User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Hit a moose!

It was a bright sunny July 4th, early afternoon, about 30 miles south of Delta Junction Alaska on the Alaska Highway. Wide open straight 2 lane road with no traffic. Cruising south at the speed limit of 65 mph when a very large and fast moose comes bolting out of the thick trees on the right side of the highway. Hit it right in the belly which was about the height of my headlight. It's left rear leg caught my front wheel, dragging it to the left, causing the bike to fall on the right side and end up in the oncoming lane. I slid and tumbled down the pavement after bouncing off the moose belly. The moose was no where to be found after the crash but it did leave several big clumps of fur laying beside the road.

No serious injuries to me. Scraped both knees, bruised right foot, bruised right shoulder, bruised ribs. I was wearing leather high top boots, jeans, nylon waterproof jacket over fleece jacket, jeans, fleece gloves. Crawling in and out of my little tent was painful for the next few days.

The bike is an 81 Honda Silverwing Interstate that I bought for $500 last fall. It has a Windjammer fairing and stock Honda luggage. The fairing was broken up, mounting bracket bent, windshield in small pieces, gas tank dented. Speedo crushed, right side luggage scraped, right header pipe scraped. Otherwise bike was pretty much undamaged and I rode it home to Oregon after taping the fairing together with Gorilla tape and making a new windshield from an old Goldwing windshield.

I always assumed that moose were big slow moving animals like cows, but now I know they can move very fast! Unless the forest is cut way back from the road you have little chance to slow down when one runs out of the woods into your path.

Here are a few pics of the damage. Note the moose fur stuck in the cracks in the fairing.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,494
Yikes! Sorry to hear but very glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed and were able to ride home.

A few of us have hit moose up here on a motorbike including me. Here's my story:

I hit one on my ol '82 BMW R100S on a dark Fall night up in the foothills behind Anchorage a number of years ago. A warm Chinook wind had blown into town and I decided to go for a late night ride. I went down the Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage then came back taking the long way home by going up into the foothills behind town.

It was after midnight and no traffic so I was clipping along at a pretty good rate northbound on Abbott Rd. As I crested a rise a moose came running out from behind some bushes and crossed right in front of me from right to left. I knew we were going to hit so as I was applying both brakes I turned my head slightly to the left preparing for impact.

My body laid up against her chest from helmet down. The glancing blow knocked the bike into the oncoming lane before coming to a stop. And I DIDN'T crash! Amazing. And the moose didn't seem to be injured either. I'm glad the Beemer's cylinder jug didn't catch her leg. I'm also glad I'd just gotten a jacket with dual density armor as my shoulder was still very sore for days afterward. My right foot was also very sore from getting slammed against the engine.

And how far DID the bike impact into the moose? Far enough to leave some moose hair stuck right smack in the center of my now cracked fairing! My right mirror was also torn off as was the horn off the right side frame cradle. But thankfully no injuries to me or the moose. I now jokingly say that I "counted coop" with a moose. I then rode home VERY thankful it wasn't any worse and totally amazed that I didn't crashed!

I had the bike till sadly I totalled it a few years ago. I've said it a few times before, hard to believe I used to think I was pretty "sporty" on that ol baby.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Yeouch!

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yikes! Sorry to hear but very glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed and were able to ride home.

A few of us have hit moose up here on a motorbike including me. Here's my story:

I hit one on my ol '82 BMW R100S on a dark Fall night up in the foothills behind Anchorage a number of years ago. A warm Chinook wind had blown into town and I decided to go for a late night ride. I went down the Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage then came back taking the long way home by going up into the foothills behind town.

It was after midnight and no traffic so I was clipping along at a pretty good rate northbound on Abbott Rd. As I crested a rise a moose came running out from behind some bushes and crossed right in front of me from right to left. I knew we were going to hit so as I was applying both brakes I turned my head slightly to the left preparing for impact.

My body laid up against her chest from helmet down. The glancing blow knocked the bike into the oncoming lane before coming to a stop. And I DIDN'T crash! Amazing. And the moose didn't seem to be injured either. I'm glad the Beemer's cylinder jug didn't catch her leg. I'm also glad I'd just gotten a jacket with dual density armor as my shoulder was still very sore for days afterward. My right foot was also very sore from getting slammed against the engine.

And how far DID the bike impact into the moose? Far enough to leave some moose hair stuck right smack in the center of my now cracked fairing! My right mirror was also torn off as was the horn off the right side frame cradle. But thankfully no injuries to me or the moose. I now jokingly say that I "counted coop" with a moose. I then rode home VERY thankful it wasn't any worse and totally amazed that I didn't crashed!

I had the bike till sadly I totalled it a few years ago. I've said it a few times before, hard to believe I used to think I was pretty "sporty" on that ol baby.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.

MOOSE !

Man, both you guys are lucky ! I allways feared moose, for that matter elk and mule deer are no picnic either.

Having a run in with a angry mom moose and a calf once while stuck on a packed snowmobile trail in bottomless powder in Idaho, taught me to fear and respect moose. They can be one bad ass, mean, and surprisingly fast animal when they want.

You watch them loafing in a swamp eating vegetation, and they seem big and sluggish. But, piss one off and its almost like a rodeo bull !

Glad you guys got away with full impact and no hospital stays !
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 335
you are one tough sob..

Glad you are oK..
I wonder if moose file trip reports? Or if he had to explain to the missus about the missing fur?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
supernewf71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I know a guy who smoked a moose in nfld on a interceptor 750 and the most damage done was to his knuckles and the front of bike. He hit square on to its belly and doing about 120klms and hour , we all thought he had his head ripped off but it was moose blood all over him
supernewf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,855
I always ride with my front brake covered anyplace which may be questionable for Anything jumping out in front of me, or in town, so nearly all the time.

Good you made it, you are very lucky as you know.
TheBlurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
Is ground Moose meat as good as they say?

Glad you is okay
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
I'm glad you were able to walk away and continue the ride.
Only the part about cows being slow moving isn't alaways true either. I farm and have always been around cows. And I've chased them with trucks, horses and motorcycles. They're usually calm and slow moving, but, I've been run over by them and seen the jump and clear fences.
I've had a lot of friends through the years come out and help me work on them. Almost always someone comments, I thougfht they were slow, I didn't know they could run or I didn't know they could jump !
Hard to beleive until you see it.
Oh, yeah. a ride report would be nice if no other reason than the unusual choice of bike.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Moose

Hows the moose? Did you get to keep it?
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
It was a bright sunny July 4th, early afternoon, about 30 miles south of Delta Junction Alaska on the Alaska Highway. Wide open straight 2 lane road with no traffic. Cruising south at the speed limit of 65 mph when a very large and fast moose comes bolting out of the thick trees on the right side of the highway. Hit it right in the belly which was about the height of my headlight. It's left rear leg caught my front wheel, dragging it to the left, causing the bike to fall on the right side and end up in the oncoming lane. I slid and tumbled down the pavement after bouncing off the moose belly. The moose was no where to be found after the crash but it did leave several big clumps of fur laying beside the road.

No serious injuries to me. Scraped both knees, bruised right foot, bruised right shoulder, bruised ribs. I was wearing leather high top boots, jeans, nylon waterproof jacket over fleece jacket, jeans, fleece gloves. Crawling in and out of my little tent was painful for the next few days.

The bike is an 81 Honda Silverwing Interstate that I bought for $500 last fall. It has a Windjammer fairing and stock Honda luggage. The fairing was broken up, mounting bracket bent, windshield in small pieces, gas tank dented. Speedo crushed, right side luggage scraped, right header pipe scraped. Otherwise bike was pretty much undamaged and I rode it home to Oregon after taping the fairing together with Gorilla tape and making a new windshield from an old Goldwing windshield.

I always assumed that moose were big slow moving animals like cows, but now I know they can move very fast! Unless the forest is cut way back from the road you have little chance to slow down when one runs out of the woods into your path.

Here are a few pics of the damage. Note the moose fur stuck in the cracks in the fairing.

Uh...cows ain't slow. not buy a long shot. i narrowly escaped a similar encouter with a young heifer. 'cept i saaw he coming. and she saw me. i think she was just messin' with me when she decided to charge me from the right. i just held steady and braced myself for the impact when at the last possible second she veared hard right and ran beside me at least 40mph. i could reached out and pat her she was that close. i swear she had a grin on her face to. second time that day i had change my britches.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
I may post a ride report in the future.

The reason for the unusual choice of bike it because it was cheap and capable of making the trip. Only problems along the way except for the moose were a leaking front engine cover gasket which I fixed by making a new gasket, and a failed aftermarket regulator which I replaced with a used OEM unit. A 9000 mile trip is no big deal for a GL500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Oh, yeah. a ride report would be nice if no other reason than the unusual choice of bike.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote