Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #18031
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyDrug View Post

Bought a tiger 800 road. Gonna be here in 2 weeks. CANT WAIT!

Been reading this thread, some awesome posts and help! Many thanks
Welcome and congrats on your new bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #18032
PBee

Oddometer: 8,363
I'd be careful quoting that photo if I were you!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
bit of a thread hijack.... no that doesn't look bad at all. Here is a reasonable non-third world example of overload. So many examples of bikes overloaded in India for utility or commerce but I don't feel that counts.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #18033
bunnyDrug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new bike.
thank you
bunnyDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #18034
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Gear Shift Lever Spring

Anyone know the symptoms of the "Gear Shift Lever Spring" failure. My shifting has gone to shit in a week. Sometimes normal other times not. The spring has not yet been replaced.

Missed second two or three times, difficulty down shifting.

2011 model with 16k miles. It has been tagged for spring replacement.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #18035
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Anyone know the symptoms of the "Gear Shift Lever Spring" failure. .
Yes, poor shifting.

You have a bike that is not shifting well. You have a bike with a known faulty part in the shifting mechanism. Isn't the overwhelmingly obvious first step to sorting your issue just to get the spring replaced?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #18036
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Yes, poor shifting.

You have a bike that is not shifting well. You have a bike with a known faulty part in the shifting mechanism. Isn't the overwhelmingly obvious first step to sorting your issue just to get the spring replaced?
Sometimes things like getting someone to do something are not so easy. Seems dealer's service manager, who has been recently fired, could not locate the part that Triumph sent for my bike and asked me for some time to find it. Replacement manager/general manager is on vacation this week.

I didn't see any merit in asking the mechanic filling in as SM to get involved in the cluster fuck.

I guess what I should have asked was is a catastrophic failure imminent? or is it safe to ride while putting up with poor shifting until next week?

My expectations are not high at the only shop I would consider doing business with.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #18037
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post

I guess what I should have asked was is a catastrophic failure imminent? or is it safe to ride while putting up with poor shifting until next week?
I believe what happens if the spring breaks or gets weak is that it won't want to return to it's normal static position and that you would have to return the lever manually to it's normal resting spot after each shift (with your foot) otherwise the lever just hangs limp and the selector won't reset. I don't think its the type of thing that will strand you but it could be a hassle. I had mine done before it was showing any signs of going bad. I did notice it was much easier to get into neutral afterwards and shifting in general was better. Sorry you have to deal with a crappy dealer.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #18038
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry you have to deal with a crappy dealer.
There's blame to go around. The lost part came up in April and I never pressed them about it. I was happily riding a trouble free bike until now. The fired Service Manager and I did not have a cordial relationship. Looking forward to meeting whoever gets the the job next.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #18039
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Here's a good dealer note: Stopped into Latus Motors, Gladstone, OR, today. They are Harley and Triumph. For a Harley event there was a band and a barbecue. Spoke with the service manager for a minute and he took my Tiger in back to flash the latest map. I grabbed a hot dog, listened to the tunes and rode off. Good day and a great dealer!
pilot3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #18040
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
My statement still stands that there are no real updates to the 2014 even though (or because) no information is available.

This might be covered elsewhere, but I don't mind saying it here as well.
I just noticed a difference between my (late) 2011 bike (one of the first of the black framers), and my mates 2012 bike.
Apart from the obvious addition of the letters X and C after the embossed digits 800 on the infill panels between the seat and the tank, and his having ABS and mine not.

There is a difference with the side stand and side-stand-switch.

My switch is mounted from underneath the bike and the plunger acts on the underside of the kick stand. The slightly later bike has the switch mounted from the top, and the mount has a lip on the edge to act as protection for the switch, the plunger acts on the top/outer side of the stand.

Mine. (You may also notice I have the switch guard by Touratech)

My mates slightly newer one.
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #18041
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
I just noticed a difference between my (late) 2011 bike (one of the first of the black framers), and my mates 2012 bike.
Apart from the obvious addition of the letters X and C after the embossed digits 800 on the infill panels between the seat and the tank, and his having ABS and mine not.

My switch is mounted from underneath the bike and the plunger acts on the underside of the kick stand. The slightly later bike has the switch mounted from the top, and the mount has a lip on the edge to act as protection for the switch, the plunger acts on the top/outer side of the stand.

My mates slightly newer one.
That's interesting, I wonder if I could change mine to this, the stand switch is protected now! Looks like it's just a new stand and the cover, My stand switch is bashed to bits, but still working.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #18042
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
That's interesting, I wonder if I could change mine to this, the stand switch is protected now! Looks like it's just a new stand and the cover, My stand switch is bashed to bits, but still working.
Yep. I took delivery of my 2012 in May of 12 and ordered the Touratech cover straight away. I got it an found it didn't work. TT asked me to send them photos when I returned it and shortly after, they added the note to their catalog that it didn't fit the later models. Evidently Triumph figured out one bad thing.
pilot3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #18043
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post

AFAIK (besides fuel maps, colors and recall/service bulletins)

2011 to 2012
Side stand switch and black frame (or very dark grey)
2012 to 2013
"XC" taken off the tank and molded into the lower tank panel
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #18044
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Somehow Touratech forgot to notify me when they got upper crash bard back in stock. Good thing I checked.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #18045
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,290
Tires Question

My scorp trails are just about worn out, but I have liked them better than the Fullbores. About 3K miles on the latter, 5k miles on the former and look to go maybe another thousand or so.

Thinking about trying the new Anakee 3's, but I see they come in V and H rating - which do I want? Seems to me the trails are V rated. Are H-rated a harder compound but less sticky?

Anyone try the new Anakees?