Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #121
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I've only just discovered this thread but thanks very much for posting it. It's absolutely beautiful and riveting.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #122
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
We have lubrication filters on the fuel input so we can run JET A1 fuel which is pretty much Kero.
Could you explain what this means to a petrochemically challenged fan?
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #123
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Could you explain what this means to a petrochemically challenged fan?
Jet fuels have a much lower freeze temp than diesel fuels but they are similar so it can be run in diesel engines...the down side of jet A1 and kero is they have no lubricant value which would lead to premature injector/fuel pump wear/failure.
So I assume travelingaustralian means they are adding lube additives to the fuel.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #124
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Jet fuels have a much lower freeze temp than diesel fuels but they are similar so it can be run in diesel engines...the down side of jet A1 and kero is they have no lubricant value which would lead to premature injector/fuel pump wear/failure.
So I assume travelingaustralian means they are adding lube additives to the fuel.
Ferals hit the nail on the head. The filter that we use is placed before the fuel pumps and as the Jet A1 is sucked through the filter the fuel is then given lubricating properties. With out this lubrications injectors and high pressure common rail pumps would just wear out.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #125
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Ice Bergs, Penguins and Davis Station

When I arrived in Antarctica in November (2012) Davis Station looked a whole lot different than it does right now (July) From our living area we could see open ocean and an array of animals and icebergs. Once the sea ice formed everything picked up and left.
Here are some pictures from when I arrived.

The Aurora Australis class A ice breaker. Owned by P&O and used for resupplying all 3 Australian bases here in Antarctica.

Davis Station from about 2km's off shore. This was my first glimpse of my home for the next 12 months

At the early stages we were able to get out in IRB's amongst the Ice bergs and wild life.

Sometimes they would come and have a look at us.

This Iceberg reminds me of a sleeping Dragon.

Over summer the weather is just incredible!! No wind and the bluest of blue water!!

The next 2 pictures were taken from the Aurora Australis way out at sea. The Ice berg would have been over 200m high. The first picture is the far left corner of the next picture. This gives you an idea just how big they can get. It would have been maybe 2Km's long?

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #126
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
This thread is amazing, thank you for posting it and keeping it up!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #127
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #128
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Rally Raid Evo2 fairing and tanks

Well had 2 good bits of news today. First up I have been given the all clear to go back to full duties after I hurt my back just over 2 weeks ago. This is good news, because it means Ill still be able to fly to Mawson station for the summer season. I needed to be given the all clear or I would have been heading back to Australia straight from here.
Second bit of good news was my second order from rally raid has turned up at my parents place. I ordered the Evo2 fairing and tanks from John at Rally Raid UK. I have also ordered a heap of other gear for the build up of my RTW bike. I called John today to ask about the new tractive 300mm shock. I am looking at increasing the travel to 300mm all round. I asked how they were going with the development of the front rods and springs. He is testing the new front suspension next month at one of the rallies in North Africa, so looking forward to his feed back. I think after I get the suspension Ill have everything I need to build my RTW KTM 690r. Everything that has given the 690 trouble will be fixed up for this trip.
Well thats all for now I think I'm ready for a

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #129
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Just discovered this thread. It is amazing, keep it up!
12Bong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #130
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Imagine if we were able to travel back in time 100 years and speak to Mawson in Antarctica and tell him that people from all over the world would be speaking to another young aussie just 100 years into the future via the magic of the interwebs. AND while he was there the said young aussie would be buying parts for his motorcycle so that he could could build it up to spec on his return for a RTW trip?!?!?!?!?!? I say he wouldn't believe it.

Dougie MAWSON

Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #131
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Imagine if we were able to travel back in time 100 years and speak to Mawson in Antarctica and tell him that people from all over the world would be speaking to another young aussie just 100 years into the future via the magic of the interwebs. AND while he was there the said young aussie would be buying parts for his motorcycle so that he could could build it up to spec on his return for a RTW trip?!?!?!?!?!? I say he wouldn't believe it.

Dougie MAWSON

Its crazy really to think just how far technology has come in just 30 years!!!!
My father worked at Mawson in 1983/84 and my mother was not able to hear from him for the whole year!!! And here I am having a chat with someone on the other side of the world from the bottom of the world!!
Its just amazing!!

travelingaustralian screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 10:31 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #132
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Have to love family! My mum sent me an email today. She was kind enough to unpack all the gear that arrived from Rally Raid and took pictures for me so I could make sure it was all there. So looking forward to building this bike up!! When the time comes Ill start a build thread.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #133
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Your Mum knows what makes her boy happy! Good on her!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #134
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Station Clean Up

Its been just over a week since we had 48 hours of cyclonic winds. With the winds averaging speeds of 70knots and gusts well over 80. At the time all non essential movements around station were stopped. And for those that did have to go do ops, it was a two person job with a third manning a radio just in case. Visibility was down to being able to see your feet and the blizz line in your hands. What would take 20 minutes to complete normally, took almost 2 hours. Most of this time was just dragging one's self from building to building.
It has taken 3 days to clear the machines of snow. Every nook and cranny in a machine was packed full of compressed snow!! We had to dig the engine bays out and clear all snow from around any moving part. The herman nelson was used to melt out the remaining snow.

In some of these pictures the snow has covered the walk ways. These walk ways are almost 2 meters off the ground.

Another question I was asked is why do we need large earth moving equipment in Antarctica? If it was not for the heavy equipment we would loose the station to the snow. Click on the bottom picture to watch a quick movie of one days cleanup outside the living quarters.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #135
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Wow. That video was amazing!
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote