Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #106
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,248
Thanks. Justgastanks.com is a great resource. Hadn't thought to look there. What about any of the old Elsinore tanks, like these? Looks about right to me. Any other/better ideas?

jesusgatos screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 12:53 PM
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #107
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
killer tank reminds me of the honda in this killer slightly hipster but pretty awesome flick... (only about 15-20 min long or so)

http://thebuildfilm.com/
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #108
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks Andre, but I'm not stoked on it. At all. Needs to be completely reworked.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #109
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
look forward to what you come up with... I love the idea of a XR of some sort with a metal tank for some reason...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #110
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,482
I don't know how I missed this thread, it was an awesome read, good work!

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #111
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks, but it's not over. Haven't even really got started yet. Think I'm going to order an Elsinore tank and see how that fits/looks.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #112
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Couldn't find any good deals on cool old tanks and wanted to get back to work on these bikes, so sent that hand-shaped tank out to have it laser-scanned. Going to create a new tank in Solidworks now. Will try to maintain a similar volume with the new tank, but think it might have to lose a little capacity in order to make it look mo'betta.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #113
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 673
Interesting tank design. Loot of work tho. I used a modified Rebel 250 tank on my 650 project. Cheap and easy. Holds 3.8 gallons after I worker the inside to fit the more narrow frame rail. You can buy them on eBay for a hundred bucks. You might consider this based on your rear metal fender design instead of going fiberglass or carbon, although a carbon application on the side of your tank would look way cool on you design as it is now.

So when are you going to finish her up?
KTM- 2014 500 EXC, 2009 690 Enduro R E BMW- 2012 GTL 1600-sweet, 2011 R1200GS Adventure Honda- 2000 XR650R- 2006 XR650L- Yamaha- 1972 XS750 Tracker, 1971 RC5- BSA- 1945 M20, 1969 BSA 441 Victor . The list goes on but why bore you... 16 and counting. Its an attachment issue.

Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #114
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Have been following your build. Looks like it's coming along nicely. Was hoping to find some tanks that I could use to throw these bikes together so we could ride them while I'm working on these tanks. But for the money and the time it would take, meh. Might as well just keep working through this. In the meantime, we've sold-off most of our other bikes to raise money for GatosBros, so we're going to put at least 1-2 of these bikes back together and take them somewhere fun this summer.

Like most of my projects, it's more about the process than the end result. Wanted to get some more experience working with composites and hand-shaped stuff. Also need to get better at working with surfacing tools in Solidworks. Going to refine the tank in Solidworks, then make molds and would like to have the tanks roto-molded. Have figured out a way to make that might make it a lot more affordable. If everything all works out like I'm hoping it will, we'll start working on developing more custom tanks for other bikes. If that doesn't pan-out, then we'll just make a few composite tanks, but I've been talking to some roto-molding shops and think we can pull this off.

Oh, and the rear fender is not going to be metal. We're just using that metal fender to shape something that we we will make out of some kind of composite layup, or maybe vacuum-formed plastic, or....
Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #115
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Was looking forward to opening this file up in Solidworks and seeing what kind of job I'd done, as far as maintaining symmetry. Spent a lot of time creating the skeleton and templates, but I'd also re-worked it so much, got to the point where I could only eyeball it. So after I imported the laser-scanned file, I mirrored it, changed the color, and adjusted the transparency of the mirrored part so I could see how the two tanks lined-up. Was pretty disappointed when I saw how far off it was, but then I realized that the two tanks were also not aligned very well. So the first thing I've got to do it create a new coordinate system to align the tanks. Watched some youtube videos that explained how to do that. Looks pretty straightforward. Isn't it crazy how you can learn just about anything online these days?

Then I'm going to insert some reference images of these motorcycles, and I'll use those to help refine the shape of the tank. This is something I've only started doing recently, but it's really neat. Here's a link to some more pictures and information about how I used images of a Jeep to design a rollcage for it, if anyone is curious about how that works.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #116
dongie
Brraaap

Oddometer: 308
Cool project. I'm currently chasing a similar dream

Started with this:

And playing around in Photoshop to see what this might look like when I'm done.

dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #117
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Just checking in, you haven't sold the scramblers have you?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #118
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Nope! We've just been super busy with other projects. Launched a new GatosBros website and released some new products. And we've also been wrangling a bunch of military trucks. Hoping to get back to these XR's soon-ish.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #119
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,050
Those Gatos Bros products are really nice...I really like the pinchy clamps. And gotta love those military rigs.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote