Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
tinkerz OP
Sloroad Rambler

Oddometer: 11
3 days Ludington MI. to Glens Falls N.Y.

Taking the Badger ferry to Ludington and then on to Port Huron across the Canadian side to Niagra Falls and then east across the top of the finger lakes to Glens Falls. Any suggestions on route choices, things to see, things to avoid, places to eat/sleep. Only have three days maybe four. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
tinkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I took a bike on the crossing about 10 years ago. They put bikes on last. They have straps but think about how you want to strap it ahead of time. I had a Yamaha Venture and had no issues.

If you have time stop at the Henry Ford Museum near Detroit. It is very interesting. Has more than just Fords.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 593
I just drove home to GF that same basic route last week on my way back from a 7000 mile 18 day trip out west.....

Hummm input...

Don't buy gas in Canada.
Niagara Falls is a tourist trap.
Don't drive on the NYS Thruway (I-90)
Stay the hell away from Albany.
Stop someplace on one of the Finger Lakes and enjoy yourself.
Drink wine from one of the many wineries on the Finger Lakes.
Go to Watkins Glen,Lake George,Saratoga.

4 days ????
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Get across Michigan as fast as you can. It is total Flatistan going across on that route from Ludington to P. Huron. A lot of heavy traffic around Toronto so stay North of it as long as you can to NY.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
zaphoid
At the Space Bar.

Oddometer: 120
The Badger is an excellent waste of time.

Much more fun, and just as fast to take the northern route through the UP.

Show up at the ferry when they tell you. Wait for hours. Ferry ride takes hours and hours. No real food on the boat ... unless you like fake cheese nachos and hot dogs.
Maybe you could sleep through it, but inside the boat is hot as hell. No AC. Surrounded by other people’s children. The mad scramble to get off the boat. Good times, good times.
zaphoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
It's track season in Saratoga, you could catch a few horse races, and see the ladies in their wacky looking hats, lake George is nice but kind of touristy
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,300
You like hot dogs? Dirty John's (New Way Lunch) in Glens Falls and/or Zack's in Hudson Falls. Capri Pizza in Lake George Village. Harvest Restaurant on Quaker Road in GF has good eats as well. Real diner experience? Try the Prospect Diner, Rte9 immediately south of Lake George Village.

Both hot dog joints are amazing. Will hit both when I'm back far a wedding this fall!

Edit: GFHS Class of 1976

Hannda screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 02:13 PM
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Hannda

Advice. Read the Adirondacks and Beyond thread in Day Tripping. Look at the photos and see which of the OP's routes you might enjoy.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 442
Get a state room on the ferry, worth every penny.
Take the Queenston Lewiston bridge into NY state. Follow the seaway trail till it turns north and then go straight across due east on the 2 lane.

You will riding close to my house, I am 75 miles from the bridge
Riding across canada from PH to the bridge...sucks
Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Get across Michigan as fast as you can. It is total Flatistan going across on that route from Ludington to P. Huron. A lot of heavy traffic around Toronto so stay North of it as long as you can to NY.
Very accurate,If you choose to ride 10 over to Saginaw then south to 69 at Flint it's the fastest route.Watch out for deer,we are unseasonably cool this year and I wouldn't want to ride that stretch (Ludington to Midland) in the dark.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Hannda

Have you gone? Still going?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I took a bike on the crossing about 10 years ago. They put bikes on last. They have straps but think about how you want to strap it ahead of time. I had a Yamaha Venture and had no issues.

If you have time stop at the Henry Ford Museum near Detroit. It is very interesting. Has more than just Fords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphoid View Post
The Badger is an excellent waste of time.

Much more fun, and just as fast to take the northern route through the UP.

Show up at the ferry when they tell you. Wait for hours. Ferry ride takes hours and hours. No real food on the boat ... unless you like fake cheese nachos and hot dogs.
Maybe you could sleep through it, but inside the boat is hot as hell. No AC. Surrounded by other people’s children. The mad scramble to get off the boat. Good times, good times.
god you guys are a wet blanket. WTF? can't you make it 4 hours without food?...it's their fault they don't cater caviar to you? ....need AC when you could be outside and enjoy the nature of the Lake?....we crossed the Lake again on the Badger friday...it was the roughest crossing of the year...fun times...alot of sick people, felt bad for them...it was cold and 40 knot winds and 10 foot seas, I liked it...took a nap on deck....

and BTW, of the 9 times I rode the badger in the last 10 years, they NEVER put the bikes on last..you ride your bike on, they drive vehicles on.....bring 2 ties downs and take care of your own bike....not a big deal...it is all a perception problem, for some......roll in an hour before the ferry leaves and good to go...it is a cool maritime history type of experience....unless you have a ridiculously needy attitude.

as far as riding across the mitten, west to east, not much to do there

PM Steamers in Ludington has a nice mussels with andouille dish...and Blu Moon is a fun place/good eats (if you can hold out for 4 whole hours and not starve to death ) http://theblumoon.net/

the ride around is about 9 hours, the ferry is 4 + load unload time.....not "just as fast" BTW

freeflow screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 08:53 AM
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
XRangerRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Freeflow - I was on that trip last Friday too. I had the Red Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and was on the return leg eastbound from a trip cross country (Cape Cod, MA to Lake Tahoe, CA and back) with a buddy (grey Suzuki C50). The ferry crossing took a bit longer than the usual 4 hours due to weather but it still beat the ride south around Chicago and was a time saver. Even with the wind and seas I felt the trip was worth doing.

The Badger is one of the last (or maybe the last?) coal fired car ferries still sailing on the Great Lakes so I was glad to have that experience before it ceases operation.

The load time was a bit slow but they got the bikes on before the rain set in, and on the unload side at Ludington I was riding off the ferry no more than 15 minutes after docking.

We were dogged by rain off and on across Canada and New York but had a beautiful morning to ride through the Berkshires on our last day while heading home.
XRangerRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRangerRides View Post
Freeflow - I was on that trip last Friday too. I had the Red Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and was on the return leg eastbound from a trip cross country (Cape Cod, MA to Lake Tahoe, CA and back) with a buddy (grey Suzuki C50). The ferry crossing took a bit longer than the usual 4 hours due to weather but it still beat the ride south around Chicago and was a time saver. Even with the wind and seas I felt the trip was worth doing.
cheers, I was one with my wife, with my blue Yamahe Super Tenere and her red Vstrom.......

bad rushed photo, but this was sexy on the ferry....license plate read "Had a IRA"
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Food on the Badger

I am a bit surprised about the bad vibes concerning the food on the Badger that crosses Lake Michigan. My wife and I have been back and forth across Lake M. at least a hundred times. Her family has a summer cottage in Door County, Wis. Anything beats the hell out of going through Chicago. On the top floor of the Badger is a very nice cafeteria that has excellent food. If you got hot dogs you were in the deli on the floor below. Bikes are usually loaded around the middle of the boarding. They usually load all the really big trailers hauling wind turbine bases and parts last. Most turbine bases are built in Manitowoc, Wi. If the weather gets bad I sit on the lee side about half way the length of the ship. I take my Kindle and either read or nap. The Badger is the last coal fired ship on the lakes.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote