Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #30181
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Success!

First wheel is built. I guesstimated at ERD from the manf. +10mm. Ended up 2mm short. So next up: get spokes cut based on the #s I got from spocalc +2mm.
You can make some measuring tools from two old (but straight) spokes. I cut mine so they are 250mm long to make the math easier.
Thread on nipples until the end of the spoke is flush with the bottom of the slot. Loktite 'em on.
ericm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #30182
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Purchased a new road bike (cannondale supersix evo red) about a week ago. Aside from a 40-mile ride on Sunday, I've only been using it for my daily commute (10 miles round trip). So, right about 100 miles or so.

Tuesday, I'm riding home and in the homestretch is a small incline. I am riding in my highest gear (i.e. big chain ring and smallest cog on my cassette), and push it over into the third cog on the rear cassette for the "hill." Still in my big chain ring. I pedal another block or so before I notice a guy up ahead that I want to try and catch, so I stand up on the pedals to sprint. As soon as I put some pressure on the pedals, "pop" the chain comes off the big chain ring to the inside (towards the frame) and over the handlebars I go.

What did I do wrong?

Again, its a brand new bike. I did NOT switch gears while standing on the pedals (made that mistake before). I've been riding for over 30 years (never competitively) and this has never happened before. The bike has some rash on the brake levers and the seat but is otherwise fine (I, on the other hand, have a broken collarbone and some road rash). Took it back to the shop to have it looked at and they cant find anything wrong.

Thoughts? As you can imagine, I would like to avoid this happening again.
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #30183
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post

Purchased a new road bike (cannondale supersix evo red) about a week ago. Aside from a 40-mile ride on Sunday, I've only been using it for my daily commute (10 miles round trip). So, right about 100 miles or so.

Tuesday, I'm riding home and in the homestretch is a small incline. I am riding in my highest gear (i.e. big chain ring and smallest cog on my cassette), and push it over into the third cog on the rear cassette for the "hill." Still in my big chain ring. I pedal another block or so before I notice a guy up ahead that I want to try and catch, so I stand up on the pedals to sprint. As soon as I put some pressure on the pedals, "pop" the chain comes off the big chain ring to the inside (towards the frame) and over the handlebars I go.

What did I do wrong?

Again, its a brand new bike. I did NOT switch gears while standing on the pedals (made that mistake before). I've been riding for over 30 years (never competitively) and this has never happened before. The bike has some rash on the brake levers and the seat but is otherwise fine (I, on the other hand, have a broken collarbone and some road rash). Took it back to the shop to have it looked at and they cant find anything wrong.

I'm not sure If your chain ended up on the BB shell, but if it did, take a look at this...I haven't crashed, but have thrown the chain... http://www.rei.com/product/670913/th...9-001b2166c2c0

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #30184
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:

What did I do wrong?

How heavy are you?

My first guess is you torqued the frame/BB hard enough to cause a mis-shift in the front. Ask Mr Head about the old Vitus/Alan frames... They were notorious for that.

After that: slightly loose BB or bearings migrating around in the shell.

Otherwise?

HTH

M
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #30185
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

6'3" and about 195 or so.

Guy at the shop tried to replicate it but couldnt. Cable stretch maybe?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #30186
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
....The usual method of building wheels back then was to go to the pro-shop, (real bicycle shop run by an old European ex-racer) who would hand you the hubs you desired, rims spokes and nipples, then berate you for screwing it up a few days later when you came back with the rear wheel laced backwards.
But, then patiently demonstrate how to re-lace it correctly and send you on your way.
Then every time you walked in to buy some tubes, tires or just hang out, he'd ask if you broke those wheels yet..
Geez, you knew Spence of Cupertino Cyclery, too? I was a customer of his after he'd "retired" and then reopened a shop by the same name in Pacific Grove, out by Asilomar in the fog zone.

I probably should have kept my last pair of tubular rims he'd tied and soldered for me. vintage NR hubs and all. those rims were light, strong, and fast.

pierce screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 12:09 AM
pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #30187
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
soyanarchisto- bummer about the collarbone.

Is this an Sram bike? Could you have hit the shift paddle by accident as you stood? Sram takes very little lever travel to shift from the big ring to the small ring and the strong derailleur spring makes it happen fast when you trip it. I have had it shift all by itself but only in an extremely bumpy race (Copperoppolis for you NCNCA denizens). Not in normal riding.

If the derailleur was out of adjustment from cable stretch you'd hear the chain rubbing on it. The rub would be worst in the smallest cog.

