road worthy. Thanks!
GravityDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #1228
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Nice setup Yellow Pig. Soft bags rock!

For those who want hard cases, one thing to keep in mind is where you want to ride. If all you ride is pavement and wide dirt/gravel roads then you are golden. If you venture off into areas that have trees and heavy brush like sagebrush and are riding narrow tracks, single trail, sandy single and 2-track, beware that hard luggage can and will catch heavy brush and trees and launch you off the bike. BTDT many times with hard bags and fed up with it. For me offroad = softbags. YMMV.

Deciding what setup to run on my new 2013. Decisions, decisions...
and you run over your own foot like the first time you got on an ATV from a dirt bike!

And then worse than running over your own foot is learning bad riding habits to keep from running over your own foot after you've done it a bunch of times. My memory is so screwed up... I find myself thinking right in the midst of a hard corner with rocks, "Do I have hard bags on right now?"
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #1229
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I really like the look of these:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

I'd love to see how puncture resistant the material is. Soft bags are definitely better for riding but tough to secure. I think a lot of adventure riders do all of there riding at one point in the day and at the end of the day, secure there gear and set up camp, walk around town... whatever.

I'm always playing it by ear... ride for a bit, grab something to eat, meet someone who invites me to hear there daughter playing the violin in one of their traditional music jams or whatever and when you are in that situation, if your gear is not locked up you'll stress yourself out during the entire violin performance!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #1230
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I really like the look of these:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

I'd love to see how puncture resistant the material is. Soft bags are definitely better for riding but tough to secure. I think a lot of adventure riders do all of there riding at one point in the day and at the end of the day, secure there gear and set up camp, walk around town... whatever.

I'm always playing it by ear... ride for a bit, grab something to eat, meet someone who invites me to hear there daughter playing the violin in one of their traditional music jams or whatever and when you are in that situation, if your gear is not locked up you'll stress yourself out during the entire violin performance!
I've got those panniers and I would recommend them to anyone. Well made and capacious. I don't use the liners they supply as they are very heavy duty - for crossing rivers and stuff I suppose, I've never had any of my stuff getting wet without them even in very heavy rain. They could do with a few more loops for fixing to racks though. They come with plastic inserts to help prevent bending when they're fitted to the racks but these don't really work - I put an aluminium sheet in each and this does the trick. I use them with the Rally Raid soft pannier racks to which I lock them, velcro fastener at the top plus carabiner for added safety and a horizontal strap around the middle and through the rack. They are a permanent fixture on my bike. If I'm going on a trip I also use a couple of Pacsafe locking things

The combination of the the lining on the Magadan panniers, the Pacsafe cables, and the padlocks to the racks are about all you can really do to make your luggage secure - If a thief really wants your stuff he will get it no matter what you do. I'm happy to leave my bike parked on the street loaded with my stuff for hours. I do have an alarmed disc lock which will go off if the bike gets even touched which helps I guess.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote