Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #78856
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Clarke needs to make a bigger tank for the DR650.
Not really, Acerbis and IMS make a 5 gallon, Safari makes a 8 gallon tank. Between the 4 they pretty much have every size you'd want covered.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #78857
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
The important part is 'usable' capacity. I swear that while my stock tank has about 3.5 gallons of gas in it, even on reserve I don't have access to it (though I've never tried to run it out... but after hitting reserve and heading to the gas station I'm always miffed that the tank only took 2.5 or 2.7 gallons of fuel).

This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

Just gettin ballpark numbers for a referance point.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #78858
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Not really, Acerbis and IMS make a 5 gallon, Safari makes a 8 gallon tank. Between the 4 they pretty much have every size you'd want covered.
You don't think Clarke could make an about 8 gallon tank for about half the price of a Safari if they wanted to? Maybe I'm just not understanding the space-age materials Safari tanks are made from vs. the other makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

I was seriously meaning to test just that out - i.e. when reserve would run out... but instead I mounted up my spare fuel bottle (MSR) in a place that I don't want to have to mess with it unless I have to.

Maybe someone else lives in a part of the country where they won't get run right over if and when they run out of fuel while testing, but now that I think about it... south Florida probably isn't the place to go playing around like that.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #78859
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

Oddometer: 243
Highway miles I can get about 105 before hitting reserve, then without tipping the bike to get every last drop I hit 31 miles before she dies. Like I said that is highway miles with speeds 65-75. Same here with hitting reserve then only puting in 2.5 Gal.
yourdrunkdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #78860
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #78861
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
You don't think Clarke could make an about 8 gallon tank for about half the price of a Safari if they wanted to?
In the past they certainly could have. These days they can't even fix their aging molds that have problems or cosmetic blemishes. They are perpetually running 4+ weeks behind and think that kind of lag time is OK.

I've talked to the folks at Clarke about filling the sweet spot between the IMS and Safari with a 6.5 tank for the DR. The only response I've had was "yeah, we hear that a lot".
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #78862
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
In the past they certainly could have. These days they can't even fix their aging molds that have problems or cosmetic blemishes. They are perpetually running 4+ weeks behind and think that kind of lag time is OK.

I've talked to the folks at Clarke about filling the sweet spot between the IMS and Safari with a 6.5 tank for the DR. The only response I've had was "yeah, we hear that a lot".
Wow.

I may order an Acerbis from you guys in a month or two then.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #78863
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
That's a good video explanation and belongs in Krusty's Index.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=636395&page=5

I decided to do the fix but my connectors were small pins and I didn't have anything to make a good jumper with so I cut/soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked it all away. Just rode it hard on pavement and dirt and couldn't get the cutting out symptoms to reappear so I think that must have been it
Thanks for the suggestions, DR runs so good and with one of those crappy old BST carbs opened up.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #78864
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTA View Post
Has anyone ever fitted a different gas tank to the dr650. I don't really like the dorky metal tank and I really don't like the look of the over sized tanks. I'm wondering if its possible to mount a mx style tank like a drz tank or something, I like the look of the fairings and I think it would look great.
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #78865
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I know the ID for the fuel line is 5/16"

Anyone know the ID of the vacuum line?

Thanks in advance.
OD measures: (not the barbs)
.218"
7/32"
5.5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Doesn't the beer make the bread soggy?

Quote:
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #78866
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
The important part is 'usable' capacity. I swear that while my stock tank has about 3.5 gallons of gas in it, even on reserve I don't have access to it (though I've never tried to run it out... but after hitting reserve and heading to the gas station I'm always miffed that the tank only took 2.5 or 2.7 gallons of fuel).
That is typical of many fuel tanks on various bikes. Always a certain amount of fuel you cannot use.

To know for sure ...pull the petcock out and measure how much fuel is left inside. It's been so many years since I had the stock tank on ... I'm not sure what the range is on stock tank. Range also can be dependent on your individual bike, jetting, riding style, altitude, terrain.

On 100% stock DR650 I recall only going about 130 miles until reserve ... then only about 10 or 15 more miles on reserve (???). I'm sure some will go more or less.

Try this trick when you run out: Lay the bike over on it's left side and slosh some of that fuel over to the petcock. Good for a few more miles. You can do this maybe 5 or 6 times and go a few miles each time.

On my IMS tank, after Reserve was depleted, there was still 2 liters in the tank. (I drained it and measured it) After cleaning the Petcock filters my reserve range went from 15 miles ... to 32 miles. (measured)

With everything clean and running well I now have close to 250 mile range
(including reserve) on the IMS tank. YMMV of course!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #78867
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Quick question, whats the true actual capacity of the stock DR fuel tank ?

And, what a real world distance you can get outta reserve if you ride gentle trying to milk the most MPG outta the reserve portion ?
I always run til reserve (light traffic). I've frequently ridden 35 miles on reserve (with a knot in my tummy ) I never had trouble with fuel remaining in the right tank lobe, I don't know why. I did the run til empty test with a spare gallon on board: I got 39 miles on reserve, milking the mileage. This was on pavement and I didn't have to tip the bike to get the last of fuel across the hump. fwiw: this has me

For reference, 90% of the time I get to 160 before hitting reserve. Disclaimer: I ride at 6000+ feet and am jetted accordingly.

So, to answer the question, my stock DR tank holds very close to 3.4 gallons. The Kalif bikes are advertised at 3.2 gallons.

Luckily I had the camera along when I did this. No coasting but light throttle. Also on pavement, nothing to jiggle the fuel over the hump.

It's been said that this can't be done, but I have pics.

Note odometer:

Quote:
DRF Post#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I decided to do the fix but my connectors were small pins and I didn't have anything to make a good jumper with so I cut/soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked it all away.
Just rode it hard on pavement and dirt and couldn't get the cutting out symptoms to reappear so I think that must have been it.
8gv:
Could you add a note to your post about this in the Index, please. Then guys won't freak out if they find pins instead of blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.

Well, there is that.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 01:15 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #78868
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:

I'd want more than ball park figures if you ever ride any where off the beaten path. When you get your bike on the road .. ride until reserve, NOTE MILEAGE, Zero out ODO.

Now strap a little 2 gallon gas jug on your bike and ride until reserve runs out. NOTE MILEAGE.
Now, just add minimal amount of fuel to get to gas station. Fill up, note how much it takes minus amount added from fuel jug. From that you can figure MPG (mas o menos)

If you ZERO your ODO at every fill up ... then you will know how far you can go until reserve and at fill ups you can calculate your MPG. And using the method above, you'll know reserve distance as well. With a stock tank, this, IMO, is a must do thing.

When riding the Suzuki DR650 press bike (all stock) I ran the damn thing out of gas 3 times! It won't go far if you hammer it, that much is for sure.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #78869
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
DRF Post#3

Lots of time and miles under the bridge eh?
I'd love to hear a long range report on your Terra experience after a season or two of riding. And of course ... you'd be The Man to do a point by point comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

I'm seriously shopping this bike ... but feeling pressure as I fear they will ALL be gone very soon. For good? Man, hope not. I've only done a brief test ride. Good in every way. Only question for me is how good a long range travel bike would it be? Like RTW. And really, how tough a bike is it?
Anyway, any comments would be interesting once you have some feedback.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #78870
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

The one point I can't get past is the weight difference. Like 50+ pounds heavier for the Husq.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote