Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #541
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
It's a small group of riders spread out over a large geography and unfortunately there sometimes seems to be as many sanctioning organizations as trials riders, with the usual resultant political bickering...amongst the modern crowd anyway! The vintage scene is pretty cohesive fortunately. Some vintage classes are run with modern events in places, otherwise the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) has been involved with such for over 25 years, with the landscape changing much over that time from British heavyweights and Spanish two-strokes through to the later twinshocks...which have been accomodated for some time now. http://www.rocler.qc.ca/ariane/What%20is%20Motorcycle%20Trials.htm
Thanks for posting that.
Sidecars too, all on three lines, very impressive. Have you got any links to results or event reports?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #542
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Some vintage classes are run with modern events in places, otherwise the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) has been involved with such for over 25 years, with the landscape changing much over that time from British heavyweights and Spanish two-strokes through to the later twinshocks...which have been accomodated for some time now. http://www.rocler.qc.ca/ariane/What%20is%20Motorcycle%20Trials.htm
That looks to be pretty much what I remember from the previously discussed Ormstown (Quebec) Off-Road Festival when I rode up there.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #543
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
what is this!

Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #544
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Geritol Trial. Great vintage event. Handicap system. Oldest rider and oldest bike. Every year newer counts a point. Handicap points are in the 3rd column, then loop scores.

It's hard to beat Neil with that 54 Velo. What is the rule about consecutive wins?

LowPSI screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 10:20 AM
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #545
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Thanks for posting that.
Sidecars too, all on three lines, very impressive. Have you got any links to results or event reports?
I can count on one or two hands the number of times I have seen sidecars or rigids out, but they are accomodated. "Organizer's discretion" is the operating phrase (and proverbial bottom line) and three lines can become four. As these guys would probably be competing against themselves the real trick is to make sure they have a fun and safe time. There's no Repsol or Red Bull sponsorships at stake! The trick with rule structures is to be flexible enought to deal with occasional exceptions without being rigidly geared towards managing them. Most of the guys who come out on old iron know what they are doing and can easilly ride a novice line used for later twinshocks or even more aggresive lines.

roadholder screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 11:21 AM
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #546
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
That looks to be pretty much what I remember from the previously discussed Ormstown (Quebec) Off-Road Festival when I rode up there.
It would look familar. It's from the organizer's website, and Ormstown is a regular venue in the Quebec vintage trials series. http://www.rocler.qc.ca/ariane/QVT.htm
I posted a photo link here a few pages back which you may already have been copied on if you were there.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #547
GTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Tl125

Looking at a 1976 Honda TL125, any known problems? What should I look for? What is a fair price?

Thank you
GTC
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #548
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
Looking at a 1976 Honda TL125, any known problems? What should I look for? What is a fair price?

Thank you
GTC

If you want something for gentle trail riding the TL125 is fine, but if you are looking for small capacity trials bike a TY175 or modified TLR200 are both an awful lot better than the TL.

Main issues with TL are related to general wear and tear, and bikes which look neglected and badly maintained should be avoided, while those which look good and run well without any strange noises from motors, will almost always be perfectly ok.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #549
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post

Thank you
GTC
I had one back in the early "70s. Nice little bike. The biggest problem for trials riding was the forks were raked out too far. I cut the frame and pulled em back a little. It was a lot better, but still a 125. Eventually sold it and got a TL250 for a Colorado trail bike and a 350 SherpaT for trials.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #550
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I don’t think I would ride with a scoring system like that.
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #551
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Interesting thing is even scored straight up, Howard would of been 3rd on a 2010. Beat by the `54 and a `93!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #552
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
I don’t think I would ride with a scoring system like that.
I would.... I just want to ride... Anywhere , anytime ,anyhow..
someone sticks a couple of pegs in mound of dirt I will ride around them..

Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #553
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Hey all,
SO, does anyone have any pointers for looking for a pre-65' Trials bike? Any sites I should check out?

I should add, that I am LOOKING. I don't really know how serious I am yet....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #554
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all,
SO, does anyone have any pointers for looking for a pre-65' Trials bike? Any sites I should check out?

I should add, that I am LOOKING. I don't really know how serious I am yet....

I would say dont bother, unless you enjoy standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 dollar notes, as well as spending plenty of time working on your bike.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #555
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all, SO, does anyone have any pointers for looking for a pre-65' Trials bike? Any sites I should check out?
From what I have seen the pre-65 trials crowd is a bit e-challenged! There's forums at Trials Central and some of the various competition organizations out there, plus a few bike specific enthusiast pages, vendor sites, etc., depending on what machines you are interested in. Unless you are really motivated towards a specific machine, have a clear vision of the bike/project you want and have the appropriate mechanical skills, resources and funds to do a project...you may want to be careful what you wish for!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote