ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #361
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
from my time estimate we are looking at 206.5 miles total including transits and 8 hours and 15 minutes time for the first bike to arrive back at Park Ferme in Talihina.

I would like this to be from those who have a vested interest in the OAT.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #362
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
the maps are free to download, but i'm not sure staging a race on public roadways is a good thing to do. Do with it what you want.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #363
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
the maps are free to download, but i'm not sure staging a race on public roadways is a good thing to do. Do with it what you want.
Please re read the post, it is not a race. Going over the speed limit deducts points.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #364
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 536
It's similar to bracket racing at a drag strip. It's NOT who is fastest, it's who is more precise.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #365
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Osage County

Did about 30 miles of the OAT yesterday, pretty much by accident. I was just out exploring, and knew I was in the area where it passed through, but wasn't sure exactly and didn't have the OAT tracks loaded to know for sure.

I picked up the OAT on the NE end of Keystone Lake, on county road 1401 I guess, and followed the exact same path all the way to Barnsdall.

There were a few muddy sections after the morning rains, but didn't really have any issues with them, and I didn't have my knobbies on.

Here's a couple pics from along the way:

The campground at Bull Creek on Skiatook Lake would make for nice camping, if someone is looking for a place to camp along that stretch.

Birch Lake, near Barnsdall, has camping with facilities as well (and also a swimming area there, if you want to cool off a bit).

And while in Barnsdall, make sure you take a left on the main street (hwy 11) and check out Jack's Place. It's within sight of where you need to turn right to stay on the track.

Happy Riding!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #366
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Here is my very good friend Dennis Boone hitting this speed bump at a buck and some change on a long straight.
Something ironic about the "Be Safe" sign posted on the fence as he is flying past three feet in the air and supersonic...

I can't imagine the skill (or the nerve) necessary to ride that way. Impressive.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #367
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
Something ironic about the "Be Safe" sign posted on the fence as he is flying past three feet in the air and supersonic...

I can't imagine the skill (or the nerve) necessary to ride that way. Impressive.
Idaho, Utah and Nevada are to off road riding like Hawaii is to surfing. I struggled to maintain a mediocre standing next to the likes of David Kamo and many of the riders in the Boise area. I watched many a local legend and pro rider from the Midwest and Eastern states reduced to tears during the Idaho City 100 ISDE qualifier. Some years there is a 50% attrition rate during this event. This would be great discussion some time but probably not here. Most folks image of their riding ability and reality seem lofty some times, kind of like fish stories and BS.
Interestingly, the top riders know exactly what their abilities are.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #368
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post

Happy Riding!
Great pictures, I always wondered how the small front wheel was on hard packed dirt? It is very cool looking.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #369
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Great pictures, I always wondered how the small front wheel was on hard packed dirt? It is very cool looking.
Thanks mars. As strange as it might sound, I actually prefer this set of wheels on gravel/dirt roads over my D606s on the "R" wheels (21" front/18" rear). It just seems like the knobbies are a lot more squirrelly - at least on gravel. Of course the smaller ones don't do well in the mud, but I manage as long as its not too deep. I can't say that I notice much of a difference in the ride either other than these being smoother and quieter on pavement.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #370
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Got bored and played with a sticker idea.
Attached Images

OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #371
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 652
I'm in

I like your sticker idea! I'll buy one or two when you get them done.

I've been following this thread since it started. Hats off, many thanks and MAJOR kudos to OKlr and Dadayama for coming up with this! And also to all the rest of you guys that have ridden the trail and made it a reality.

I ride pretty regular down in SE OK with a couple of really good riding buddies that know that area like the back of their hands. If there is something that could be added, like a hero section or go-around, I'll be sure to chime in. There are a couple of really nice lookouts that may be big bike friendly that I have in mind that are just east of Heavener. There is also some single track that a big bike could do without much difficulty that would really add some flavor. McKinley Rock near Clayton is really cool, but not big bike friendly at all, and it may be to far out of the way.

I ride a plated a 525 EXC and a Dakar, but I'll be doing the loop on the beemer, and I'm pretty stoked to make the trip. My Dakar has Yamaha forks and a Wilbers shock, so it will do better that a stock 650, but it's still a very heavy pig off-road.

I'm going to ride as much as I can this coming weekend. Planning to pull out on Thursday afternoon and ride clockwise through the weekend and just see where I end up. I'm gonna start east of Guthrie on Hwy 33. I'd like to make it all the way around to the South I-35 crossover, but I doubt I can make that happen. Seems like the SE quarter is the longest?
durtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #372
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 652
Oops

I meant to say where the trail comes close to Hwy 33 east of Coyle before it turns north.

Also, I may have a suggestion that would be a really cool attraction for the NE quarter, but I need to ask permission first. It would be a really neat addition if we could get it.

Last thing.... Does anyone know the mileage for each quarter? I'm going to be looking at the average speed along with the stops figured in to get a grasp of how long each section might take. Might be useful if the Rally ever comes into play.

durtrider screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 11:40 AM
durtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #373
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider View Post
I meant to say where the trail comes close to Hwy 33 east of Coyle before it turns north.

Also, I may have a suggestion that would be a really cool attraction for the NE quarter, but I need to ask permission first. It would be a really neat addition if we could get it.

Last thing.... Does anyone know the mileage for each quarter? I'm going to be looking at the average speed along with the stops figured in to get a grasp of how long each section might take. Might be useful if the Rally ever comes into play.
From I-35/Perry to Vinita, where we spent the night, was 275 miles. Vinita to Heavener was 250. The current route in the SE is different now, so my numbers won't be exact, but we did 220 from Heavener to Valliant and 190 from Valliant to Madill. I'm not sure what the mileage from Madill to I-35 is, but it's not much.

I don't have access to Basecamp right now to give you exact miles, but that's our on the ground mileage for what we rode (on pretty much stock Dakars by the way).

Have fun and report back!
kiltedcrawford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #374
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider View Post

After riding that area that you're in I would say 30 miles an hour average and 39 to 49 if you want to ride in anger or nose down. I would say 49 mph rolling average may be the limiting velocity.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #375
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
From I-35/Perry to Vinita, where we spent the night, was 275 miles. Vinita to Heavener was 250. The current route in the SE is different now, so my numbers won't be exact, but we did 220 from Heavener to Valliant and 190 from Valliant to Madill. I'm not sure what the mileage from Madill to I-35 is, but it's not much.

I don't have access to Basecamp right now to give you exact miles, but that's our on the ground mileage for what we rode (on pretty much stock Dakars by the way).

Have fun and report back!
How was the weather? Did you ride the k trail?