Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #17641
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Just a heads up to all the xrr owners since we are on the subject. I replaced one of my oem rads with a Myler's radiator. http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

Well made units, heavier duty. more capacity, fully welded/bonded or whatever, and they are under $150 a side. They are assembled in the U.S. (Utah), but not sure if that is the same as made in the U.S.

Put one on the crf250 also, no issues with fitting.

crypto666 screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 01:38 PM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #17642
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Update on Electronics from China/Vietnam/...

Over the last several months I've spoken with as many as I could find who makes ignition electronics. I spoke with the companies who make XR650R stators, or who appear to make stators more accurately, I've spoken with a couple of guys I know at companies that make car ignition stuff like MSD, and finally I spoke with several race mechanics I know and a friend who works at Delphi.

Ricky Stator gets their stuff from the cheapest source and it's cheaper because it is lower quality. How much lower quality? Depends because lower standards mean a wider range of expectations on performance. You might get the random best one or the worst. None of the stuff is tested so there isn't a range of specs like Consumer, Aviation, Military, Space.

An electrical engineer I know told me a lot about Boeing's problems outsourcing Dreamliner work to China because McDonnell Douglas management style has really taken over Boeing. He told me that on paper you can get the same quality from China/Vietnam but it rarely works out that way unless you are like Apple and Nikon and you buy in very large quantities with large margins and can afford to pay for extra bodies to manage quality. There was more about that but suffice to say the market for XR650R stator upgrades did not meet any of the thresholds.

Finally, to address this personal BS, there are different sorts of maintenance styles, as I have already mentioned. I've seen your's firsthand. To accurately reference your style after you inject yourself into this discussion seems fair. Perhaps you are confusing what I see as your chosen style with what I see as your competence mechanically. You've told anyone who will listen the story of your well worn out BMW purchase and its subsequent throttle cable sticking and your subsequent running into a building that wasn't moving. So why act like it is some taboo has been breached? When you told Shawn and I that story what did you think you were gonna get from it? We got from that story another clue as to how you maintain your stuff. And it sure as h*ll ain't the way either of us maintain our stuff. Is one way better than the other? Certainly. Moreso if you are a Corporate Pilot like Shawn. But that wasn't the point. The point was to answer the OP's question; that for some guys who ride where there is a long winter then the lower quality of a Ricky Stator is probably not an issue as the hours just don't add up like they do in a place where guys are riding year round. And the savings from Ricky over Honda isn't significant.

I'm not above getting personal but for the record I generally have no interest in offending proto alcoholics and narcissists who carry cast iron frying pans on rides to stage photo ops for ride reports and then wonder online why their solo week-long rides are hollow experiences (though my guess is the answer to that question is always - the company.) To repeat, under normal circumstances that is something I have zero interest in.

You stay classy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Pat, you sure are good at bringing personal issues into a forum discussion that doesn't want or deserve it. If you have problems with me, fine. That was just between you and me, and I wrote you off a long time ago. But to make statements here about various vendors without backing proof, and then ignoring requests for such proof and instead just slinging mud, that says more about your character than I ever have here on Advrider (which I recall has not happened). And slinging more crap with mis-information about me and my circumstances just adds icing to the cake. Go back and read what I wrote, it was never personal. You made it personal.

Thank you for providing the google link to your "facts" about the Ricky Stator failures on an XR650R. That search shows at least one issue back in '06. Know those guys? When you said that Ricky Stators had a lot of failures a while back, and we all called you on it, we hoped that you had some backing for it. I guess since you read it on the internet via google, it must be true. Yup, we're all just a bunch of cheap fucktards here.

P.S. Similar google results if you change "Ricky Stator" to "Baja Designs", by the way.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #17643
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
For those bored enough to pay attention, my buddy and I are starting the Tour of Idaho challenge Saturday morning (if I can get out of bed).

Leaving work tomorrow at noon to start the 7-8 hour drive to the campsite.

