Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #196
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,327
Add 1330 to your phone contacts. You can call it anywhere in Korea and get translation help, directions, store hours, train schedules, whatever.

Oh, and get with me once your bike is here.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #197
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
Ride Reports

If you have written up any of your rides here on the forum, please put a link in this thread. I'd like to see where you've been. I've written up a few in Day Trippin' of easy one day rides from Seoul with a bit of off road.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910173
docjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #198
SR1
In Western NC

Your rides look very much like mine do, except that I don't take enough pics for a ride report. I sent you a PM.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #199
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Ok, my bike arrived Saturday, I registered it yesterday, and rode it to work yesterday and today. I've got to say that it is so much nicer riding the 1.5 miles to work through Daegu than it is driving in my little hoopdie car. I've already started cutting through traffic and taking off down any alley that looks like it goes in the generally right direction.

So from what I understand this weekend is not a good weekend to go out and explore the countryside. So I think I'll ride my bicycle this weekend, but next weekend I might be up for a little exploratory riding, if anyone in the Daegu area is up for it. I put OSM on my Zumo, so I have a decent mapping program now.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #200
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Ok, my bike arrived Saturday, I registered it yesterday, and rode it to work yesterday and today. I've got to say that it is so much nicer riding the 1.5 miles to work through Daegu than it is driving in my little hoopdie car. I've already started cutting through traffic and taking off down any alley that looks like it goes in the generally right direction.

So from what I understand this weekend is not a good weekend to go out and explore the countryside. So I think I'll ride my bicycle this weekend, but next weekend I might be up for a little exploratory riding, if anyone in the Daegu area is up for it. I put OSM on my Zumo, so I have a decent mapping program now.
Chusok - the harvest holiday.

Have fun!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #201
Squelch
Everyday People

I'm glad Koreans (or at least the ones that live in my apartment complex) are either honest or ignorant. I rode my bike home from work Tuesday and parked in the parking garage, but drove the car on Wednesday. Late last night I was looking for all the stuff I'd need for work today, and couldn't find my bike key.

It was sitting in the ignition. For 30 hours or so.

Apparently everyone is either straight as an arrow and wouldn't think about stealing my nice new BMW or they just had no idea that the key is in the ignition. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd done that when I live in Atlanta or Newburgh, NY.

I'm going to tie a bright piece of orange cloth to it from now on, so I notice it when I get off the bike. Of course, if I do forget it, the orange cloth will draw thieves' eyes to the key...
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #202
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
I'm glad Koreans (or at least the ones that live in my apartment complex) are either honest or ignorant. I rode my bike home from work Tuesday and parked in the parking garage, but drove the car on Wednesday. Late last night I was looking for all the stuff I'd need for work today, and couldn't find my bike key.

It was sitting in the ignition. For 30 hours or so.

Apparently everyone is either straight as an arrow and wouldn't think about stealing my nice new BMW or they just had no idea that the key is in the ignition. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd done that when I live in Atlanta or Newburgh, NY.

I'm going to tie a bright piece of orange cloth to it from now on, so I notice it when I get off the bike. Of course, if I do forget it, the orange cloth will draw thieves' eyes to the key...
I've done that in NYC a couple of times without it ending badly. OTOH on at least one occasion the VFR's alarm sent a van full of potential thieves scurrying. And one of my VFRs disappeared from my garage in the middle of winter, disc lock left lying on the garage floor in two pieces. Timing and luck.

As for honesty, it seems to come in flavors.

My mother in law speaks of there being crime and insists on fugly razor wire -topped fences around the building but you never actually hear of anything substantial happening. Only problem we ever have is anarchy -type bullshit like neighbors deciding our parking lot is a free-for-all, walking their dogs on our yard (which requires trespassing our driveway and lot!) or dumping garbage (the idiots left identifying papers - haha), or other basic trespass kind of crap. We had one moron who would walk up our driveway, smoke a few cigs in the lot, leave his butts where he stood or toss 'em in our planters then head off to work. WTF. No boundaries with these folks.

When confronting these people about their behavior they are almost always indignant. But I doubt any of them would ever consider actual theft, etc.

So when you see even modest properties bordered with tall concrete walls and motorized gates, now you know why.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #203
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 309
Squelch, how did you end up getting your bike to Korea? As I recall, you couldn't get the gov't to approve moving it in your Household Goods shipment.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #204
Squelch
Everyday People

I shipped it myself through Suddath. It cost quite a bit, but it is totally worth it to have it here for a couple of years.

I'd still like to strangle the little paper-pusher at the Fort Leavenworth transportation office who wouldn't let it go with my HHG.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #205
SR1
In Western NC

Glad you got it here. I'm recovering from a broken collarbone but should be able to ride later in the year if the weather holds.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #206
Squelch
Everyday People

SR1 - Good deal - heal up quickly! I broke my collarbone playing football about 25 years ago, and had to wear a strange figure-8 brace that made it look like I was walking around puffing my chest out. I hope medicine has advanced since then...

I went out exploring a bit this weekend. I've been riding my bicycle a bunch too, so I've spent quite a bit of time on two wheels over the past week.

I found Route 902, out of Daegu, to be a pretty decent road. I'm going to wait until I have a fellow rider to start getting too far off the beaten path, but eventually I'd like to try to find some spots where the Pusan Perimeter was.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #207
SR1
In Western NC

Did you join the Facebook group ROK Riders yet? There are some riders in your area.

If you want a Korea GPS (Garmin) in English let me know, I can help you get one (no discounts, but I have done it, so I know how, that's all)...

There's an F1 race near Gwanju on the 6th, some of us might ride/drive there, if you'd want to try to make that.

PM me.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #208
Squelch
Everyday People

I haven't joined ROK Riders yet, (I don't think) but I will do that soon.

I already loaded Open Street Maps on my Zumo, and it seems to work pretty well so far. It knew the best route to get through the city to my apartment, although it took me about a block out of the way one time.

I'd be up for a ride to Gwanju, and was actually thinking of trying to ride out there anyway. It would be much better to be with a group though.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #209
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Did you join the Facebook group ROK Riders yet? There are some riders in your area.

If you want a Korea GPS (Garmin) in English let me know, I can help you get one (no discounts, but I have done it, so I know how, that's all)...

There's an F1 race near Gwanju on the 6th, some of us might ride/drive there, if you'd want to try to make that.

PM me.
Oh cool, I had no idea about the F1 track...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_I...tional_Circuit

If you have written instructions for the Garmin, I can host them on one of my web sites. If you want.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #210
SR1
In Western NC

I don't think I have that level of data yet. Maybe over the weekend.