Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Sheesh, did you collide with a viking spear?

I wear motocross boots everywhere, even for street rides...I look like a tool but they're comfortable and I feel safe in them. They provide good shin protection and they're plastic so thorns and things don't snag on them. Saves me the trouble of putting on separate shin guards. Currently on the lookout for a set of easy to use kneepads that won't interfere with my MX boots.
I'm starting to go in this direction of wearing plastic toed and leather upper, really tall Acerbis mx boots all the time as well. I went for a hike in them and that fully broke them (me) in. I can say that they have saved me from a twisted ankle/broken tib-fib. I planted my foot in a grass covered hole and had the bike fall over on me. Avoided some broken toes from hidden grass covered rocks too. If you have big enough pant legs, or some old bell bottoms from the 70's they fit over the boot, and there are some not bad looking black mx boots out there.

WVDIRTRIDER, you say MX boots wouldn't have made any difference, did this massive punji stick rip through your boot upper leather as well?
4" below your knee sounds almost like where most tall boots end, and knee pads start. That area is almost a proverbial Achille's heel.
Here's to a speedy and complete recovery
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
wvdirtbiker OP
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 211
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I'm starting to go in this direction of wearing plastic toed and leather upper, really tall Acerbis mx boots all the time as well. I went for a hike in them and that fully broke them (me) in. I can say that they have saved me from a twisted ankle/broken tib-fib. I planted my foot in a grass covered hole and had the bike fall over on me. Avoided some broken toes from hidden grass covered rocks too. If you have big enough pant legs, or some old bell bottoms from the 70's they fit over the boot, and there are some not bad looking black mx boots out there.

WVDIRTRIDER, you say MX boots wouldn't have made any difference, did this massive punji stick rip through your boot upper leather as well?
4" below your knee sounds almost like where most tall boots end, and knee pads start. That area is almost a proverbial Achille's heel.
Here's to a speedy and complete recovery

Thanks woofer, the point of impact was about 4" below the knee but it pushed my leg and foot backward so the cut ran down my leg and into my boot. It's possible the boot caused the stick to break, but that's something I'll never know for sure.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Hey man, thanks for the wright up.
Glad that you are healing up well.
On the trails & FSR's I always use the gear i have, shin/knee pads, boots & upper armor.
.......but they always make a smarter obstacle

!!

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
things in common

Thanks for sharing this WV. I don't read face plants to seed my mind or exaggerate caution. It just helps me keep my perspective in balance and appreciate how much I've survived or oft times simply been lucky. A healthy, working body is a wonderful thing.

I can't begin to catalog all the strange accidents and injuries I've witnessed over the years, a few of them mine. I once spent several hours waiting in an ER with a somewhat similar wound because the heart attack and eye puncture patients had priority, and I was fine with that. But I hear what you're saying. Strange things happen and it's best we do what we can to minimize the consequences.

I just picked up some nice knee protection and you re-enforced my quest to keep refining my gear. Thanks again for posting, and speedy, thorough healing to you. I hope you're already walking on it, or soon.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Freshorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi, sorry for your injury. I have the same knee/shin guards as in your picture. They fit perfectly inside my moto x boots. I had the same issue with mx boots at first. Just couldn't wear em, didn't think I could shift, feel the pegs etc. Felt like moon boots. I happened to watch a youtube vid on breaking in mx boots and it made a hugh difference. He basically spent 10 minutes flexing the ankle forward and backwards and flexed the toe section a bunch of times. It works, I wear them all the time now.
Freshorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
wvdirtbiker OP
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 211
Back in the Saddle Again

Here I am about six weeks post injury and have been walking for almost three weeks. I am walking with no limp whatsoever even though there is still some swelling in the ankle. The doctor thinks the continued swelling is from arthritis and not the injury.
The up movement of the toes is slightly limited but does not hinder walking or riding. It's possible that may never be 100% with the extent of the muscle damage.

I am also riding again with no complications.

It's great to be back on the bike and I have several rides planned for the rest of the season.

Hope to see you on the backroads of WV and VA!
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
nice healing

Glad to see you're on the mend. Nothing more to do than keep walking and riding, and stay away from sticks!
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #23
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
WVDIRTBIKER, glad you're on the mend!
If you're going to wear knee/shin guards, you should really go to the next step and get a really good pair of knee braces instead. EVS WEB'S are great, as are ASTERISK'S. The WEB'S give LOTS of protection to the thigh area also. I've been wearing them for about 6 years now and will not ride in the dirt without them.
Oh, and I'm more then a little jealous of the area you have to ride in!

Ride On!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wow

That was one nasty gash! Glad you are back in the saddle again.
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote