User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
R90 vs K1200S vs ?

I know - sounds odd. I have room for two motorcycles in my life right now. Been getting a bit bored with the 76 R90 and have been kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a sport bike. 46 years old - never owned one - do it before it is too late! Something for 1-2 hour weekend/after dinner rides. Maybe an occasional track day but i have never done that and not sure i will really find the time.

At any rate, a really sharp deal just came up on a low mileage 2008 K1200S. I really like the idea of big power, some comfort features and maybe will fit me better than a regular sport bike (6'2"). I only hesitate because part of me wants something less "reasonable" - a full on sport bike like a Triumph Daytona R, a Ducati or an R1 or whatnot.

I keep thinking the K1200S is the more rational choice and will be better for the type of riding i will be doing vs the riding I think I will be doing. I will keep the GSA for touring. Part of me also says you don't need to buy another bike. I have serious motorcycle ADD. I seem the buy/sell or trade one every year.

Thoughts?
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
I know - sounds odd. I have room for two motorcycles in my life right now. Been getting a bit bored with the 76 R90 and have been kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a sport bike. 46 years old - never owned one - do it before it is too late! Something for 1-2 hour weekend/after dinner rides. Maybe an occasional track day but i have never done that and not sure i will really find the time.

At any rate, a really sharp deal just came up on a low mileage 2008 K1200S. I really like the idea of big power, some comfort features and maybe will fit me better than a regular sport bike (6'2"). I only hesitate because part of me wants something less "reasonable" - a full on sport bike like a Triumph Daytona R, a Ducati or an R1 or whatnot.

I keep thinking the K1200S is the more rational choice and will be better for the type of riding i will be doing vs the riding I think I will be doing. I will keep the GSA for touring. Part of me also says you don't need to buy another bike. I have serious motorcycle ADD. I seem the buy/sell or trade one every year.

Thoughts?
I love my k12s

hopefully you will too

great mile eater

I love my gspd as well

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
sasha18yug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
If you are looking at something that is fun for 2h a week i would chosse something in the 600cc sportbike class...just because you can rev it and its lighter more nimble then something bigger like k1200s ...
sasha18yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Michael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I have a K1200S, bought new in 2008. 36K on it now and I have loved every mile. But, I use it for everything since it is the one street bike I own - sport riding, touring, commuting.....you will become addicted to the power and soon you won't want to ride the GSA on the slab anymore. Every time I ride an oilhead now (for example, as a loaner bike when mine is in for service) I can't wait to get back to my S.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha18yug View Post
If you are looking at something that is fun for 2h a week i would chosse something in the 600cc sportbike class...just because you can rev it and its lighter more nimble then something bigger like k1200s ...

That's what I am wondering. What is the most fun to ride? Found a 2002 Ducati 998 available locally today. Looks very clean. Had two potential buyers come out and look at the R90 today.

Duc 998 vs K1200S?
1989 911
Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
Quote:
That's what I am wondering. What is the most fun to ride? Found a 2002 Ducati 998 available locally today. Looks very clean. Had two potential buyers come out and look at the R90 today.

Duc 998 vs K1200S?
What K1200S? Take the 998. I've a K1200R which I like a lot and I used to work at a BMW dealer where I rode plenty of K1200Ses and GTs. They're nice enough but they are really long and pretty heavy.

The Ducati is an icon. It has the Testastretta heads in the 916 chassis. The valve clearance will need to be checked more frequently than the BMW but it will probably cost less than the BMW to check and to adjust will probably be no more than the BMW.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Based on what you wrote above, a sport bike would be the right choice and BMW slapping an S at the end of a K1200 tourer's name does not a sport bike make. Try one of the middle-weight Japanese sport bikes.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:

Thoughts?
I agree with some others above: K1200S is a fine bike but for what you say you want, there would be better fits.

The K12S has plenty of power but what makes a high-power modern sportbike so exciting is to have that much power in a very small, nimble package.

For afternoon blasts, there is no shortage of choice. A GSX-R 1000/R1/Fireblade would be available for the price of a K12S. The Duc 998 could be great if you're happy accommodating Ducati quirks but it won't be as quick (still plenty, IMO, but not hypersports in the modern sense). If you like BMWs, there is of course the S1000RR. (I'm assuming the Aprilia V4 is out of reach.)

The supernakeds are well worth a thought as well, for your purposes. Ducati Streetfighter 1098/Aprilia Tuono/Triumph Speed Triple etc. That sort of motor feels even quicker with the bodywork off.

If possible, ride an S1000RR/GSX-R1000/R1/Fireblade and a K1200S before making your mind up. You will notice the difference.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

I may have contracted Ducati fever. Surfing the net, watching/listening to youtube videos. That 998 is looking very tempting. I like the idea of a true sportbike, something with tons of character and a bike that is probably mostly to fullly depreciated at this point.
1989 911
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I test rode several K12 and 13Ss before settling on a K1200R. I took them all to a parking lot and did some tight figure eights to see how the longer wheel base differed from my GS. They were a little unwieldy, but not too bad. My K1200R, by contrast, has awesome steering and feels so much more nimble than the Ss. I've done a few recent mods too that make it stupid fast. This kind of power is addictive and dangerous.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,779
I'm trading in my k12s for an S1000rr, the only overnight I did on the K12s was my first track day. Good bike to take for a few hours spin, but my r12gs does everything better except accelerate and top speed.

If you need saddlebags, or to carry the SO, a k13s might be a better choice since the poor throttle response was worked out by then. Ergos on the K will be better than the S, and much better than the duc.

I was about your age when I did my first track day right after I got the K12s and it was great fun, not many other places you can do 160, was shaking like a leaf after the first session from all that adrenaline. Something everyone should try once.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Well, I put the R90 on the market and it sold in three days. That was easy!

Giving more and more thought to getting a used Japanese sport bike. Seems to be the most fun for the buck. Always liked the look of the R1.
1989 911