Follow along if you want. Won't be too much commentary because I'd suspect small town Idaho isn't a hotspot for WIFI, but you can follow the little motorcycle symbol as we bang, bash, and roll our 650's over Idaho's finest terrain:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75

Edit: The campsite people are going to HATE me for starting my FMF piped XR650R at ~6AM.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #17644
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,298
Hi Bump, hope you and the family are doing well...!

Nice job helping the inmate, who is building the 1X XRR bike .
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #17645
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Talked to the guys at moto one, they said they've only experienced crank issues with this bike (usually when ran at wot for long periods of time). they will be tearing into it soon to fully diagnose the issue. But they are pretty sure that is the issue.
Bummer. That is a great crew down at Moto 1. Mine is a 2001 and fresh purchase also so I would be very interested to hear what Jason finds in there. They have been very helpful on my build and I would prefer to avoid your situation if at all possible.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #17646
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
For those bored enough to pay attention, my buddy and I are starting the Tour of Idaho challenge Saturday morning (if I can get out of bed).

Leaving work tomorrow at noon to start the 7-8 hour drive to the campsite.

Follow along if you want. Won't be too much commentary because I'd suspect small town Idaho isn't a hotspot for WIFI, but you can follow the little motorcycle symbol as we bang, bash, and roll our 650's over Idaho's finest terrain:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75

Edit: The campsite people are going to HATE me for starting my FMF piped XR650R at ~6AM.
Excellent!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #17647
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Just a heads up to all the xrr owners since we are on the subject. I replaced one of my oem rads with a Myler's radiator. http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

Well made units, heavier duty. more capacity, fully welded/bonded or whatever, and they are under $150 a side. They are assembled in the U.S. (Utah), but not sure if that is the same as made in the U.S.

Put one on the crf250 also, no issues with fitting.

Good luck! They certainly look nice, and certainly more affordable than fluidynes. I was in the market for extra radiators a while back and purchased the Chinese eBay ones on a whim. Beside a stupid tipover in my trailer bending one of them, they have have worked out very well. Enough so that I bought another pair.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #17648
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Yup, call or email unabiker. They are the way to go and as mentioned, they have bigger guards for the fluidynes.

Side note, these guards really throw off Acerbis 6.6 mounting, and the lower shroud mounting. For whatever reason. Might have just been my bike or whatever. Ended up having to use longer screws for the shrouds, and HAD to use Hodaka's tanker brace to mount the big red tank. I could not mange to find a home for those lower bolts no matter how hard I tried. Once the tanker brace was fitted, things were smooth sailing.

It's interesting how the factory 450 Baja bikes use the stock plastic guards and add wire mesh to cover the front of them. Depending on your use, that might be a viable solution. Of course, with the BRP, just use an oversized tank (6-ish gallons) that eliminates the side shrouds, and you have excellent protection. Unless you center-punch a branch/stick/discarded fuel tank.....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #17649
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Good luck! They certainly look nice, and certainly more affordable than fluidynes. I was in the market for extra radiators a while back and purchased the Chinese eBay ones on a whim. Beside a stupid tipover in my trailer bending one of them, they have have worked out very well. Enough so that I bought another pair.

Did they drop engine temperature over the stock ones?
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #17650
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Did they drop engine temperature over the stock ones?
Only when going through slow technical stuff. I haven't had a boil over since I installed them.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #17651
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
Hey Pat, here's a hint. I think everybody here already knows that you don't like me, maybe even hate. But I'm starting to wonder if you are kind of infatuated with me. I didn't realize you'd be thinking about me for so long. But by quoting me from six months ago, it really shows how much you care. But I have to be perfectly honest here....I'm not that relevant to the XR650R thread. No really, I'm not. As a matter of fact, I'm not relevant to other inmates here, either. So while you spend your emotional energy putting me on a pedestal and taking pot shots at me, the rest of the inmates here probably don't give a damn.

So here's an idea, how about you color yourself on down to the basement and join the I Hate Cpt. Ron Club Call it therapy, and I won't even charge you for it. Best deal you'll get, IMHO.

P.S. To put it back on topic (from 6-mos ago...), where are those stats on Ricky Stator versus Baja Design stator failures?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #17652
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Over the last several months I've spoken with as many as I could find who makes ignition electronics. I spoke with the companies who make XR650R stators, or who appear to make stators more accurately, I've spoken with a couple of guys I know at companies that make car ignition stuff like MSD, and finally I spoke with several race mechanics I know and a friend who works at Delphi.

Ricky Stator gets their stuff from the cheapest source and it's cheaper because it is lower quality. How much lower quality? Depends because lower standards mean a wider range of expectations on performance. You might get the random best one or the worst. None of the stuff is tested so there isn't a range of specs like Consumer, Aviation, Military, Space.

An electrical engineer I know told me a lot about Boeing's problems outsourcing Dreamliner work to China because McDonnell Douglas management style has really taken over Boeing. He told me that on paper you can get the same quality from China/Vietnam but it rarely works out that way unless you are like Apple and Nikon and you buy in very large quantities with large margins and can afford to pay for extra bodies to manage quality. There was more about that but suffice to say the market for XR650R stator upgrades did not meet any of the thresholds.

Finally, to address this personal BS, there are different sorts of maintenance styles, as I have already mentioned. I've seen your's firsthand. To accurately reference your style after you inject yourself into this discussion seems fair. Perhaps you are confusing what I see as your chosen style with what I see as your competence mechanically. You've told anyone who will listen the story of your well worn out BMW purchase and its subsequent throttle cable sticking and your subsequent running into a building that wasn't moving. So why act like it is some taboo has been breached? When you told Shawn and I that story what did you think you were gonna get from it? We got from that story another clue as to how you maintain your stuff. And it sure as h*ll ain't the way either of us maintain our stuff. Is one way better than the other? Certainly. Moreso if you are a Corporate Pilot like Shawn. But that wasn't the point. The point was to answer the OP's question; that for some guys who ride where there is a long winter then the lower quality of a Ricky Stator is probably not an issue as the hours just don't add up like they do in a place where guys are riding year round. And the savings from Ricky over Honda isn't significant.

I'm not above getting personal but for the record I generally have no interest in offending proto alcoholics and narcissists who carry cast iron frying pans on rides to stage photo ops for ride reports and then wonder online why their solo week-long rides are hollow experiences (though my guess is the answer to that question is always - the company.) To repeat, under normal circumstances that is something I have zero interest in.

You stay classy too.

All I see here is a latent jealousy of another man's penis size. With no facts that were requested more than once. But there is some awesome heresay.
yourdrunkdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #17653
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Only when going through slow technical stuff. I haven't had a boil over since I installed them.

The real test for me is if I can smash one and still ride home. I have seen oem rads take a serious smushing and still not leak. I am skeptical that the heavier duty units will be as durable once smashed just because of the physics of it all, but there is only one way to find out.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #17654
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
The real test for me is if I can smash one and still ride home. I have seen oem rads take a serious smushing and still not leak. I am skeptical that the heavier duty units will be as durable once smashed just because of the physics of it all, but there is only one way to find out.
Come to find out, my cheap Chinese ones had one ride on them (Virginia City Grand Prix), and then it fell over in my trailer. The left radiator hit my other wheel chock, putting one hell of a dent in it. That was a year and a half ago, and I've been riding it like that ever since. No leaks, no overheating. I have a spare, just haven't made the time to put it on, and in light of how it's working, I'm not too motivated to do so, either.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #17655
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

P.S. To put it back on topic (from 6-mos ago...), where are those stats on Ricky Stator versus Baja Design stator failures?
Sorry for feeeding the trolls, but;
My RS stator, which was purchased in 2005, is still working. no issues. I could do some testing and see what the actual output is, but I don't care. Maybe it is still working because we have winter? Of course it is, even though I still ride in the winter, and I probably ride more off-road in three summer months than bump does in a year, maybe two. Almost a daily rider, and while not a racer, I ride mostly race course and get paid to do so some of the time.

However, the heavy duty reg/rect that I got from RS does seem to be electrically dirty which creates issues, but I don't think RS is selling a Typanium product that is any different than the Tympanium products sold elsewhere.

I still have yet to find a use for bajadesigns anything.