Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 797
I love the photos...what a beautiful country. Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #17
pavillo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi! Thanks for showing my small advcountry.
pavillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavillo View Post
Hi! Thanks for showing my small advcountry.

Glad to see that you made it to the party.

You may want to check out this thread while you are here..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137335
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
rogerdodger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
That was quite a write up! Good job and thanks for taken us there.

Malaysia and Thailand

Nepal

Back home Georgia to Florida

its not what I do, its the way that I do it.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #20
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
That was quite a write up! Good job and thanks for taken us there.

Glad you are enjoying it.

There are still a few installments to come. I'm just having trouble finding the time to put them together.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #21
Irnworker433
XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer: 95
Awesome!

Super stoked that you had a chance to do this. Great writeup, and tons of pics...almost as tho we were there. Hope you and the missus are doing great.

D
Irnworker433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #22
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnworker433 View Post
Super stoked that you had a chance to do this. Great writeup, and tons of pics...almost as tho we were there. Hope you and the missus are doing great.

D
Hey D!! Where ya been? I wrote you on FB last week. We're doing good. Hope you and yours are well!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,165
Hey Dude, just found your Spain thread. Very nice, looks like you have a great adventure. I've been a few places in Spain and I love the country. Not to mention GORGEOUS women.

PS: what did they find wrong with the KTM?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

Meanwhile, back in Spain.

Just after I crossed the border back into Spain, I began to look for a way to the start point of some back country tracks that Pavillo had pointed out to me with the GPS he had lent me. They did not start very near the highway, the other back country roads were not displayed on the GPS, I was unsure which side route would get me to the starting point of the tracks, and I did not have an unlimited amount of time to lose looking for it, not to mention the possibility of getting lost in remote mountains.

I decided instead to explore a little bit here and there off the highway on my way back.

The first thing I came across was a little side road that lead to a hamlet, and this cool old church.

Just across the street (?) was a residence. The bike has not moved.

More angles of the church

The plaque (historical marker) for the church.

Can anyone translate the jist of this?

I stayed on this small "road" paralleling the highway, and ended up stumbling on this small village. It had a unique combination of old buildings, really old buildings, and a few modern ones which were designed to blend in, but were still a bit out of place.

In the next pictures, the the street between the buildings is public. I stopped to ask a local resident that I saw walking around if it was permitted for me to ride through. He confirmed for me that it was. It was so tight compared to what we are used to in the U.S., I felt compelled to make sure that I was on public property.

I did not take any more pictures here, but it was a cool little town that even had an interesting looking Hostel/ Bar/ Restaurant. I kind of wish I had not been pressed for time, it would have been cool to check it out a little more.

Back on the highway, making my way back to Barcelona, I found another diversion to check out.

I saw this mountain from the highway, and a road leading in the general direction on the GPS, and decided to do a little exploring to see if I could ride up to the snow line.

Some views from the road along the way, trying to make my way to the snow line. (Not to mention a fair amount of gratuitous 990 pRon.)

Some interesting rock layers.

More to come from this segment.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

The road leading up to the lookout point I ended my previous post with was awesome! Lots of elevation change (obviously), and a great, narrow, curvy road.

Heading around the other side of the mountain from the lookout point in my previous post. The awesome road continued. This time with less trees so that I could get a few pictures of the beautifully constructed asphalt.

A homestead that I would be riding past in a little while.

These pictures are taken from one stop, but the entire road was curvy like this. Those Spaniards know how to make an entertaining byway, for sure!

A few miles later, when I rounded the side of a mountain, a mix of precipitation including snow, sleet, and rain started forming on my visor, and I decided that was as close as I needed to get to the snow line. Time to snap a few pics, and turn around.

After this stop, I headed back the way I had come, and headed directly back to Barcelona by the main routes, and highways.

Back on the highway, I saw some storm clouds blowing in. Probably the ones I had just encountered up in the mountains. I stopped at a gas station for fuel and a snack. While I was there, I checked the online radar maps for the area that I had saved in my favorites on my phone. I decided to just hold up for a bit, hoping the storm clouds would blow through, and I would not have to ride through the brunt of the rain. After a 1/2 hour or so, I continued on on wet roads, but with no heavy rainfall. The ride from West to East in the valley alongside a rushing stream was beautiful, even for the lack of sunshine.

Shortly before reaching the E-9/ C-16, it started to rain heavier, and I finally decided I should stop and put on my rain pants to avoid getting soaked. I was completely unfamiliar with the area, and had no idea where the road was going to take me next.

As I began to put on the rain pants, the sun looked like it wanted to poke throught the clouds, as I began to zip down the last zipper by my left boot, the sun shone brightly through the clouds. As if to mock me. I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

I left the pants on, figuring the best way to ensure a dry ride home was to wear the pants. As we all know, the best way to insure it won't rain, is to wear your rain gear.

Less than a mile after I put on the rain gear, It was bright sunshine, and I came to a toll booth for the Cadi Tunnel (I was unaware of the tunnel). This was the longest tunnel I had yet encountered. Not only in Catalonia, but anywhere, aproximately 3 miles long! It took you right through the mountain range, and dropped me out on the other side... Where it was not raining.

After winding my way back down the other side of the mountain, in traffic, on a 2 lane road, the E-9 "interstate" began again, and I boogied my way back into Barcelona. Even the slab there is entertaining to ride. I found myself riding at between 85-95mph on a freeway that twisted it's way through the landscape, with plenty of long sweeping corners to keep it interesting. Good stuff, and a great day on a motorcycle in a new place.

After getting back to the hotel in Barcelona, knowing that I was running behind schedule, I quickly parked the bike, and ran up to the room to get ready to head to the Olympic stadium for Enduro Cross. I ended up just missing the shuttle I wanted to the stadium, and had to wait around for a 1/2 hour for the next one. I missed the first heat of the races.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #26
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Glad you got back to the report.I know how time consuming it is to put one together. A beautiful area you're riding through.Thanks for taking us along.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #27
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

I guess it's time that I got back around to this before I forget all of the details. Time flies. It's been almost a year now.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 441
Thumb

Spain looks great for adventure riding! I would really love to take my bike and ride the Pyreneean and explore Spain sometime :) Show us mote please!
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

Day 4, my final day of Day Trippin' in Northeast Spain.

We had left the shades open the night before,and when the sun shone directly in, I woke up early. The light was so beautiful that I had to get up and take a picture. I'm not an early riser by nature, so I got my photo, closed the shades, and went back to sleep for a bit.

Sunrise over Barcelona...

That day my plan was to head Due North out of Barcelona on the Highway, to the town of Berga.

I had found a road on Pavillo's map that headed west out of Berga that I wanted to explore. It seemed to skirt some nice mountains, was twisty as all get out, and was highlighted in green on Pavillo's map, which meant that it was also a scenic route. It appeared to be the perfect trifecta!

I was not disappointed.

Heading out the highway, I saw Montserrat. It was a stunning sight with a beautiful blue sky for a backdrop. I stopped at a rest area to get a few pictures.

I knew that I would be a bit pressed for time. There was an event at the XGames that I needed to be back in time for, so I was trying to get to Berga, and get back in time, It's just that these beautiful scenes in foreign lands always compell me to soak them in while I can, knowing that I may never have a chance to enjoy them a second time. XGames highlights can be found on YouTube most anytime.

So I got to Berga, and found the start of the road that I wanted to take.
A few pictures from a quick stop at the begining of the road...

More to come...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #30
BK.RD.RNR OP
Torque Stick

So the road was interesting right from the start. Very narrow tight and twisty (by North American standards), very few cars, and two way traffic throughout. Steep enbankments one one side, and for the most part, steep drop offs on the other side. With all of the rain that the region was having, it was one of my first experiences with small rock slides...

I was riding in and out of drizzling rain and fog/ clouds, trying to stay tight to my side of the road around blind corners, and then you see a few small rocks bouncing down the embankment into my side of the road! A little unnerving when I had never really experienced that before.

As I was riding the road, I kept seeing tons of motorcycles coming at me from the other direction. Lots of them. All kinds, everything from scooters, to sporty scooters, to new and old sport bikes, to BMWs, to SuperMotos, to old 2 stroke Bultacos leaving the intoxicatingly sweet smell of 2 stroke exhaust in their wake.
I couldn't help wondering if there was a rally of some sort passing through?, was this THE most popular road for motorcycles in all of Catalonia?, am I just riding it in the wrong direction?
None the less, I was having a great time, but couldn't help wondering if I was missing the party.

A while later I came to a small town, and there at an Inn on the side of the road were numerous bikes parked. It seemed to be the hotspot for people to get out of the weather for a bit, and warm up/ grab a bite to eat.
Not to be anti-social, but in an effort to keep with my time table, I rode through to the North edge of town, took a little break, and snapped a few pictures...

A little 360* around the bike where I parked...

A couple of would be new friends, had I been carrying some carrots...

A couple of views over the town..

A little while later, I came upon this body of water. The mineral rich color of the water, and landscape, prompted me to stop and take a few pictures. Unfortunately, the pictures don't do the water's color justice..