ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #78856
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
That's a good video explanation and belongs in Krusty's Index.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=636395&page=5

I decided to do the fix but my connectors were small pins and I didn't have anything to make a good jumper with so I cut/soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked it all away. Just rode it hard on pavement and dirt and couldn't get the cutting out symptoms to reappear so I think that must have been it
Thanks for the suggestions, DR runs so good and with one of those crappy old BST carbs opened up.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #78857
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTA View Post
Has anyone ever fitted a different gas tank to the dr650. I don't really like the dorky metal tank and I really don't like the look of the over sized tanks. I'm wondering if its possible to mount a mx style tank like a drz tank or something, I like the look of the fairings and I think it would look great.
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #78858
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I know the ID for the fuel line is 5/16"

Anyone know the ID of the vacuum line?

Thanks in advance.
OD measures: (not the barbs)
.218"
7/32"
5.5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Doesn't the beer make the bread soggy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

__________________
2004 DR650: 62,605 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #78859
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The important part is 'usable' capacity. I swear that while my stock tank has about 3.5 gallons of gas in it, even on reserve I don't have access to it (though I've never tried to run it out... but after hitting reserve and heading to the gas station I'm always miffed that the tank only took 2.5 or 2.7 gallons of fuel).
That is typical of many fuel tanks on various bikes. Always a certain amount of fuel you cannot use.

To know for sure ...pull the petcock out and measure how much fuel is left inside. It's been so many years since I had the stock tank on ... I'm not sure what the range is on stock tank. Range also can be dependent on your individual bike, jetting, riding style, altitude, terrain.

On 100% stock DR650 I recall only going about 130 miles until reserve ... then only about 10 or 15 more miles on reserve (???). I'm sure some will go more or less.

Try this trick when you run out: Lay the bike over on it's left side and slosh some of that fuel over to the petcock. Good for a few more miles. You can do this maybe 5 or 6 times and go a few miles each time.

On my IMS tank, after Reserve was depleted, there was still 2 liters in the tank. (I drained it and measured it) After cleaning the Petcock filters my reserve range went from 15 miles ... to 32 miles. (measured)

With everything clean and running well I now have close to 250 mile range
(including reserve) on the IMS tank. YMMV of course!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #78860
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Quick question, whats the true actual capacity of the stock DR fuel tank ?

And, what a real world distance you can get outta reserve if you ride gentle trying to milk the most MPG outta the reserve portion ?
I always run til reserve (light traffic). I've frequently ridden 35 miles on reserve (with a knot in my tummy ) I never had trouble with fuel remaining in the right tank lobe, I don't know why. I did the run til empty test with a spare gallon on board: I got 39 miles on reserve, milking the mileage. This was on pavement and I didn't have to tip the bike to get the last of fuel across the hump. fwiw: this has me

For reference, 90% of the time I get to 160 before hitting reserve. Disclaimer: I ride at 6000+ feet and am jetted accordingly.

So, to answer the question, my stock DR tank holds very close to 3.4 gallons. The Kalif bikes are advertised at 3.2 gallons.

Luckily I had the camera along when I did this. No coasting but light throttle. Also on pavement, nothing to jiggle the fuel over the hump.

It's been said that this can't be done, but I have pics.



Note odometer:



Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.



Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I decided to do the fix but my connectors were small pins and I didn't have anything to make a good jumper with so I cut/soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked it all away.
Just rode it hard on pavement and dirt and couldn't get the cutting out symptoms to reappear so I think that must have been it.
8gv:
Could you add a note to your post about this in the Index, please. Then guys won't freak out if they find pins instead of blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.

Well, there is that.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,605 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 12:15 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #78861
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

Just gettin ballpark numbers for a referance point.
I'd want more than ball park figures if you ever ride any where off the beaten path. When you get your bike on the road .. ride until reserve, NOTE MILEAGE, Zero out ODO.

Now strap a little 2 gallon gas jug on your bike and ride until reserve runs out. NOTE MILEAGE.
Now, just add minimal amount of fuel to get to gas station. Fill up, note how much it takes minus amount added from fuel jug. From that you can figure MPG (mas o menos)

If you ZERO your ODO at every fill up ... then you will know how far you can go until reserve and at fill ups you can calculate your MPG. And using the method above, you'll know reserve distance as well. With a stock tank, this, IMO, is a must do thing.

When riding the Suzuki DR650 press bike (all stock) I ran the damn thing out of gas 3 times! It won't go far if you hammer it, that much is for sure.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #78862
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

Lots of time and miles under the bridge eh?
I'd love to hear a long range report on your Terra experience after a season or two of riding. And of course ... you'd be The Man to do a point by point comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

I'm seriously shopping this bike ... but feeling pressure as I fear they will ALL be gone very soon. For good? Man, hope not. I've only done a brief test ride. Good in every way. Only question for me is how good a long range travel bike would it be? Like RTW. And really, how tough a bike is it?
Anyway, any comments would be interesting once you have some feedback.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #78863
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

The one point I can't get past is the weight difference. Like 50+ pounds heavier for the Husq.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #78864
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,621
Sargent. No welts



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #78865
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
NOW you guys post this... one day after me ordering my first Sargeant, and with specific colored 'piping' (or welt).

Is it really that noticeable?!
No worries. Mine has a welt- I never notice it at all.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #78866
thump!
Adventurer
 
thump!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'd want more than ball park figures if you ever ride any where off the beaten path. When you get your bike on the road .. ride until reserve, NOTE MILEAGE, Zero out ODO.

Now strap a little 2 gallon gas jug on your bike and ride until reserve runs out. NOTE MILEAGE.
Now, just add minimal amount of fuel to get to gas station. Fill up, note how much it takes minus amount added from fuel jug. From that you can figure MPG (mas o menos)

If you ZERO your ODO at every fill up ... then you will know how far you can go until reserve and at fill ups you can calculate your MPG. And using the method above, you'll know reserve distance as well. With a stock tank, this, IMO, is a must do thing.

When riding the Suzuki DR650 press bike (all stock) I ran the damn thing out of gas 3 times! It won't go far if you hammer it, that much is for sure.
Range varies substantially with the type of riding. Riding hard I get low 50's mpg (US). OTOH, light usage delivers high 50's. Based on a 4.5 gallon fillup, that can be a 30-50 mile difference. That can be important in some places. There are places on the TAT where there is no gas available for close to 200 miles. I never count on more than 50mpg. More than that is a bonus.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #78867
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Range varies substantially with the type of riding. Riding hard I get low 50's mpg (US). OTOH, light usage delivers high 50's. Based on a 4.5 gallon fillup, that can be a 30-50 mile difference. That can be important in some places. There are places on the TAT where there is no gas available for close to 200 miles. I never count on more than 50mpg. More than that is a bonus.
Denio Junction to Lakeview Ore the longest at 225 if I remember right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #78868
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.
Yeah.............
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #78869
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Magnum Noel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

Just gettin ballpark numbers for a referance point.
Ok mine hits about 190klms before reserve and I have carried on to 260klms. That was driving very carfully. I must admit getting a bit worried until I reached the servo.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #78870
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
For reference, 90% of the time I get to 160 before hitting reserve.
Mother of God...

I hit 95 miles, or 102 to - at the most one time - 107 before hitting reserve.

Jetted accordingly for 11 feet above sea level (I think, and the bike and plugs seem to agree).
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015