ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #4561
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Don't ask him about his trip. We are boycotting trip info due to him not inviting any of us.

I guess l better invite everyone to my trip to Death Valley next April. LOL!!!! :)

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #4562
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Left hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
We need way more pictures and a story
You left us hanging
No worries. Full RR coming once I get caught up a little at work and home.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #4563
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
3 wks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdrvr66 View Post
Just wondering....Was three weeks enough time? Planning a trip up there next June....and that was our time frame....Love to see more pics and a ride report.
I would say three weeks is fine, but tight. We made it easier by trailering the bikes to Great Falls MT. This allowed us to make the IA to MT run straight through overnight going both ways, trading out drivers every couple hours. Probably saved us two days going out and maybe three days coming home. The weather was so bad coming home from Great Falls (60mph cross winds, driving rain, and golf ball sized hail) that I don't think we could have ridden through it and both of us are very comfortable riding in bad weather. While there are certainly some interesting spots between here and MT, both of us have been through the MN/SD/ND area many many times hunting so we weren't missing anything we hadn't already seen, and that area is notorious for bad weather.

We only really had a couple 500+ mile days, but we were also lucky with weather and suffered no mechanical issues. I had intentionally planned some slack into the route, like places where we could take a short cut, if we needed to make up time and days where we only planned a couple hundred miles. We also had enough slack that if we had to stop for a mechanical break down it wouldn't put us too far behind. The only real issue we had was that we planned to ride the ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert. Including that meant that we HAD to be in Skagway on a given day so that took away a little of our flexibility.

Flexibility is key. We had planned to ride the Forestry Trunk Road on the way up, but all the flooding around Calgary made that impossible. Even on the way home there were still too many washouts and closed bridges to make that possible. So we had to re-plan on the fly and having a plan ahead of time of what we wanted to see made that easier.

We made it a point to break camp and get on the road early every morning. We typically woke up around 5, broke camp and hit the road, and got a couple hundred miles in before breakfast. That way we got more riding time in early in the day - typically before it got hot and before the afternoon rains - and gave ourselves more time in the afternoon for "I wonder what's down this road?" type of exploration. Typically we'd buy sandwiches, and drinks for lunch when we stopped for breakfast. That gave us great flexibility in where/when we stopped for lunch. Most days we just stopped somewhere that looked cool, or headed off up an interesting road to eat lunch, and it saved significant time looking for/getting lunch somewhere.

The long daylight in the Yukon, NWT, and AK gives you lots of time to ride late if you want. On our biggest day, 660 miles riding the South Canol Road, we were on the bikes till almost midnight. It was cool, but we were both stupid tired by the time we got into the camp ground that night. Not something I'd plan to do every day.

Taking the ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert was a nice break for two days, and you get to see some cool stuff on the Inside Passage but it's a very inefficient way to cover ground. After the space and solitude of the areas we'd ridden in the Yukon and the NWT all the tourist towns the ferry stops in were not very appealing to me. In Skagway there were 4 cruise ships in port, in Ketchikan there were two. When you add 15K people to a town of 800 (Skagway) it really changes things.

We had prioritized what we wanted to do as follows: ride the Forestry Trunk Road; ride the Dempster; ride the Top of the World Highway before it is completely paved; ride the South Canol Road, and ride to Telegraph Creek. So there were some other things we either passed on, or didn't spend much time on (like seeing the town of Banff - which is a cool town, but a major tourist destination).

So my bottom line would be that while 3 wks is tight, if you prioritize what you want to see/ride, plan some slack in your schedule and remain flexible it'll be fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

VO
Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #4564
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Don't ask him about his trip. We are boycotting trip info due to him not inviting any of us.

You shut up Ryan haha ya big baby!
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #4565
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdrvr66 View Post
Just wondering....Was three weeks enough time? Planning a trip up there next June....and that was our time frame....Love to see more pics and a ride report.
That's a lot of miles on the 450.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #4566
ZLTFUL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
You shut up Ryan haha ya big baby!
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #4567
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Any plans/ideas for another ADV meet up like what you guys did at Hickory Park a while back? I was not able to make that one sadly.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #4568
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
Any plans/ideas for another ADV meet up like what you guys did at Hickory Park a while back? I was not able to make that one sadly.
We were talking about another Dragoon run, but then it got wet, and then it got hot.

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #4569
ZLTFUL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Had one of the local DUcati club guys ask if we were doing something like that soon...
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #4570
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

We should work on getting something together!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #4571
MotoProf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Iowa City/Cedar Rapids?

Anyone in the Iowa City/Cedar rapids area riding dual sports? I found a few good trails/B-level roads around Iowa River and Amana Colonies I want to explore more, but not by myself - I'm on a F800GS and that sucker is heavy to lift out of the sand and mud!
MotoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #4572
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckwheels View Post
Anyone in the Iowa City/Cedar rapids area riding dual sports? I found a few good trails/B-level roads around Iowa River and Amana Colonies I want to explore more, but not by myself - I'm on a F800GS and that sucker is heavy to lift out of the sand and mud!

LOL try a KTM 990!!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #4573
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footprint View Post
LOL try a KTM 990!!
Or a 950:

Let me know when you want to go!
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #4574
MotoProf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey Orangecicle,

I think we met at the GRGR in May...I remember checking out your clever job on the Pelicans - bicycle skewers, right?

Let me know if you're interested in riding my way...we can do the trail I've been too chicken to do by myself and a couple of nice dirt roads around the wetland reserve here.
MotoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #4575
DaveofIowa
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Redneck,

I am in Cedar Rapids, wouldn't mind going for a ride down that way.
When are you thinking?
DaveofIowa is offline   Reply With Quote