My Vitus 979 would rub the chain on the derailleur but did not ghost shift even though it's a large frame.
ericm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #30188
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,589
yep; that's me now, too,...

i've been through radially-spoked 24 Rolfs (harsh), and all the way down to 28 GEL280s (brilliantly smooth with Contis) and been able to make them all last fine. but the way i descend on my favorite (read: crappy) roads i just feel more at ease with something like my nice set of (lightly spoked) 3x 32 Open Pros these days.
even the stuff i beat on on my CX/Fire Road bike is 32, though they're on a 135mm OLD rear axle and are either an asymmetric rear rim, or 2x on the non-drive side. (keep in mind that like so many of us, i'm not the featherweight that i once was, and i was 'GS'sized to start with...)

divide the (low) mileage i get in these days over all the bikes and multiple wheelsets that i do it on, factor in the quality of the the parts and builds, and it seems like the dang stuff lasts so long when done right to start with i never remember what i've learned about building wheels. considering that i don't do any building often enough to stay in good enough practice, these days, were i to need wheels, i'd get them from one of the skilled and well-practiced pro wheelbuilders around here.

cheers!

Quote:
90% of my riding is on 32/32 wheels. I have one set of 28/32 wheels I ride lots too. My opinon for training is 'more spokes is more better.' Durability, ease of repair, and durability all count more than aero or even weight **for training.** Yes, I typed durability twice on purpose. I have wheelsets older than some of the people I ride with!

M

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #30189
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
soyanarchisto- bummer about the collarbone.

Is this an Sram bike? Could you have hit the shift paddle by accident as you stood? Sram takes very little lever travel to shift from the big ring to the small ring and the strong derailleur spring makes it happen fast when you trip it. I have had it shift all by itself but only in an extremely bumpy race (Copperoppolis for you NCNCA denizens). Not in normal riding.

If the derailleur was out of adjustment from cable stretch you'd hear the chain rubbing on it. The rub would be worst in the smallest cog.

My Vitus 979 would rub the chain on the derailleur but did not ghost shift even though it's a large frame.
It is SRAM but I had earbuds in so didn't hear shit until my head hit the pavement.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #30190
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

one of the questions I've been pondering

M
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #30191
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Personally, I care less about the doping as much as I do how Armstrong was a complete c**t to anyone who challenged him on it. He ruined lives and for that I hope he rots in hell.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #30192
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Personally, I care less about the doping as much as I do how Armstrong was a complete c**t to anyone who challenged him on it. He ruined lives and for that I hope he rots in hell.
That I can get behind. The doping thing? They were all doing it. Some more than others. Some better than others (more $$). When the govt said they were investigating LA, I figured he'd had to have pissed in someone's Wheaties to get em *that* mad at him.

How LA gets hammered but other guys out there that did the same thing don't is From the 84 Olympics (blood doping which was legal at the time. Unethical, but legal) to just a few years ago 'they all did that.' The 98 Tour positives are coming out and lots of people's livelihoods are now gone. At what point do you say 'enough!' ??

The Secret Pro has something to say about that...

Look at the performances from this years Tour. AC wasn't shooting up the mountains. Neither was Cuddles. Hollywood? (aka Voekler) At the back of the pack the whole time. Gilbert had a quiet Tour... There's questions gotta be asked but no one's asking em.

M
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #30193
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 303
Quote:

As soon as I put some pressure on the pedals, "pop" the chain comes off the big chain ring to the inside (towards the frame) and over the handlebars I go.

What did I do wrong?
SRAM front derailluers do that at times.

I suspect it has to do with the trimming, when you shift to the big ring, you may want to trim the shifter to move the chain a tiny bit outwards again.

Has happened to me similar situation (SRAM Rival, slight incline, put down power, pop - but without the endo and bone rearrangement)

Seen two more of such with friends that ride SRAM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #30194
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
That I can get behind. The doping thing? They were all doing it. Some more than others. Some better than others (more $$). When the govt said they were investigating LA, I figured he'd had to have pissed in someone's Wheaties to get em *that* mad at him.

How LA gets hammered but other guys out there that did the same thing don't is From the 84 Olympics (blood doping which was legal at the time. Unethical, but legal) to just a few years ago 'they all did that.' The 98 Tour positives are coming out and lots of people's livelihoods are now gone. At what point do you say 'enough!' ??

The Secret Pro has something to say about that...

Look at the performances from this years Tour. AC wasn't shooting up the mountains. Neither was Cuddles. Hollywood? (aka Voekler) At the back of the pack the whole time. Gilbert had a quiet Tour... There's questions gotta be asked but no one's asking em.

M
Don't get me wrong, I don't condone ANY of it and just because 'they all did it' still doesn't make it right. What gets me is how Armstrong acted against others who questioned him (and what the Armstrong apologists conveniently forget). He literally ruined lives and I detest him for that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #30195
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
+1
I need to build, (probably buy) a set of 32/32 for this Roubaix.
Quote:
90% of my riding is on 32/32 wheels. I have one set of 28/32 wheels I ride lots too. My opinon for training is 'more spokes is more better.' Durability, ease of repair, and durability all count more than aero or even weight **for training.** Yes, I typed durability twice on purpose. I have wheelsets older than some of the people I ride with!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: