User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,627
When to get a new helmet?

Answer: any time you see stars. Wyogirl saw stars on Pearl Pass this weekend. Without a good helmet, she would have been taking a helicopter ride.

Even tho she fell to the right, her left wrist was bothering her. Watching the replay, we accused her of trying to brake her fall by pummeling the rocks into fine sand.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Gotta watch out for the putting-the-hand-out thing. Especially an open hand. Often better to take the impact on the forearm while keeping the fist closed.

There is a gender tendency with this, I have observed that women are more like to put out a hand while men are more likely to put out a fist & forearm. Wife & I have discussed this before. Not an absolute divide of course, but my theory is that it stems from boys being more likely to play contact sports and physically fight, compared to social behavior that girls are more likely to engage in, the "stay away from me, creep" gesture.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
And if only that guy had gotten away from the line before the bike came up.....
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Gotta watch out for the putting-the-hand-out thing. Especially an open hand. Often better to take the impact on the forearm while keeping the fist closed.

There is a gender tendency with this, I have observed that women are more like to put out a hand while men are more likely to put out a fist & forearm. Wife & I have discussed this before. Not an absolute divide of course, but my theory is that it stems from boys being more likely to play contact sports and physically fight, compared to social behavior that girls are more likely to engage in, the "stay away from me, creep" gesture.
We talked about that when viewing the videos in camp that night. I ride the bike into the ground with my hands on the bars. If I'm ejected, it's tuck and roll.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
And if only that guy had gotten away from the line before the bike came up.....
He's actually standing above a large, wet log that has been put into the road below this very slippery off camber section and is, I believe, ready to spot the section where people tend to get hung up. As usual, the video doesn't do this section justice showing its difficulty - there is a creek and the rocks slope off the 4x4 road at nearly a 45 degree angle. There really isn't a good line through the rocks. I think between our two groups (I was in a second group that went through here) we had 9 or 10 people, including some amazing riders, and only a couple cleared this obstacle.

As for crashing, I don't think putting a hand out is necessarily gender related. I know plenty of men who have broken hands, arms, shoulders, and collarbones because they try to catch themselves when they fall. I think it has more to do with sports and activities when younger. I played competitive soccer and raced mountain bikes and when I fall I tuck everything in and try to land flat without any body parts sticking out. Landing on a forearm or fist can easily get something broken if you fall the wrong way or too far.

I'm just glad she's ok and amazed that she rode those miles and miles of rocks and steepness with an injured wrist after seeing stars! It was hard enough without any injuries!
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
wyogirl311
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
What sucks so bad, is that I was *this* close to clearing it. We decided post ride that the rock was covered in whale foreskin, from all of the damn GS riders dropping their bikes there. It is now forever known as "Whale Foreskin Rock."
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyogirl311 View Post
It is now forever known as "Whale Foreskin Rock."

You were doing better than I would have up until your wheelie ended in a rock. Good job hopping right back on.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Speaking of helmets, would this one pass inspection?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,654
I'd send it to the manufacturer and have them test it. Looks borderline to me...

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I'd send it to the manufacturer and have them test it. Looks borderline to me...

Damn..any details?
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,188
Quote:

I dunno, years ago I used to flat track race a Honda Oddysee (not the mini-van) most of us had wrist restrains installed, lengths of nylon attached to the steering yoke with loops that you put around your wrists so you couldn't stick your hands out side the cage. I can't remember a roll over that I didn't feel the restraint stop my wrist even though I always meant to keep my hands on the yoke. I also can't remember any uninjured riders that didn't use them.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
That should buff right out.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer View Post
I dunno, years ago I used to flat track race a Honda Oddysee (not the mini-van) most of us had wrist restrains installed, lengths of nylon attached to the steering yoke with loops that you put around your wrists so you couldn't stick your hands out side the cage. I can't remember a roll over that I didn't feel the restraint stop my wrist even though I always meant to keep my hands on the yoke. I also can't remember any uninjured riders that didn't use them.
Probably because there aren't any. The lady we bought my son's beagle from rolled her Oddyysee several years ago.....thankfully the surgeons were able to reattach both arms. Her fingers still tingle a little, but they work fine.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Even tho she fell to the right, her left wrist was bothering her. Watching the replay, we accused her of trying to brake her fall by pummeling the rocks into fine sand.
It looks like her left hand got caught up in the clutch/handguard as she was going over. That probably accounts for the soreness. Tensions from the sudden stress of crash mode coupled with the unusual torque of suddenly going sideways would likely equal a sore wrist.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 327
I hate Pearl Pass. But then, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to big, rolly, wet rocks.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote