User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
love my braces

I bought a pair of Asterisk Ultra Cells months ago and had a really hard time getting myself to wear them due to the difference in shifting and braking and the overall strange feel of my leg being bound up from thigh to toes .
After straining an ACL while the braces sat in the trailer I forced myself to wear them no matter what and I did to the point of wearing a hole in the back of my knee on a long 40-50 mile of single track . I picked up some EVS WEBs to let the hole heal as the straps are different .
I ran up to SC 2 weeks ago for the Longcane ride ( was awesome by the way ) and I'll be damned if a 5-6 " pine didn't jump in the trail while I was honkin along prob 25-35 mph and took out my left knee and my pipe (KTM 300) and sent me down the trail solo for a few feet or more .
I was wearing the WEBS and knew I just took a really hard hit that might end my day at 20 miles into a 98 mile run .....I shook it off and motored on and had a great time all the while keeping my knee moving before it got stiff and to swollen to ride . It looked bad when I finally got in and checked it out and hoped nothing was seriously screwed

( the next morning pic )
]

A little tender still but good to go today , my pipe was molded into the starter and frame and didn't make it but thanks to myself and quality gear I ride on , there is no doubt had I opted to go without I would be recovering from a major problem .

I do think I would have been better wearing the Ultra Cells as the patella cup rides on a shin and thigh plate and the Webs cup is floating but it did it's job spreading the impact over a larger area .

Wear the gear !
headednw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Knee braces saved my (riding) life

In '82 I tore my ACL riding mx. After some scope work, I was good to go. But it was easily injured after that. I went road racing for a few years with success, but I really missed off road. I ran into an old friend who was working as a factory mechanic and he had access to a nearly new set of braces for short money. Best money I EVER spent. I have learned to always wear them.

They don't feel that bad when I'm wearing them, but boy do they feel great when I take them off.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,855
I will not ride in the dirt without my EVS WEBS, nor my Leatt brace. And of course all the rest of the "normal" stuff.

The "Webs" are great braces, a little bulky, but I love 'em.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I do think the Ultra Cells might offer better lateral support , and I say this because with them I have not had a shock to my strained acl , with the Webs I have had a couple or 3 times that I took notice of but it could be just the right motion at the right time kinda thing and have nothing to do with the braces at all .
To me the Webs are or feel slimmer than the Ultras and are more comfortable of course the Ultras gnawing at the back of my knee don't help .
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
I have a pair of the EVS braces with the aluminum hinges on the side.. not as beefy as the full-fledged braces you wear. I normally leave them in the truck and choose to wear just knee pads for comfort. Three weekends ago I sort of randomly decided to put the braces on and they saved me from ACL/MCL damage during my crash. I broke my Tibia Plateau, and the Doc said that he has never seen a similar incident where there wasnt damage to some of the soft tissue in the knee as well. I just bought a set of the full blow EVS Web braces for future riding,, ,they may be uncomfortable.. but at my age things heal slowly and have lifelong repercussions.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
i have a pair of the evs braces with the aluminum hinges on the side.. Not as beefy as the full-fledged braces you wear. I normally leave them in the truck and choose to wear just knee pads for comfort. Three weekends ago i sort of randomly decided to put the braces on and they saved me from acl/mcl damage during my crash. I broke my tibia plateau, and the doc said that he has never seen a similar incident where there wasnt damage to some of the soft tissue in the knee as well. I just bought a set of the full blow evs web braces for future riding,, ,they may be uncomfortable.. But at my age things heal slowly and have lifelong repercussions.

ouch!

Cw
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,028
what do you guys wear under the evs web braces? problem i'm finding is those straps are uncomfortable but i don't want to wear too thick a leg sock as it gets so hot in a sub-tropical climate, even in winter when dirt riding.

in summer i just wear knee guards, ride a bit slower and keep the fingers crossed....
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

EVS and FOX make socks that go all the way up to your nuts, and the tops are pretty thin material. These things make it so you can wear the braces all day without any bother at all! GET 'EM!

Chris
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
EVS and FOX make socks that go all the way up to your nuts, and the tops are pretty thin material. These things make it so you can wear the braces all day without any bother at all! GET 'EM!

Chris
Yep , That and I wear the brace socks that came with the asteriks they are thigh high and damn sexy I might add
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by headednw View Post
Yep , That and I wear the brace socks that came with the asteriks they are thigh high and damn sexy I might add
something like this?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
something like this?

We're waiting.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 972
I wear the following from Troy Lee

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/5212-02

They breath well, elimante chaffing from the need braces and even help with monkey butt !

I have Ultra Cell's and hardley know they are on.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote