User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
pilot3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Pics no longer open in Tapatalk

So I usually check threads at work and at night (iPhone 5) and up until a few weeks ago, whenever I clicked a photo, it would open within Tapatalk. If there were multiple photos, I could scroll through them. Then I would click the Back button and I was right back in the thread.

Now, almost everytime I click a photo, Tapatalk closes and Safari opens to the posters Photobucket page to display the picture. The resolution is awful, you have to load each successive photo separately and when done, you need to kick out of Safari and open Tapatalk again.

I'm using an iPhone 5 and I will say most of the photos are hosted on Photobucket. Did something happen somewhere so that these services aren't playing in the sandbox nicely anymore?
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,278
Sounds like you've designated Safari to be the default for all media types, or the software thinks that because you did something once, you want to do it all the time.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
pilot3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Sounds like you've designated Safari to be the default for all media types, or the software thinks that because you did something once, you want to do it all the time.
Um, it's an iPhone. Safari is it. Plus I've had Tapatalk on this iPhone and my last one without this issue up until a few weeks ago.

Bugger!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Um, it's an iPhone. Safari is it.
False.

It's more of a problem with how a poster posts their pics rather than a problem with this site or tapatalk.. These 3 pictures, for example, will all open in smugmug.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Same with my i-gadgets if the pic starts to open in Safari, I don't even bother to look at them.
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,278
Sounds like Apple's decided what's best.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
pilot3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Resolved -

I found what is causing the issue and just a heads up to future photo posters. It is not Apple nor the browser. When in Photobucket (what I have been using but will not be anymore), one would click on the IMG button to get the link to paste into the post. It used to look like this, albeit this is much abridged:

HTML Code:
[IMG]http://YOUR PHOTO'S IMG CODE.jpg[/IMG]
When you copy that link into your thread, the picture appears like it always has. Well Photobucket, and other photo hosting sites, now make the link look like this, adding the URL routing code in front of the IMG code:

HTML Code:
[URL=http://PHOTO URL LINK DATA.jpg.html][IMG]http://YOUR PHOTO IMG'S CODE.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
If you view the photo on a computer, they look and open no differently than you've ever seen before. If you try to view them on a mobile device, and also through Tapatalk, the URL included link immediately directs you to the photo hosting site to view it. With Photobucket lately, you are randomly first forced into watching a F@#$%^& advertisement before the photo opens. Additionally, the photo quality is shit and if there are multiple photos, you may or may not be able to scroll through them. I also found that some photo hosting sites take you to their login page requiring you to have an account in order to open the photos.

Here is an example I posted up. Looking at it on the computer, the images are identical. View it in Tapatalk and image 1 takes you to the Photobucket site while image 2 opens in Tapatalk.

Look at post #4632 on page 309.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=test

Solution, delete everything but the portion that begins [IMG] and ends [IMG]. Then the photos open directly on the mobile or in Tapatalk. I'm moving off Photobucket since this added step is a PITA and seeing where I can go that does not add the URL code to the IMG link. I am also not one to be forced into the advertising. Wondering if Smugmug does this???

Take it for what it's worth to you.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Photobucket sucks for Ipad viewing.
Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
pilot3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Photobucket sucks for Ipad viewing.
So basically Photobucket sucks. I'm with ya!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Imgur seems much better for viewing on an Ipad. A few recent posts using it were fine. Photobucket still sucks.

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: