Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
DRZBRI OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Eureka Springs, AR - Good or Not So Good?

My wife and I are pretty burned out from work, being relatively new parents (2 year old), and maintaining the household. We haven't had a proper vacation since 2010 and she doesn't have the vacation days for a proper one this year but we were thinking about doing a long weekend in Eureka Springs, AR to tide us over until a time that we can take a proper vacation.

We will be driving up in the truck from North TX and taking the gs along in the back for a day of riding or possibly two.

My questions are:

1. What is the riding like in that area?

2. Are there other things to do on our non riding days that will make the trip worth while or should we choose a different part of the state to visit.

Basically, I am willing to drive an approx max of about 500 miles to get to our vacation spot and Eureka Springs is about 461 miles from my house.

Other state destinations that anyone has to recommend are welcome also, mileage can be figured from Granbury, TX.

Thanks in advance for your help.

08 R1200GS
98 VTR1000f
07 DRZ400s
DRZBRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Eureka Springs

Nice town, lots of victorian homes, great walks around town, lots of choices for lodging, nice shops and cafes, and the riding around is great if you like twisty rural roads. Branson and the lakes are close. May be busy this time of year and of course the weather is hot. One of our favorite destinations when we lived in southern Missouri.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
kendall_smith
Orange Supremacist

Oddometer: 176
My wife and I go to ES about a dozen times a year, so I would highly recommend it! It's a great place to get away from day-to-day life, especially if the drive isn't too bad.

I have no idea what your other hobbies are, but since you are taking the bike, you have all of the great riding in the area covered, so that is a good start. As for what roads to ride, some are better than others but for a first timer to the area you literally cannot pick a bad one leaving town. Get an Arkansas state map, fold it so the northwest corner of the state shows in the map window on your tank bag and head for the twistiest lines on it!

My wife and I like to mountain bike, so we usually spend some time at Lake Leatherwood, Blowing Springs and Slaughter Pen (both in the Rogers/Fayetteville area 30 miles west.) There are lots of other things to do in the area- go to the lakes, hike, shop in downtown, eat, Turpentine Creek big cat reserve, etc., etc. Get on the City of Eureka Springs website and subscribe to their email list to get an idea of what to do when you get there.

As for lodging, I would recommend trying one of the many cottages/cabins in the area. Most of them are right in town, but they feel like they are out in the boonies since the forest is so thick around them. Just google "Eureka Springs tree houses" and go from there.

The main restaurants to hit would be Mud Street Cafe (awesome breakfast), Local Flavor (awesome lunch), Casa Colina (Mexican), and Ermilio's (Italian) among all of the others in the area.

Good luck planning your trip! I'm sure you'll have a blast if you do a little planning beforehand.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,005
yes, it's cool bikes blues & bbq, in fayetville is a lot of fun, some of the best riding in ark

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,963
The riding in NE Arkansas is as good as you will find anywhere.

Go to --Butler maps.com-- and order the ozarks map.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,005
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?s=75

there are several of these in nw ark

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516

red bud screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 05:59 PM
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi from Granbury.
You have a leisurely 9 hour drive ahead of you with two hour kidneys. 432 miles to be exact, with the time figured at 65 mph highway and taking a few back road short cuts.

Stay at tall pines Inn, it's semi-primitive/rustic with good owners.

There is everything to do in Eureka, part of which is just going into the small and eclectic historic district to relax and unwind.
we make several trips each year just to keep sanity.
Riding is more than you can explore in a few days time, we're working on year two and haven't really scratched the surface of the place.

Most importantly, it AIN'T Granbury.

Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty View Post
Hi from Granbury.

More info please!!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
DRZBRI OP
Adventurer

Wow! Great to hear I am headed in the right direction. Thanks so much for all the info!

08 R1200GS
98 VTR1000f
07 DRZ400s
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
DRZBRI OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty View Post
Hi from Granbury.
You have a leisurely 9 hour drive ahead of you with two hour kidneys. 432 miles to be exact, with the time figured at 65 mph highway and taking a few back road short cuts.

Stay at tall pines Inn, it's semi-primitive/rustic with good owners.

There is everything to do in Eureka, part of which is just going into the small and eclectic historic district to relax and unwind.
we make several trips each year just to keep sanity.
Riding is more than you can explore in a few days time, we're working on year two and haven't really scratched the surface of the place.

Most importantly, it AIN'T Granbury.

Thanks Hoodcounty. Good to hear from a neighbor on advrider!

08 R1200GS
98 VTR1000f
07 DRZ400s
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
danzigg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Take her and have a great time, u wont regret it..We love it we ride down there 6 times a year...
danzigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,139
If you get tired of the riding around Eureka Springs (is that even possible?), Pea Ridge Civil War battlefield is close by and that is a very interesting half day to a full day right there. Spend an afternoon or evening walking around downtown and nearby to view some beautiful Victorian homes and terraces.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Rufus, Tall Pines was built in 1947, real log cabins. Sits on the edge of Eureka on 62 west about a mile from the historic district and away from all the noise. Its only theme is quiet and relaxing.
Cabins are near primitive by todays motel lodging, bed, small bath with stand up shower, closet space. If you need more room there are larger cabins available. For late night munchies the Rowdy Beaver bar and grill is right across the highway and about 1 block distant. rates are very reasonable.

Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
You can go wrong though!!!!

Not sure what dates you are looking at. I don't recommend ES during the Bikes Blues and BBQ weekend, mainly because of the congestion, IMHO. I doubt you could find a room that weekend anyway. Lots of choices on lodging, one of kids is up there this weekend staying in a treehouse lodging!

There are so many great day rides out of ES you won't begin to scratch the surface. I would recommend 23 south down to just past Huntsville, then take 74 east to Kingston, then 21 to Boxley. Then take 43 North to Ponca. Watch for elk as you come into Ponca, but this time of year they are usually up on the mountain more. At Ponca, take 74 across the Buffalo to the top of the hill, and watch for Steel Creek sign. Go there, it's now paved all the way to the bottom. Awesome scenery there...

From there, you can go back to Ponca and take 43 north, turn on 103 to Osage, then jump 21 back up to 62 and come into ES from the east. That would be about 120 miles. Or you could stay on 74 east to 7 at Jasper and head north back to ES. I don't like 412 and 62 that much, but the rest are awesome.

Just remember to relax and enjoy!! PM is you need more info...
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Faulkner
Patriot

Oddometer: 86
We make a couple of trips to ES every year and we typically stay at the Cresent Hotel in ES, or the 1929 Hotel Seville in Harrison http://1929hotelseville.com/

Take a ride over to Beaver, Arkansas, just outside of ES and ride across the White River on the highway suspention bridge. It's a nice loop around the area.

A scenic ride to War Eagle Mill is worth the trip, just south of ES.

A day trip down and back to the Jasper, AR, area is very cool. Lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper on the town square across from the county courthouse is very good, and just over the mountain is the Arkansas elk herd in Boxley Valley at Ponca. Back in the winter I was making a scenic cruise through Boxley Valley and rounded the curve to see these two starring at me.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote