Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #30091
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Changed tires the other day to some Folding Roubaix, the Armadillos from Specialized. $130 for the pair.
Had a flat on the way home during my commute yesterday. I'm running Gator HardShells, so it was a bit of a surprise. I was on the downhill leg and running about 23-25mph when the rear got mushy. I changed the tube and didn't see any punctures/damage to the tire. Couldn't find anything wrong with the tube, either. Rode the rest of the way home wondering if the new tube was going to suffer a puncture from something my inspection didn't find.

Nope, got home and found a moment to pump the bad tube up. The hole was the on the wheel side and on a seam. Ugh. I'll double-check the rim tape, patch the tube and put it back in rotation.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #30092
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nope, got home and found a moment to pump the bad tube up. The hole was the on the wheel side and on a seam. Ugh. I'll double-check the rim tape, patch the tube and put it back in rotation.
More than a few of the mysterious flats I fix are rim strip-related.

@Mr Head: I know whatcha mean about the little 'pro shops.' There are one or two running around the DC area, but for the most part, the guys working there aren't Vecchio's. I'm better'n some. Worse than others. Right now, I don't have time to be 'the guru.' Too effing busy. If I had help, that'd probably be another story.

Dropped spokes off with a 'competing' LBS down the road from the shop 'cause they have a Phil Wood machine. Introduced myself, asked em if they were getting busier 'cause I was sending em so much business. Guy said yes, but there were some 'interesting' repairs so he didn't know whether to thank me or cuss at me!

So I had off a whole two days straight. Right? Left 4 repairs/day in for the 'somewhat under-motivated' mechanic to do. Guess how many repairs I came back to yesterday?

If you don't say 8 you're wrong.

Evidently the guy decided he didn't want to work there any more and left.

In the short term, it sucks 'cause now I'm behind. In the long run, its better because I don't have to check his work, don't have to deal with his attitude, and most importantly, the customers don't have to deal with his attitude. There's a kid coming on Mon that knows a little more (or maybe a little less ) but importantly, has a good attitude. A good attitude goes LOTS longer than knowledge. You can teach knowledge.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #30093
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,783
Laugh Horrible 95

This story was written by one of the guys I rode with last week. It's about his experience during the 'Horrible Hundred' back in 2011.

http://johntenney.com/?p=118
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #30094
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
Good one!
Fun writer, sounds like a fun guy to ride with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This story was written by one of the guys I rode with last week. It's about his experience during the 'Horrible Hundred' back in 2011.

http://johntenney.com/?p=118
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #30095
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Soyanarcristo-
Bummer.

My cannondale I bought needed EVERYTHING checked (scalpel 1). I had chain rings loose on my 5-6th ride. That could do what you are saying. I also have had some spokes loose/break on my Reynolds wheels but that is good now.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #30096
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Good one!
Fun writer, sounds like a fun guy to ride with.
He is. At the ripe old age of 56, John is still doing a grueling Sunday ride, followed by a long distance run on Monday, followed by a Cyclocross race on Tuesday, followed by swimming practice the rest of the week, and an occasional TT race. I don't know where he gets his energy.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #30097
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Sunday Ride/VT Primer

We had a pretty hard ride today, and the longest of the year for us. What a gorgeous day in the Northeast! We are going to VT in a week or so for 3 long mileage days, so we put in a big effort. We found a guy on the side of the road with a flat, and no spare tubes or tools, so we gave him a tube and got him on his way. Paid it forward... I hope everyone had a safe day of riding!

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #30098
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
rbrsddn, good onya for helping a fellow cyclist in need. Maybe next time he'll remember to bring that stuff.

I went up to Lassen again today with a group. I was late and left about 20 min. after everyone else. I was irked about being late and the legs felt like crap, pissing and moaning all the way up to the Devastated Area, convinced that I would turn around at the summit. By the time I got to Kings Creek, the legs had woken up and I started to feel better about things. I ended up catching most of the group at the south gate where I had planned to turn around from the outset. All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good day on the bike, once I had warmed up and got over myself.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #30099
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

All y'all that rode today suck. Right about the time it was time to get dressed to go mtn biking another thunderstorm rolled through.

While I'm not adverse to riding in the rain, the trails aren't so appreciative.

So I went home instead.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #30100
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
No riding for K7

Between kissing the pavement on July 5th followed by bronchitis followed by vacation late next week, this will be the longest period I've been off the bike in three years.

It sucks too.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #30101
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Between kissing the pavement on July 5th followed by bronchitis followed by vacation late next week, this will be the longest period I've been off the bike in three years.

It sucks too.
Think of it as 'rest weeks.' Allows you to regain motivation among other things.

M
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #30102
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
I had extended family come in last night, late. Late to coffee, then back to putter around the house doing chores.
I did true up that rear wheel though.
Replaced a bunch of burned out lights, and almost got the last pieces of trim into the powder room. Washed my nasty motorcycle jacket and my helmet. That poor thing is worn out. Smells a lot better now, I sure hope it dries by Monday.
Tomorrow I'll get a ride in. Should be nice and windy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
All y'all that rode today suck. Right about the time it was time to get dressed to go mtn biking another thunderstorm rolled through.

While I'm not adverse to riding in the rain, the trails aren't so appreciative.

So I went home instead.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #30103
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Racing 100 miles in the dirt is stupid... so I only did 98.

They re-routed the course last minute to avoid some bridges that were out. Pennsylvania has a metric-shit-load of rocks!

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #30104
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Racing 100 miles in the dirt is stupid... so I only did 98.

They re-routed the course last minute to avoid some bridges that were out. Pennsylvania has a metric-shit-load of rocks!

Back when I did enduros we called them "rock gardens" .

How'd you do?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #30105
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Strava sucks!

I was in a near panic this morning when I received this message from Strava:

"You just lost your KOM on Panera uphill final...SPRINT!! to Raffy Soriano by 4 seconds."

Turns out to be bullshit. Soriano didn't beat my record at all, he just tied it. I'm gonna sue Strava for the mental distress their mistake caused me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: