ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #30151
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,105
So now I have several semi-built carbon rimmed wheels floating around the garage.

Spokes too short is the common complaint. ...except that last wheel where I tried the spokes from the next rim size shallower. They're too long. I *think* that may be the only rim set that has the right ERD.



I gotta find someone to cut some spokes without buying em from that shop. Wish me luck!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #30152
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,314
Tour de France

OK, so once again I missed the whole thing because I don't subscribe to any cable sports channels.

Will it be available for purchase on DVD?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #30153
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
OK, so once again I missed the whole thing because I don't subscribe to any cable sports channels.

Will it be available for purchase on DVD?
Probably.

You can also go here and watch the recaps for each stage:

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#summary
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #30154
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer
 
patsymack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 321
http:// photo ms.jpg
Gotta tell someone finished my two longest rides to date this weekend.I rode the Keystone MS150 78 miles sat. 75 sun. avg speed 12.9 not including stops.Stops were every 15 miles or so with a lunch stop riders were treated well and lots of food and drinks available.
Got my first road bike a cannondale caad10 3 in may 2012.before that I road railtrails 8-10 miles a ride but not consistently.Once I got the road bike I started riding with a club doing beginer and low C rides of 20-25 miles.My longest was a 60 mile solo last summer.Lately I've been riding club rides 3 times aweek 20 miles or so and once or twice a month a 40-45 miler.
I think I have about 3k onthe caad.
I'm 64 and retired I still get passed by flat bar bikes and heavy younger guys
But I'm enjoying my new hobby.
Thanks for reading
Later Pat
http:// photo ms150.jpg
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #30155
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,135


Cycling is a whole life activity. Welcome to the addiction.

My first MS150 was in Colorado. We rode from South of Denver to the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canyon City. First day was a century that included the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs. We stopped that evening at Colorado College Football field. It was the year I got out of engineering school having ridden about 300 miles total for the year due to 18 hours of class, working full and part time and looking for a job. I nearly died attacking the first day like I was a teen and actually had some miles in me. Got two leg massages that evening that made it work, but the final climb to the bridge nearly did me.
The next two I was ready for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
http://
Gotta tell someone finished my two longest rides to date this weekend.I rode the Keystone MS150 78 miles sat. 75 sun. avg speed 12.9 not including stops.Stops were every 15 miles or so with a lunch stop riders were treated well and lots of food and drinks available.
Got my first road bike a cannondale caad10 3 in may 2012.before that I road railtrails 8-10 miles a ride but not consistently.Once I got the road bike I started riding with a club doing beginer and low C rides of 20-25 miles.My longest was a 60 mile solo last summer.Lately I've been riding club rides 3 times aweek 20 miles or so and once or twice a month a 40-45 miler.
I think I have about 3k onthe caad.
I'm 64 and retired I still get passed by flat bar bikes and heavy younger guys
But I'm enjoying my new hobby.
Thanks for reading
Later Pat
http://
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #30156
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer
 
patsymack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post


Cycling is a whole life activity. Welcome to the addiction.

My first MS150 was in Colorado. We rode from South of Denver to the Royal Gorge Bridge in Canyon City. First day was a century that included the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs. We stopped that evening at Colorado College Football field. It was the year I got out of engineering school having ridden about 300 miles total for the year due to 18 hours of class, working full and part time and looking for a job. I nearly died attacking the first day like I was a teen and actually had some miles in me. Got two leg massages that evening that made it work, but the final climb to the bridge nearly did me.
The next two I was ready for.
Mr Head,
The two days took its toll I did nothing on monday and I mean nothing hardly got out of the easy chair.Tues. I did a 20 mile easy spin on the rail trail and my legs weree feeling pretty good.Tonight i'm going for a C club ride and may do some light climbing.Actually it's a clydesdale ride which I just qualify for beer drinking after.
Funny how things that never cramped or hurt before or bothered me before
start hurting on the second day
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #30157
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Ordered the cassette today...will be able to try it for the weekend. I had no options as he said Shimano only made one 30T rear. I am going to lose a few ratios,and will only have 1 gear greater than 27- Looks like I'll learn to climb with a 26 or spin my ass off!!
With 9sp and a steel freehub body you can use solo cassettes. So you could get a 30t cog (from Harris Cyclery) and remove one of the other cogs. This won't work on 10sp because the large cog is cantilevered over the hub.... you'd need a cog which had the right offset and no one makes them (Cycle Dynamics did make them from Ti but they stopped).

Shifting with the swapped cog will be slightly worse, but only a little.

You can also try fitting a 33t small ring, which you can also get from Harris. It's just a little lower, about 3%.

IRD makes some 9sp cassettes with larger cogs.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #30158
TheBlurr
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
Mountain biker here

Love it, its an absolutely amazing experience to ride places where I never thought possible, the look on peoples faces who are on OHV when you come huffing up a hill, first shock, then shame

got a Raleigh 29r talus hardtail to be my quick run trail bike and run errands ride, now I donot want to ride my KHS all mountain 26r FS anymore, the egros of the 29r ruined me!!

Looks like the 26r is going down the road.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #30159
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
At least you're smart enough NOT to climb Brasstown Bald.
What?! Was hoping you'd be my climbing partner, someday.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #30160
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,135
Drink a lot of water, a lot. LIke a gallon.

Get used to drinking lots of water. Cramps be gone.

That fixes most of it.

Next, learn to do a self leg massage. You will be amazed what that deos for your legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
Mr Head,
The two days took its toll I did nothing on monday and I mean nothing hardly got out of the easy chair.Tues. I did a 20 mile easy spin on the rail trail and my legs weree feeling pretty good.Tonight i'm going for a C club ride and may do some light climbing.Actually it's a clydesdale ride which I just qualify for beer drinking after.
Funny how things that never cramped or hurt before or bothered me before
start hurting on the second day
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #30161
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,679
Heading out for Coburn, PA tonight. I'll be racing the Wilderness101 this Saturday. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to grab a beer with any of you hooligans if you're nearby... or on the way. Not going 95 this time. Taking 81 through VA, West B.G. Va to PA.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #30162
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,105
Knock em dead, Killer!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #30163
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,589
Go get 'em ridge!
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #30164
kbasa
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,370
Go, Ridge!
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #30165
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,105
Success!

First wheel is built. I guesstimated at ERD from the manf. +10mm. Ended up 2mm short. So next up: get spokes cut based on the #s I got from spocalc +2mm.



24mm tubular front is a go. Next up: the back, the 44mm rear clinchera, set of 38mm tubulars, THEN find a 20h front hub that goes with the D/A 7700 rear for the clincher set.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014